Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys .. need some support and advise from Built GTR owners. I just finished my Alpha 9 build, with the 3.8L built short block, clutch upgrade 7 superstock, and dms 1st gear: Details on my build in this thread---> MY ALPHA 9 BUILD.

Main issue: Sudden clutch whine & crank noises on low speed, after adjusting my TCM touchpoints (on AUTOMATIC)

Heres what happened. Got the car back, and breaking in the new motor. not flooring it.. did one pull only. Tuner adjusted my CC and Touchpoints to +2, +2, -2 -2.

1) I noticed a lag 1st gear start, while slowly pressing the gas. (best example is: imagine forgetting the handbrake up, and slowly accelerating. same lag).

2) Tuner suggested to adjust touchpoints to 0, 0.. so now new cc/tp are +2, +2, 0, 0. After adjusting to this.. that lag is gone, but 1st gear is now harsh. As I'm slowly rolling off the line it jerks on 1st before shifting to 2nd. (tuner said this is normal, new gear etc.. and because i upped the tp by 2). been driving the car for 4 days now no whine or clutch sound issues. I drove with this setup for 2 days.. no clutch whines or noises.

NOISES BEGIN HERE

3) Tuner suggested to try adjusting the TPs to -1, -1 .. might reduce that jerk. new settings now +2, +2, -1, -1. (this morning). Immediately, something din't feel right.. lag was back + a lot of cranking noise. less than a 100 meters, I just wanted to go back to +2, +2, -2 -2. the original one done by the tuner.

4) The minute i switched back to +2, +2, -2 -2. As im slowly pulling out.. loud cranks and car shuts off with 1st gear blinking. stalled like a manual lol. (in video below).

5) Restarted. Kept driving.. i did notice a little clank as it downshifts from 6th to 5th (tuner/builder said it's ok and normal for new clutches.. i find it odd since it wasn't doing that 4 days ago before playing with the touchpoints)

6) My most concerning noise: as im driving slow, 1st & 2nd, I noticed a loud new whine (in video below), and the cranking gets louder on sharp turns. I'm really concerned.

Built GTR guys.. is this normal with upgraded clutches?? is it normal to suddenly hear these weird noises after 4 days of driving ?? is it just a coincidence the noise appearing after playing with the touchpoints?

thank you in advance..

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heres a second video i took, back to 2, 2, -2, -2

Very loud whine noticeable on slow speed 1st & 2nd.., also when slowing down foot off the gas pedal or braking⦠also while standing still..

https://youtube.com/shorts/5_fcB2LE-d8?feature=share

Similar to the sound in this video i found.. its just weird, Ive driven 97 miles in 4 days now without hearing this until now.. why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I guess the whole, built car drives like it’s stock isn’t really true lol.

It’s more about the ease of driving it. The noises go up exponentially once you get into it. The engine and clutch noises are definitely more pronounced in your video.

With clutches, it does drive very differently. Once you do gears, even more so. 4th is basically straight cut and if you think your car is loud now wait until you do gears :)

If you can get close with the TP and learn to feather the gad to not get the hiccup and bucking. It’s somewhat second nature for me.

I’m assuming your tuner is well known and respected snd this isn’t his dirt clutch swap.

Also the binding you hear when your at low speed is normal and the front diff. Why there is a save mode. Don’t do it if you don’t need to.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
You can always send Shep a log to look at line pressures and tune as well.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I guess the whole, built car drives like itâs stock isnât really true lol.

Itâs more about the ease of driving it. The noises go up exponentially once you get into it. The engine and clutch noises are definitely more pronounced in your video.

With clutches, it does drive very differently. Once you do gears, even more so. 4th is basically straight cut and if you think your car is loud now wait until you do gears :)

If you can get close with the TP and learn to feather the gad to not get the hiccup and bucking. Itâs somewhat second nature for me.

Iâm assuming your tuner is well known and respected snd this isnât his dirt clutch swap.

Also the binding you hear when your at low speed is normal and the front diff. Why there is a save mode. Donât do it if you donât need to.
Yeah Iâm aware about the harsh drive with those upgrades lol. Iâm just surprised why that whining clutch noise suddenly appeared this morning.. after 4 days of driving and not hearing a single whistle/whine.

The builder/tuner will pass by tonight or tomorrow night for a spin and diagnose. Iâm so impatient itâs driving me nuts.. lol i just want to sleep comfortable knowing my car is ok and this is normal

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve been reading & learning all day! And i think i know what I probably did wrong!!!

When i adjusted the tps this morning, trans temp was prob 45c .. as I’m reading now i see how I’ve done it completely wrong. Shall i retry tomorrow doing the following ?

1) warm up trans temp to 60c (150f)

2) parked on flat surface, handbrake engaged with ignition on

3) set cc/tp to 0,0,0,0

4) Run a gear relearning

5) adjust the cc/tp back to +2,+2,0,0

Note: is step 3 & 4 required? Relearn? .. or can i just do the above skipping 3&4.

Is this correct? Was my negligence this morning what caused this whine issue? I hope I dint damage anything

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive been reading & learning all day! And i think i know what I probably did wrong!!!When i adjusted the tps this morning, trans temp was prob 45c .. as Im reading now i see how Ive done it completely wrong. Shall i retry tomorrow doing the following ?1) warm up trans temp to 60c (150f)2) parked on flat surface, handbrake engaged with ignition on3) set cc/tp to 0,0,0,04) Run a gear relearning 5) adjust the cc/tp back to +2,+2,0,0Note: is step 3 & 4 required? Relearn? .. or can i just do the above skipping 3&4.Is this correct? Was my negligence this morning what caused this whine issue? I hope I dint damage anything Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I think steps 3 and 4 are important. I don't think that you seriously damaged anything but definitely do the relearn again.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
I have a fully built trans with billet baskets, gears, clutches etc.....my car shifts and drives very smooth. It's all in the tune.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
You never do a relearn when numbers are not 0. Doesnât sound like you did anything wrong. I have to run 4,4, -2,-2 on stock trans. FBO.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Don't worry you're fine!
You didn't play with TPs and CCs by much to worry about.

+/- 2 is nothing.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,839 Posts
Update: Gear Re-learning & Testing with my Tuner.

Yesterday, I did a gear re-learning. Spoke with my tuner, and he said resetting cc/tp to 0000 before a re-learn isn't necessary. So i waited for the trans temps to warm up, flat surface, handbrake engaged. I set my desired touchpoints, kept the cc's as is +2s. Did the relearn.. went back to cc/tp adjust to make sure it was the same and did not reset to 0000.. and all good, it didn't reset.

Result: The whistling clutch noise was still there, on low speeds (1st-2nd), slowing down, and especially on sharp turns. So my tuner came over to my house to diagnose, and run some cc/tp adjustments.

First of all...he confirmed those clutch whistles/whines are normal, as they're breaking in. Also, i misunderstood what I had.. I thought they were the DMS Superstock 7 plate. It's actually 8/8 plates.

Second, he ran multiple tests with different cc/tps for the best off the line smooth moving. One thing that kept occurring was on 1st , as we slowly accelerate, the RPM drops and the car stalls.. literally like a newbie learning to drive manual lol. NOTE: the car is currently on a temporary tune, as the owner promised to have my car ready for me to drive during the holiday last week..so it was a temp tune to drive "sensibly" lol during my break-in stage.

He decided to take back the car to the shop...flush the fluids out and refill.. and fine tuning (the one that he was planning to do post my 1000km break in, including the C16 maps). @wicked - i agree..it's alll in the tune!

will update you after testing the car for a few day, once I get the car back tomorrow evening hopefully. I do update faster on my Instagram GTR page and Blog .. if you're interested to get the feedback faster haha

IG GTR page: @gwynethbluepearl

IG GTR blog: @majj.garage

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Sounds like you are almost “there” congrats

·
Registered
99 Posts
It takes many revisions to dial in clutch settings on speed density. I have dodson 16 plate and while its almost there, It still jerks or shifts hard in a few spots depending on throttle. I've had Taylor from Cicio tune it and most of the time it drives nice, but it's far from when it was on a stock clutches and a Maf tune.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you are almost "there" congrats
yes hopefully, thank you !

It takes many revisions to dial in clutch settings on speed density. I have dodson 16 plate and while its almost there, It still jerks or shifts hard in a few spots depending on throttle. I've had Taylor from Cicio tune it and most of the time it drives nice, but it's far from when it was on a stock clutches and a Maf tune.
that's true. takes time lol. I'm not on speed density, my tune is based on SD though. but yeah all aftermarket clutche upgrades will never be the same smooth drive as factory parts. getting used to it slowly lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts