Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,183 Posts
EcuTek's Position on the Cobb Announcement:
Many of you have been asking where EcuTek stands with regards to the changes made to the COBB software, given we are in the same group.
In order to comply with the EPA regulations in the USA, for USDM cars only, EcuTek software will eventually incorporate similar changes to those made to the COBB software.
For Europe and The Rest of the World markets, EcuTek software will not change and will not incorporate these changes.
The timeline for making these changes to the software for the USDM market has not been defined as yet, however as there will be a consultation period to spec out the changes and a development period to make the changes it is reasonable to expect that they will not come into effect until early next year.
We will, of course, keep you informed of progress and will try and provide you with regular updates/timelines so as you can make any plans you need to. — with Tobin Sinclair

·
Super Moderator
9,183 Posts
Cobb and EcuTek along with BC Consulting and Innovate are owned by an investment group. That group is based in the US, therefore is under the scrutiny of the EPA. The group has therefore taken the view that it does not want to 'poke the monkey' and wishes to do what it needs to do to become compliant. This then goes for any of the group companies whether they are located in the US or not. HP Tuners is not owned by a group based in the US so are therefore not under the same pressure to comply. I have no idea what they are thinking right now, but they are not under the same scrutiny as our US owners are so I suspect they can choose to be compliant or not.

Reactions: droptopp

·
Super Moderator
9,183 Posts
And then you will only be affected if at the time you want to be retuned we have in fact removed the tables. It could take a while to make these changes. As I said it would be realistic to expect no changes will be made until early next year. And I would say that's at the earliest.

Tobin Sinclair
Hi everyone, there is a lot to discuss here and to understand how we can make our software compliant is going to be a big job. But I'll try to simplify what I know at this point in time: If our software is used to tune a car that is located in an area where the EPA has jurisdiction, then the software used will need to be compliant. So if a tuner is located in Europe but is tuning a car that is located in the US, then the EcuTek software they use will need to be compliant. Likewise, if the tuner was located in the US. If however the tuner is located in the US but tuning a car that is located outside of an area over which the EPA has jurisdiction, then the software used does not have to be compliant. So tuners located in the US tuning a car in Canada can use the non-compliant software. What exactly defines compliance and how we make the above work, in reality, is what the consultation period is for.

Reactions: colo_evo

·
Super Moderator
9,183 Posts
What about US tuners just hiding behind vpn's when using Ecutek??? Logs and roms could be attained from an anonymous cloud service.

·
Super Moderator
9,183 Posts
Looks like there is embedded circuitry in the cables that is required to function properly with the Gateway. I can feel a hard piece of something below the heat shrink tube.
So your cable that you made did not work as planned?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts