Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Compliance isn't just black and white so I'm hopeful someone (not necessarily the parent company of Cobb or Ecutek) will figure out other ways of complying with current EPA guidelines. Not trying to turn this discussion political but the current administration has another 18+ months in office. Could a change in administration change what the EPA deems a priority in enforcement?

I wonder if the firmware update process we sometimes encounter when connecting to the bluetooth Ecutek adapter from the phone app will do anything to tunes created prior to these changes.
This is wishful thinking. These enforcement actions started under the previous administration.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I picked up my car from RD last week Ronnie mentioned this fiasco to me. I'm glad I changed to ECUTEK a few years back. I'll ask him about ECUTEK and their coming changes and how that affects how he will tune cars in the future. At least my Montana registered GTR doesn't have to worry about CA smog anymore.

I wonder how different states handle the emissions aspect since some states, like CA are so restrictive now while other states, like Montana have no emission requirements at all.

And since Motec is a completely different ECU, how would that affect emissions and smog going forward? Is there a chance Motec will have to make changes as well? I know Motec is in Australia, but have locations in the US as well.
Cobb is not worried about CARB. If they were really that worried about CARB they would sell two products. One would be old AccessTuner. One would be CARB-compliant AccessTuner. Cobb is concerned about the federal EPA suing them to death which is a very real possibility. It is entirely possible they've already received letters from the EPA asking for sales data and other records which is the precursor to a letter offering either a very expensive settlement or a long court case. EPA jurisdiction is at the nationwide level. It is illegal in the entire US to delete or defeat any emissions control system in a street car. The EPA is just not a particularly well funded agency that can afford to prosecute every last R35 owner that decats their car. That doesn't mean that law doesn't exist and they can't take you to court over it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts