Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does anyone have an installer of the 2.2.1 version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if they do it won't help you because every copy of access tuner is bound to the serial number that was registered with the ap serial number when then EFI University course was done. You cannot use that copy on any other access port serial number.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Even if they do it won't help you because every copy of access tuner is bound to the serial number that was registered with the ap serial number when then EFI University course was done. You cannot use that copy on any other access port serial number.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Oh. Well that sucks lol. So I did my tune with Churchs automotive here in s cali and I just wanted to back up my files on my pc instead of only on the ap in case I ever need to switch. I blocked the apmanager app with windows firewall and disabled auto updates. I’m hoping trying to back it up won’t cause issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to follow up even though I had 3.1.5 installed disabling updates and blocking with the firewall and no updates were forced. There was even a little dialog at the bottom of the app saying it could not get updates.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tobin Sinclair
Hi everyone, there is a lot to discuss here and to understand how we can make our software compliant is going to be a big job. But I'll try to simplify what I know at this point in time: If our software is used to tune a car that is located in an area where the EPA has jurisdiction, then the software used will need to be compliant. So if a tuner is located in Europe but is tuning a car that is located in the US, then the EcuTek software they use will need to be compliant. Likewise, if the tuner was located in the US. If however the tuner is located in the US but tuning a car that is located outside of an area over which the EPA has jurisdiction, then the software used does not have to be compliant. So tuners located in the US tuning a car in Canada can use the non-compliant software. What exactly defines compliance and how we make the above work, in reality, is what the consultation period is for.
Compliance isn't just black and white so I'm hopeful someone (not necessarily the parent company of Cobb or Ecutek) will figure out other ways of complying with current EPA guidelines. Not trying to turn this discussion political but the current administration has another 18+ months in office. Could a change in administration change what the EPA deems a priority in enforcement?

I wonder if the firmware update process we sometimes encounter when connecting to the bluetooth Ecutek adapter from the phone app will do anything to tunes created prior to these changes.

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
Doesn't matter if you're grandfathered, the new software updates will force the updated things to throw codes I'm sure EcuTek will do something similar as Cobb.
Sorry, by grandfathered I mean I have no reason to need a new tune. As long as I don’t update the AP then try to reflash the car I won’t have a single issue. I’m at the limits of Cobb anyways so won’t need a revision.

Same with Ecutek - as long as I don’t update the program while I flash my inspection tune don’t see how any issues can arise.

As added Safety just keep your laptops off of WiFi/SIM service when you plan on doing anything with the software.

Reactions: Despawned

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,968 Posts
Geezez Murphy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Compliance isn't just black and white so I'm hopeful someone (not necessarily the parent company of Cobb or Ecutek) will figure out other ways of complying with current EPA guidelines. Not trying to turn this discussion political but the current administration has another 18+ months in office. Could a change in administration change what the EPA deems a priority in enforcement?

I wonder if the firmware update process we sometimes encounter when connecting to the bluetooth Ecutek adapter from the phone app will do anything to tunes created prior to these changes.
This is wishful thinking. These enforcement actions started under the previous administration.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This is wishful thinking. These enforcement actions started under the previous administration.
Wishful thinking, always, because there's a chance.

Different leadership is always going to yield different priorities in what they want to enforce and the degree they pursue compliance. Same goes for the other agencies whether it be immigration, narcotics, firearms, taxes, etc.

The proactive changes anticipating enforcement actions ramped up significantly in 4Q 2020 after JB was voted into office. Various parts for our cars started disappearing from distribution channels following the election that year. I barely got orders in for some discontinued parts prior to getting cut off completely in the middle of a build. When I asked our account manager about why certain parts were all of a sudden unavailable, he was quite frank about it being a result of anticipated stepped up EPA regulations enforcement with the administration change. Asked again last year and got the same response.

So while I agree they're always "enforcing", their previous level of enforcement didn't result in actions where distributors were washing their hands of potential legal repercussions from the feds.

Reactions: gtrbillet

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why not just offer 2 tunes: One that complies with all their nanny regulations, and one for off-road use?

Make the end user sign a waiver stating that their vehicle will only be used for off-road applications, and the company washes it's hands of any liability.

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
Why not just offer 2 tunes: One that complies with all their nanny regulations, and one for off-road use?

Make the end user sign a waiver stating that their vehicle will only be used for off-road applications, and the company washes it's hands of any liability.
I had to sign a waiver for the tune on the NSX.

If it’s emissions only, a GTR on stock all seasons and tune only has run a 10.6 through factory exhaust. Hosed long the factory cats last like that, well who knows.

A 991.2 or 992 tune only will run 9’s through factory cats.

All the FBO GTR guys still can run about the same and can probably add a MP with some sort of dump / blow off setup and still make all the noise they want.

It’s the turbo swap crowd and higher that will need to go to Ecutek now or motec.

The M cars tune only have been running low 10’s through factory exhaust for years.

Man search YouTube for the doom and gloom from the Subie guys - world ended according to them.

Reactions: L.L.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You can still make up to about 1500hp on Cobb with MAF so all is not lost. The standard off the shelf rescaled Hitachi MAF sensors support about 1000hp in a 3" tube and can be scaled higher. The Cobb CANBUS setup is designed to run the flex fuel and fuel pressure so you no longer have to route through the secondary air injection pump and disable DTC's. You can potentially have a 1500hp setup even with all DTC's enabled, but this will be a change in your setup because of the MAF integration. Also, blow through MAF allows you to run VTA Tial BOV's with no issues. I went ahead and ordered the complete CanBus setup so I can convert everything over now and turn on the DTC's for the secondary air injection where the flex currently resides.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
So how's that affecting a regular user tund via Cobb AP 007 ?!

Like shouldn't we update our software whenever there's some popping on?! lol

I'm pretty sure i understand it incorrectly!

A variation on this question...
If I go to my tuner to make a small change to my existing SD MAP (such as increasing preliminary start-up pump time; something not related to emissions, for an example of my question)...and if the tuner has the new "hobbled" software...will my MAP be hobbled in any other way (perhaps accidentally)?

Alexd

·
Registered
364 Posts
A variation on this question...
If I go to my tuner to make a small change to my existing SD MAP (such as increasing preliminary start-up pump time; something not related to emissions, for an example of my question)...and if the tuner has the new "hobbled" software...will my MAP be hobbled in any other way (perhaps accidentally)?

Alexd
When your tuner hits save on the ROM, all DTC’s will get toggled on. You have about 11 days to work out things like pump priming time. Or any other trivial change…

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
When your tuner hits save on the ROM, all DTC’s will get toggled on. You have about 11 days to work out things like pump priming time. Or any other trivial change…

I want to be very sure that I understand your explanation:

So, do you mean that IF the tuner (knowing about what Cobb is going to do, and taking preventative measures) doesn't update his software...then I'm fine for whatever change I wish him to make to my MAP?

But if the tuner HAS the new updates that hobble his software, then I cannot use any adjusted MAP that I might ask him for, because it won't be SD for me anymore, as well as having other problems?

Alexd

21 - 40 of 75 Posts