Nissan GT-R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
To be clear.....This will put an end to all speed density Cobb tunes?
That seems to be the case...but I'm asking a variation to the question:

If my tuner has the new software and I come in with my SD MAP...does the software simply REFUSE to modify it, or does it go one step further and make my MAP unusable? In-other-words, I shouldn't let the tuner touch it; whatever I have now is all that I'll ever have in the future with COBB?

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
I think many of us would find it very interesting as to what comments some of the major tuners have to say about this, either officially here in public (or unofficially in PMs). As an example, (to pick one of many) is AMS going to cease selling some of their Alpha series mods? Perhaps someone "tight" with them, or of one of other tuners might ask them...

Alexd

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
^ they will migrate you to Ecutek until that’s shut down as well.

Better get it dialed in fast. Hopefully shops can find a work around like keeping a secondary laptop and just not updating it.

Crazy thing is what thus will do for track support or race events.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
We all need to move to Mexico. 😆

Based on a discussion on FB regarding EcuTek with one party being someone associated with EcuTek...

If a USDM car is tuned by a US-based tuner in Mexico, the EPA has no jurisdiction and thus no limitations on the software. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I think many of us would find it very interesting as to what comments some of the major tuners have to say about this, either officially here in public (or unofficially in PMs). As an example, (to pick one of many) is AMS going to cease selling some of their Alpha series mods? Perhaps someone "tight" with them, or of one of other tuners might ask them...

Alexd
This is just my observation based on my own interests in the Alpha products.

Their downpipes were removed from their website last year although they may still be available with some waivers (see below). The distributors I have access to removed all of AMS's non-EPA compliant products from their offerings and the current offerings are very limited in scope. At first it was just preventing us from shipping to CARB states (specifically CA addresses) then the parts got pulled altogether. One distributor's marketing team announced the new Omega turbo kits and had it posted for one or two days then pulled it off their site. I asked our account manager what happened and they said it was a mistake, should have never been published due to EPA non-compliance. The rest of the Alpha turbo kits (14x, 15x, etc) have also since been pulled from the distributor sites.

This was added within the last 18 months as well...

This product is designed for installation on a race-only vehicle, defined as a vehicle that is used exclusively for competition and that cannot be licensed or registered for use on the public roads and highways within the United States. This product is not available for sale on emissions-controlled vehicles within the United States without a completed AMS Race Waiver form. International users outside of the United States should act in accordance with their local laws and regulations.

Based on all of that, it just seems to me like someone wanted to ensure the CYA was ironclad and there was no ambiguity about legal liability if the EPA decided to go all-in on making an example of someone.

Reactions: alexdavis

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
What about US tuners just hiding behind vpn's when using Ecutek??? Logs and roms could be attained from an anonymous cloud service.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I can confirm that I am able to upload a version 2.2.1+18263.15947 tune on my AP with firmware version 1.7.4.1-18506 using AP Manager version 3.1.5. I can also confirm I am able to flash the ECU with this combination.
I almost never use AP Manager because i hook the AP between the car and my laptop for tuning and file loading. I went to start AP Manager 3.1.3 and it was trying to connect to the internet, but because I had the internet cut off it could not. Below is the message I received.

Rectangle Font Magenta Logo Circle

At this point you cannot access any of the files on the AP itself unless in "online" mode. Are you letting AP Manager 3.1.5 connect to the internet?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, I let it connect to the internet. I just decline any AP Manager updates or AP firmware updates.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
When I picked up my car from RD last week Ronnie mentioned this fiasco to me. I'm glad I changed to ECUTEK a few years back. I'll ask him about ECUTEK and their coming changes and how that affects how he will tune cars in the future. At least my Montana registered GTR doesn't have to worry about CA smog anymore.

I wonder how different states handle the emissions aspect since some states, like CA are so restrictive now while other states, like Montana have no emission requirements at all.

And since Motec is a completely different ECU, how would that affect emissions and smog going forward? Is there a chance Motec will have to make changes as well? I know Motec is in Australia, but have locations in the US as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I got this response from RD on this subject:

Only cobb is affected at the moment and they have to comply with CARB from what I understand. So will only affect CA and similar states sometimes next year. Not sure how they will regulate ecutek, as they are from the UK.

If the time came and ecutek made changes to the program that eliminated emission control support, It wouldn’t affect someone that didn’t wish to revise a tune further.

I asked him about Motec as well, but he did not say anything about them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I picked up my car from RD last week Ronnie mentioned this fiasco to me. I'm glad I changed to ECUTEK a few years back. I'll ask him about ECUTEK and their coming changes and how that affects how he will tune cars in the future. At least my Montana registered GTR doesn't have to worry about CA smog anymore.

I wonder how different states handle the emissions aspect since some states, like CA are so restrictive now while other states, like Montana have no emission requirements at all.

And since Motec is a completely different ECU, how would that affect emissions and smog going forward? Is there a chance Motec will have to make changes as well? I know Motec is in Australia, but have locations in the US as well.
Cobb is not worried about CARB. If they were really that worried about CARB they would sell two products. One would be old AccessTuner. One would be CARB-compliant AccessTuner. Cobb is concerned about the federal EPA suing them to death which is a very real possibility. It is entirely possible they've already received letters from the EPA asking for sales data and other records which is the precursor to a letter offering either a very expensive settlement or a long court case. EPA jurisdiction is at the nationwide level. It is illegal in the entire US to delete or defeat any emissions control system in a street car. The EPA is just not a particularly well funded agency that can afford to prosecute every last R35 owner that decats their car. That doesn't mean that law doesn't exist and they can't take you to court over it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RD:
" If the time came and ecutek made changes to the program that eliminated emission control support, It wouldn’t affect someone that didn’t wish to revise a tune further "

so how's that different than Cobb ?!!
Did he want to say " it wouldn't affect someone that WISHES to revise a tune further " ?!!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
RD:
" If the time came and ecutek made changes to the program that eliminated emission control support, It wouldn’t affect someone that didn’t wish to revise a tune further "

so how's that different than Cobb ?!!
Did he want to say " it wouldn't affect someone that WISHES to revise a tune further " ?!!
It's not any different than Cobb. He is just saying that when Ecutek makes the same changes you are not affected as long as you don't need to change your tune. Your only hope long terms would be to pick up a V3 tied to AccessTuner 2.2.1 and learn to tune yourself. I wonder what someone could charge for that once Ecutek goes woke.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ok i'll put it this way .. I'm with USDM GTR but i live in GCC which is CARB/Emissions is not even a subject here lol but indeed i do update my tunes every now and then due to some modifications/changes i go thro..

2015 fbo
Cobb - nis007

Should i worry about this dilemma?!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts