Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Cobb 3.5" catless mid pipe for my 2012 and should sound great. I am strongly considering the HKS Legamax( looks like I am ordering tomorrow). What are the advantages of the cat back ? Any issues with the HKS Legamax bolting up to the Cobb 3.5 " mid pipe ? I am looking for an aggressive sound with little drone OK, not major drone. How is this set up going to sound ? I am just wondering what is to be gained with the Legamax over the OEM cat back. Any imput ? BTW I am not looking to do any othe MODS due to my extended warranty, just want the GT-R to sound like a GT-R.

·
Founder/Admin
26,259 Posts
i had the legamax on my 09 and i loved it great quality piece .... it was bolted to a non resonated HKS midpipe so while the legamax is a very tame catback comparatively ... the combo was fairly loud due to the non resonated mid..... most resonated midpipes sound similar and the legamax doesnt increase sound too much at all just gives it a richer tone.... you should be good.... if you want real aggressive with a legamax .... non resonated might be your choice... although your idea of aggressive and mine could be different....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I like the Legamax as well. Sound is really nice.

Only downfall is the weight since it's stainless. If you want to save a lot of weight, look into titanium, but it will cost $$

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the legamax on my 09 and i loved it great quality piece .... it was bolted to a non resonated HKS midpipe so while the legamax is a very tame catback comparatively ... the combo was fairly loud due to the non resonated mid..... most resonated midpipes sound similar and the legamax doesnt increase sound much at all just gives it a richer tone.... you should be good.... if you want real aggressive with a legamax .... non resonated might be your choice... although your idea of aggressive and mine could be different....
My Cobb mid pipe is NON resonated and also catless. Both Cobb mid pipes are NON resonated , one catted, other one no cats. What do I gain by dumping the OEM cat back and going with the Flux Legamax ?

·
Founder/Admin
26,259 Posts
My Cobb mid pipe is NON resonated and also catless. Both Cobb mid pipes are NON resonated , one catted, other one no cats. What do I gain by dumping the OEM cat back and going with the Flux Legamax ?
oh ok gotcha.... then you will be good on the aggressive sound!

i bet it will sound very close to my 09.... you will have better tone than with midpipe alone... gain more hp...(not as much as the midpipe gives) but probably low 20ish total with the combo.... its lighter than stock and you get the cool blue tips...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody running the Cobb mid pipe and HKS Legamax ? How does the 3.5 " ( I think 3.5" = 88 mm) section bolt up to the Legamax 85mm ? I know the Cobb mid pipe has a flange insert to reduce the Cobb to mate up with the OEM system. I would assume the flange is not needed with the 85 mm Legamax. I do not want any leaks in any of the sections.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
I don't wish to Hi-Jack this thread; perhaps this question is useful:

If you have a tuned 2012 car with stock down-pipes and a resonated mid-pipe, how much additional HP (if any) can realistically be expected with the addition of any aftermarket exhaust/muffler? A related question: Is there any weight savings with any non-titanium aftermarket exhaust/muffler?

Alexd

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok gotcha.... then you will be good on the aggressive sound!

i bet it will sound very close to my 09.... you will have better tone than with midpipe alone... gain more hp...(not as much as the midpipe gives) but probably low 20ish total with the combo.... its lighter than stock and you get the cool blue tips...
And I swore I would not MOD the GT-R (LOL).

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't wish to Hi-Jack this thread; perhaps this question is useful:

If you have a tuned 2012 car with stock down-pipes and a resonated mid-pipe, how much additional HP (if any) can realistically be expected with the addition of any aftermarket exhaust/muffler? A related question: Is there any weight savings with any non-titanium aftermarket exhaust/muffler?

Alexd
Valid question. I think the only benefit of the Legamax over the OEM would be a more tuned tone and the tips . It was easy to spend several hundred on a mid pipe, but very hard to spend several thousand on a cat back and not get nearly the benefits of the mid pipe.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Valid question. I think the only benefit of the Legamax over the OEM would be a more tuned tone and the tips . It was easy to spend several hundred on a mid pipe, but very hard to spend several thousand on a cat back and not get nearly the benefits of the mid pipe.
Thanks.

That's what I'm GUESSING too...that for bang-for-the-buck, it's not too great. Primarily the advantage is aesthetic; looks and sound. (Nothing wrong with that! It's just that...speaking just for myself...I'm primarily wanting a performance increase for the cost, and not any tone-change or significant added noise volume)

Alexd

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
With legamax, you will have little to near no drone. I like legamax, too. Consider the Greddy 90 mm stainless steel exhaust as well. Very nice exhaust.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With legamax, you will have little to near no drone. I like legamax, too. Consider the Greddy 90 mm stainless steel exhaust as well. Very nice exhaust.
No drone with a NON resonated and catless mid pipe ?

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
No drone with a NON resonated and catless mid pipe ?
oh lawd, I thought u ordered the catted midpipe the whole time after read and replied from my iphone. Sry. I blame on my iphone. ROFL You will have lil drone but at the acceptable rate with the legamax in my opinion as long as you don't remove the stock dp.

·
Founder/Admin
26,259 Posts
ya i had a bit of drone with the non resonated HKS and the legamax...but not really bad just a background hum on the interstate at about 3K rpm

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you do the Cobb and stick with the stock rear section of the exhaust, you should have zero drone. If you pair it with the Legamax, expect an exhaust note that's quite a bit louder and increased drone. The Cobb midpipe includes a little spacer/adapter thing that allows its installation with a smaller diameter exhaust.

In all honesty, you really don't need the catback if you're just looking for an increase in sound. A catback doesn't make that much more power on its own, and without a tune there isn't a huge amount of power to be gained on a 2012.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
These are the two exhausts I strongly prefer.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
If you do the Cobb and stick with the stock rear section of the exhaust, you should have zero drone. If you pair it with the Legamax, expect an exhaust note that's quite a bit louder and increased drone. The Cobb midpipe includes a little spacer/adapter thing that allows its installation with a smaller diameter exhaust.

In all honesty, you really don't need the catback if you're just looking for an increase in sound. A catback doesn't make that much more power on its own, and without a tune there isn't a huge amount of power to be gained on a 2012.
i am not so sure about that. legamax is only 1 db LOUDER than the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is what I have been thinking and I am now up in the air on the cat back. BTW is there a gasket on both sides of the Cobb spacer ? Or do I use the one factory gasket on that side of the pipe ? I am not sure if Cobb includes any gaskets. The mid pipe is in transit so I do not know.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
BTW is there a gasket on both sides of the Cobb spacer ? Or do I use the one factory gasket on that side of the pipe ? I am not sure if Cobb includes any gaskets. The mid pipe is in transit so I do not know.
I don't know if this helps, but when I installed my mid-pipe, I re-used the factory gaskets. I felt they were superior to the new ones that were supplied with the pipe. I did of course use gasket sealer in addition. (I did not replace my exhaust/muffler)

Alexd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.