Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sophisticated
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting peeved at Cobb's crappie customer service these days. Rude marketing people and a unfortunate business model.

Why should we have to pay twice for an Accesport ? I heard all of us with Version 2 Accesports will be forced to PAY more money to upgrade to Cobb's new V3 in the near future. They will stop supporting the V2. The V2's hardware will not support future updates. How convenient.

Customers pay big $$ to buy a Cobb AP in the first place. Cobb should stand by their product and provide free hardware upgrades. Greedy Cobb!!

My V2 with TCM support will only record every third or so data log run. It starts datalogging fine then errors out when I hit the stop button. I have tried THREE different cords and my AP is in perfect shape. The pins are in perfect shape. I have actually had this issue for years. With my 2010 and now my 2013. Here is a pic.

Speedometer Steering part Automotive design Vehicle Gauge

I could also go on about the knock issues I'm having after shifts with Cobb software and the rude marketing people that work for the company but I digress.

------------------

Attachments

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Maybe they can send you a new cable. I upgraded to the v3 and they gave me 450 dollars for my v2.

·
7.9 @ 175mph (Gen 3 SBD1400R)
8,564 Posts
Tim is traveling and asked me to post this on his behalf:

Dear church,

V2 Accessports are absolutely fully functional. However, as the GTR features expand there will be a point where we run out of hardware capability. Ask your fiesta to pull a trailer home. Can't do it. ;) if you are satisfied with the current feature set - it's well beyond what most folks will ever use - your v2 is perfectly fine.

Electronics have a useful life span. Ask Samsung or Sony to offer you money back for your 2 year old TV. It won't happen. COBB works with its customers to keep their hardware current.

Cobb customer service hasn't changed. What has changed is that we've stopped giving you free Accessports and software. I'm sorry the limits of our generosity mark the boundaries of your support and the beginnings of your negative public postings.

Cobb Accesstuner for GTR kicks ass. It's world class record setting and state of the art. It's user friendly for daily drivers and simultaneously powerful for 2000hp world record cars.

We're exceptional proud of the product. It's likely best value in the GTR world.

Best regards
Tim Bailey

·
Registered
444 Posts
agree
electronics have a limited lifespan. I purchased a used V2 and got credit towards a V3 which I think is more than fair. If you bought a V2 and are "limited" to the V2 features, I see nothing wrong with that. How is it any different than Microsoft or Apple asking you to pay more money for the newest operating system?? If you bought and older product, at some point in time it will stop being supported.... The AP is no different....

·
Forza Felipe
1,716 Posts
I have had no problem ever with cobb. Whenever I needed any help they went beyond the call of duty. The only shitty part is that I bought an access port for my 2012 gtr and sold to pick up a brand née 2014. I sold my access port as soon as I sold the 2012. Three months later I got to itch to tune it so winded up buying another one and I have had for 4 months and still haven't installed it cause I don't want to void my brand new warranty lol so it's been collecting dust for months go figure.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
GPS units are like this (garmin etc) - you buy a unit with lifetime maps but the maps are really only good for as long as that model is supported. When the newer technology makes yours obsolete, they pull the plug on supporting it in favor of the newer models. Just a fact of life with electonics.

·
GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015
1,042 Posts
What a great excuse to trade it in for the new one! The ux is so much nicer now! I'm sorry the old one isn't delivering but turn those lemons into lemonade.

·
Sophisticated
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim Bailey
Tim,

I'm just calling it as it is. I have issues with my accessport not correctly logging AND my car knocking during shifts. You stopped replying to my emails. I'm not just going to give up and hide under a rock.

You never "gave" me an accesport. Cobb entered into an advertising agreement with my company and I. We both benefited.

I have held back about being public with my issues with Cobb products and service in hopes that we could work out a fix for my current issues.
It seems others have the same issues and their requests are also falling on deaf ears at Cobb.
Now that Cobb has a person (Chris) that is actually willing to reach out and help, you might get somewhere with your customers in need. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why should we have to pay twice for an Accesport ? I heard all of us with Version 2 Accesports will be forced to PAY more money to upgrade to Cobb's new V3 in the near future. They will stop supporting the V2. The V2's hardware will not support future updates. How convenient.

Customers pay big $$ to buy a Cobb AP in the first place. Cobb should stand by their product and provide free hardware upgrades. Greedy Cobb!!
------------------
Have you lodged a similar complaint with Apple? Let me know how it goes, I have a few useless iPhones, Macbook Pros, and Mac Pros lying around with combined purchased value of $14k.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are you kidding me. You bought a V2 Accessport and think you are entitled to a free upgrade to V3?!

Hey Apple, I have an old IPhone 3 and expect you to give me the new Iphone 6s in exchange.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
The fact that you have not switched to EcuTek amazes me. I find it fascinating.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Expecting cobb to give you new hardware is just not going to happen. And before you go bashing cobb take a look at Ecutek they are charging for a SOFTWARE update, now that's ridiculous. And to top it off they still haven't even changed rolling boost even though everyone has been telling them for 2 years that it sucks in its current form.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You never "gave" me an accesport. Cobb entered into an advertising agreement with my company and I. We both benefited.
Tim might disagree about you both benefiting. I'm guessing this isn't the type of advertising he thought he would get.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have a V3 and it datalogs every time. When did your V2 start having this issue? Cobb has been great with my inquiries and support, even got a replacement cable when my clip broke on the plug. But after a while the warrantee will run out and as is with all electronics, it's time to upgrade.

Complaining that you cannot use the new software and features is like someone complaining why their old model Apple iPhone does not support the new software update. Eventually the hardware will need to be upgraded as it will not support the new software features.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts