Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get work done on my 2010. Downpipes, injectors and tune. Already have intake and midpipe. Would the only reason to get the ecutek be for the launch control? I hate the current launch i have!!!! Thanks for you help

·
Registered
360 Posts
Cobb seems to be making progress on the 2010 GTR LC considering the new thread that they made. I like that with the cobb you don't need a laptop which makes uninstalling/reinstalling easy. I guess it just comes down to preference. I like that cobb has a presence here on the forums which is a plus. I think Ecutek is just represented by vendors if I'm not mistaken. Also not sure if Ecutek supports e-tunes or not.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Going to get work done on my 2010. Downpipes, injectors and tune. Already have intake and midpipe. Would the only reason to get the ecutek be for the launch control? I hate the current launch i have!!!! Thanks for you help
Both are great products.

Yesterday Cobb had a break thru with the 2010 Launch Control issue

see - http://www.nagtroc.o...t-what-this-is/

Launch Control still isn't adjustable on the fly like EcuTek - but at least you'll have Launch Control now.

We use both in house - and both products have there Pro's & Cons.

Launch Control isn't the only great feature EcuTek has to offer

Valet mode is cool - http://www.nagtroc.o...rom-valet-mode/

LC5 Compatitbility - http://www.nagtroc.o...st-impressions/

Emission friendly when running SD

Consult friendly (Dealer Tools)

Per Cylinder Fuel Trimming

Cold start cranking tables

Not to say Cobb isn't great because we LOVE using Cobb AP over here.

-John (On Jim's computer)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I had previously purchased a Cobb before EcuTek started releasing all the capabilities. John from TheShopct was looking for a 2011 and offered to tune me on EcuTek. I am 100% happy with how the car now rides with the smoother take off and gear changes in addition to the greater power curve in the mid range.

If you are in the Tri state John makes time to take care of all his customers needs.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
You will be happy with either. I suggest giving the ecutek a try or at least talk to John at the shop first as he is unbiased unlike some other shops. Many tcm features and sounds like more to come soon.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
EcuTek shows more capability while Cobb has actual results. Having run Cobb in real conditions, it is amazing. I have no problem launching and car makes great power.
Actual track results only a few days a way

TheShopCt has a track rental on March 5 and they have a high hp big turbo car on Ecutek and me with stock turbos intake and 90 mm exhaust. (stock downpipes)

Hope that's real world conditions enough for you.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
how big are these Gt800's I'm still trying to figure out their size... larger then a GT28?? cause thats still not technically a "Big Turbo" setup... it is definitely an upgrade tho. But what are the 800's good for.. i know people making 800whp on gt28's and they spool very close to stock.. then u have gt30's which are getting larger.. a turbo like my 5858 which is a touch up and then Gt35's and alpha 12s which are again another step up.. i kinda feel the GT800's are at the bottom of the chart.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
how big are these Gt800's I'm still trying to figure out their size... larger then a GT28?? cause thats still not technically a "Big Turbo" setup... it is definitely an upgrade tho. But what are the 800's good for.. i know people making 800whp on gt28's and they spool very close to stock.. then u have gt30's which are getting larger.. a turbo like my 5858 which is a touch up and then Gt35's and alpha 12s which are again another step up.. i kinda feel the GT800's are at the bottom of the chart.
We put a bigger compressor wheel in it.

*in my opinion regarding the size of turbos bigger than alpha 10, smaller than alpha 12.

Is that big enough ? ;)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
GT800 is at the bottom fo the chart but it is the most practical for a street car. Map any other of those turbo's compressor map bigger than HKS to a 3.8L or even a 4.0L you will see it is not a good match. Alot of lag and turbos are too big for the engine unless you plan on running over 35 psi! Makes no sense to me to size a turbo for over 35 psi if it is a street car when you are rarely there. Sure it will generate big dyno #s and big 1 mile trap speed, but very few of us would put that on top priorities.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
i agree goon... i am just relating the need for launch control systems and turbo size... feel the 2012 launch method on a very street able turbo setup is more then good. I am saying where the work needs to be focused on is all these record breaking 8 second cars... i did not realize the gt800's are bigger then an ALPHA 10 turbo.. i would have guessed they were alpha 9 or smaller. They come on nice for a turbo that big. And the compressor wheel really does not effect lag at all, its 90% the exhaust side.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i agree goon... i am just relating the need for launch control systems and turbo size... feel the 2012 launch method on a very street able turbo setup is more then good. I am saying where the work needs to be focused on is all these record breaking 8 second cars... i did not realize the gt800's are bigger then an ALPHA 10 turbo.. i would have guessed they were alpha 9 or smaller. They come on nice for a turbo that big. And the compressor wheel really does not effect lag at all, its 90% the exhaust side.
HKS GT 800 series turbos are not bigger then the AMS Apha 10 series turbos , the GT 800 series turbos are approximately equivalent to a GT30 series turbocharger , we are currently running and have upgraded Billet compressor wheels that can and will support a 100 plus whp over and above the standard off the shelf units with out sacrifing the low end and spool . Definately not a smal turbo by any means .

Thanks - Jimmy

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
Both are great products.

Yesterday Cobb had a break thru with the 2010 Launch Control issue

see - http://www.nagtroc.o...t-what-this-is/

Launch Control still isn't adjustable on the fly like EcuTek - but at least you'll have Launch Control now.

We use both in house - and both products have there Pro's & Cons.

Launch Control isn't the only great feature EcuTek has to offer

Valet mode is cool - http://www.nagtroc.o...rom-valet-mode/

LC5 Compatitbility - http://www.nagtroc.o...st-impressions/

Emission friendly when running SD

Consult friendly (Dealer Tools)

Per Cylinder Fuel Trimming

Cold start cranking tables

Not to say Cobb isn't great because we LOVE using Cobb AP over here.

-John (On Jim's computer)
I really like the cold start cranking table set up. Cobb needs to get on it ASAP.

·
Registered
425 Posts
from my understanding researching the two prior to my decision .....the cobb is prob the better unit to get if you are a serious tracker and have the knowledge to vary various parameters. it allows data logging and so forth. once you modify the car i dont think lc is as important since the car just takes off, especially w a stage 2 tune. i went w ecutek because for my needs; i wanted a slightly faster car. the lc4 was a bonus because the car actually drives better, i say this because i thought my car drove well but i realize now it really is smoother at speeds less than 10mph and especially turning in tight spaces like a parking lot. i dont track the car and i find no reason to change between different programs( i keep it on the tuned map) so ecutek fits my needs better. the rpm adjustability works as described but i have not launched the car yet since im afraid of damaging the drivetrain. i hope this helps w your decision.( you should talk to john @ theshopct and pick his brains, after talking to him you will realize which is better for you)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will not be tracking either. Just get it tuned and leave it. I have a few weeks till I decide
if you don't plan to ever mess with it, Ecutek is the way to go. My best pass with my simple tune today was 11.0 @ 128.8 mph with many low 11.x passes in the 129 mph range.
and if you ever need a bit more hp its just a toggle away with your thumb. Can't get any simpler than that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.