Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing my stock airboxes and installing a cold intake, I noticed that my engine sounded extremely loud. The closes thing that I can describe the noise is like some rolled down the windows under my hood. Is that normal or do I have another problem?

Ben

· Vendor
2,764 Posts
Ben do you mean the "suction" type noise when accelerating? That type of noise is normal. The stock airboxes muffle the induction type sounds normally, and aluminum intake pipes have the opposite affect, they amplify them.

· Warrant Officer
699 Posts
The difference in underhood sound when adding a CAI kit is night and day. I liken it to a jet engine, even when just cruising down the highway. It's wonderful.

Never hurts to go and re-check all the hose fitting connections, though.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tighten everything down and logged. AFR and short-term fuel trims look good. Ill go ride in another gtr with intakes and see if it's the suction. It might be the sound of the pipes hitting the inlets to front bumper along with the suction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
25 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
I have not installed my cold air intakes and I hope this is not the sound I have to look forward to listening too.

You are right it does sound like there is a window open under the hood. Your throttle position in the video was, for the most part, steady and it still seemed the engine was taking in uneven amounts of air.

What does it sound like under harder acceleration? Does the sound smoothen out? It would suggest taking a picture of your setup so that we may see and also filling any voids left by the old air boxes, if any.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Wait... Your running BOVs and worried about noise from your intakes?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.