Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Coming to GTR family from GT3/Vanquish...

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  desertwind 
#1 ·
Greetings!

My neighbor and I are both petrolheads.

We both have 997 GT3's and I have an Aston Vanquish. I am selling my GT3 as it has too stiff a clutch for me to drive comfortably (hate to admit it but it kills my left knee) and my Aston because of frustration with reliability (I've owned it for about 3 months of which I have actually had it at home for about 10 days, the remainder of the time shuttling between dealer workshops in Dubai and Abu Dhabi). My neighbor just wants to try something different and we both reached the same conclusion independently, yet at almost the same time. A third neighbor has a white GTR which has remained a temptation since new!

I enclose images of my 997 GT3 and Aston here:

Driving impressions

The 997 GT3 is brilliant, very still, very fast, yet very manual. Acceleration is brilliant, engine sound guttural for a 6 cylinder, handling is great, but after a short time, my left knee aches from the very stiff clutch. So, reluctantly I bid farewell to my GT3.

The Aston Vanquish is a dream to look at. Also very stiff, it accelerates with gusto, emanating a wonderful V12 noise. Beautiful materials adorn the interior making it very, very special. But recurring engine problems, along with niggly interior glitches have proven to be too much for me to take any longer. The car has gone back to the dealer who sold it to me and he will source a suitable GTR instead.

My neighbor wants a 2012, but has been frustrated with trying to buy one from the local dealer, so may be tempted to get a US Spec car and private import it to the UAE. I don't have the patience to go the US/Import route as I want my GTR yesterday but this may mean I will have to accept an '07-'09 (I haven't come across any '10/'11 cars here yet).

I previously ran a US Spec. 1991 Acura NSX auto that I reluctantly sold a while back. That car was beautifully balanced, but I should have tried to get a manual as I understand that is even more exciting to drive. Owning a NSX has given me my first real taste of Japanese exotica, a trouble free, wonderfully fulfilling experience. Maybe I will indulge in another (a manual this time though) in the future.

So, what color GTR would I like? I don't want a red car. My preference would be for a Black, Titanium/gun metal or White. I like the silver too, but have read elsewhere on the forum that it can be a headache to repaint, should that ever be needed. Please feel free to chip in with some recommendations.

See less See more
#5 ·
Love my 2012 in black! Go for it

#6 ·
For UAE, I'd personally recommend you NOT to buy black coloured cars even though I rarely follow my own advice. Plus the sun shines here the whole year, so you should get Titanium or DMG colours. Possibly Super Silver too!

Word of advice i would not recommend you to by a used 09 GTR god knows how many times it had been launched. Check out the MiddleEast subforum, lots of helpful members over there.

Good luck, and could you post more pics of the AM's interior =)

#8 ·
i've got a silver and had to have a quarter repainted...had it done at a nissan dealership and it matched up perfectly. i think ss is a great color and it definitely grows on you the longer you have it. it has a lot of different shades and hue's to it in various lighting conditions. you are not gonna go wrong with any color but if your concern about ss is matching paint, i wouldn't worry about that if i were you. anyway, i think u'll love the car. its a great piece of machinery!!

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
hey

Dont w/e you do get black, i personally own a black gtr in dubai with all construction/dust its just not worth it. 5 mins after cleaning car take 2 steps back soak it in while you can because 10 mins later its gonna be a dust magnet.

Get white one you cant go wrong with that or if you want a dark color get a 2012 blue one its awesome. just dont get black.

best color imo is gun metallic if your gonna buy used one and even then those are rare to find.

p.s try to get bone stock car i know this is near to impossible seeing that its a gtr and trust me once you own one you would wanna enhance it in some way, its just something you cant resist. reason am recommending bone stock car is tbh i view gtr scene as just getting to be good in Dubai(time frame i would say year), in terms of tuning etc. before that you had ppl fumbling about cars not installing them just properly winging it and am sure you don't wanna pick up car that's few km from breaking apart.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
exactly middle east prices are silly tbh and considering american market has soo many awesome deals its silly not to buy from he usa, here in middle east ppl "dealers/showrooms" will try to F you over. try to sell your own car and they rip you to shreds and try buying from them and its just too expensive and not worth it. BUYing CHEAP AND SELL DEAR thats the middle east market in a nut shell. they got no grasp of whats fair since they are greedy basterds.

if i was buying a gtr though and gonna make a point of not tuneing it and keeping it stock i would go for 2012 model just becuzz its got a warrenty and u could launch it as much as u want plus its just got so many perks over 2009/10/11 models. but if your the type that will enhance his car and will tune it up go for used one pref from usa since they got awesome awesome deals.

#15 ·
As static sculpture in which one could sit and enjoy, the Vanquish S is brill! Absolutely gorgeous to look at at be in.
But as a dynamic piece of automotive, it was great. when it worked. Most of the time it had the check engine light on and spent most of the time getting fixed at the dealer.

Now, if we could transplant the mechanical bits from the GTR into the gorgeous shape and interior of the Vanquish S, then WOW (Watch Out World)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.