Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Yep, this pissed me off when they introduced the 2007 G35.. Totally idiotic. I don't know what Nissan was thinking. Very limited stereo in that respect. Fortunately the 2008 models have an ipod adapter, so it is not an issue for me, assuming it works well(which I hear it does).

Oh and the "ripping" features doesn't use standard mp3 format I believe but a better one - Not sure which, but unlike MP3, WMA, MP3Pro and Ogg Vorbis are all pretty high quality at 128kbs..

·
GODZILLA
992 Posts
I have not used the ripping feature as it has been a long long time since I bought a commercially available CDDA uncompressed CD albums. Burn most of my own cds now.

As for the CF card, I just bought a 16gig Kingston 133X speed CF card last week and dump my whole collection in it. It was around 12gigs. The CF card that I have could hold a total of 14.6gig of space. It cost me around US$160 bucks for the card.

I can't recall how many songs I have in there now but its definately wayyyyy more then 512 songs. I would say around 2000 songs. I have no problem listening to them and its mostly in mp3 and wma format. Most are VBR too ranging from 128 to 312kpbs and 44 to 48khz. So this is for my JDM car. I dont know if there would be different for USDM car.

The CF card slot is PRICELESS for me. Have not inserted any CD/DVD into the the slot yet. And with a car like this, I definately have no time to sit in the car and watch DVD movies lol.

·
TexasNissans.com
331 Posts
I have a HUGE stack of CDs that have been sitting in a box. This sounds like a good reason to import some of that 80's and 90's alternative rock I have been saving all these years. LOL

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a friend who have a music collection of 1000gig. Whatever song you can think of from the early 1940 to 2008, she has them all.

I, on the other hand, have about 7 CDs. My favorite music comes from the sound of those two spinning turbo.

·
GODZILLA
992 Posts
Ok I rechecked my CF card. It has 1,564 files on it and 105 folders total.

So the 512 file count limitation is definately not true. Perhaps it is 512 folder count? It would make a lot more sense if it's folder count.

And its 10.6 gig in fact and not 12 gig as I previously mention. I still have around 4.4 gigs left.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
i cant believe youre complaining about 512 songs. i probably listen to a total of 50 songs and im pretty into music.
I've had an mp3 player in my dash since 2000 and back then it had a 20GB drive in it.. About 4000 songs. I listen to all of them. I know some who put in two 60GB drives into the unit and filled them up - yeah 120GB and over 20,000 songs. They listen to all of those too. Millions of people have music collections in the thousands!

Enjoy your 50 songs.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
Ok I rechecked my CF card. It has 1,564 files on it and 105 folders total.

So the 512 file count limitation is definately not true. Perhaps it is 512 folder count? It would make a lot more sense if it's folder count.

And its 10.6 gig in fact and not 12 gig as I previously mention. I still have around 4.4 gigs left.
possible, unless the limitation is usdm specific...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 32g CF card in my '09 Murano.
(The Adata one at Newegg....HERE $99.00 )
Has 27g's of music on it. Can only see the first 512........VERY FRUSTRATING.
I bought a 2g card and moved the important ones to it.....
These are pulled straght from my library with artist and then album folders. It's possible that is what is screwing me up.
Are your files arranged in folders and if so, how?
thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've had an mp3 player in my dash since 2000 and back then it had a 20GB drive in it.. About 4000 songs. I listen to all of them. I know some who put in two 60GB drives into the unit and filled them up - yeah 120GB and over 20,000 songs. They listen to all of those too. Millions of people have music collections in the thousands!

Enjoy your 50 songs.
Im truly impressed.

Enjoy your 20,000 songs.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes, 512 songs is a lot, but it's not necessarily about listening to 512 songs in one sitting. It's more about having all the ones you like available so you can DJ your own play lists at any given time for whatever mood you are in or what ambiance you are trying to create for your driving pleasure. That's one reason why MP3s are so popular, you don't need to lug around so many CDs. Sure you can get better sound quality from an original CD, but most people cannot hear the difference in quality, especially outside an ideal listening environment such as a home theater. Typically, your passengers will appreciate a good repertoire where you may both find common interests than have to listen to another person's tastes in music, although that can be used as an excuse to rid yourself of any passengers if you don't want any. Imagine the horror when your passenger finds out all 50 songs are [insert hated music here]; if your passenger is made to sit there for an hour or so having to listen to that, your passenger will feel like a trapped animal.

·
GODZILLA
992 Posts
My songs are all very neatly arrange. Its all albumised (Is there even such a word?)

I download from legal websites only so its always in single artiste albums. 105 folders meaning to say 105 albums.

A single folder shouldn't hold more then 20 songs on average. You can see mine holds around 16 to 18 songs per folder.

Perhaps its 512 songs limitation per folder?

·
GODZILLA
992 Posts
Sorry NickTO I dont understand what you mean. My car is JDM. And yes there is a long button call Carwings but I dont know what the hell it is or if its even related. It seems to be somekind of navigation button to me?

My manual is in Japanese language and I have not even bothered opening it until now, still wrapped in its original bubble plastic wrap.

I just went to check again and spent 30minutes scrolling through almost all 1500 songs. I'll take a photo and show u later of the thing. There's is 30+ pages of single albums of the GTR MFD. Each page is around 6 albums i think.

I'll take a photo to show u later. Can any other JDM owners confirm what I have?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
The carwings system is an add-on to the GPS system (kinda telematics) and nothing to do with the songs.

First - please confirm that you can see the files on your CF card. I bought a 16GB card but gave it away coz I got to know abt this limitation!!!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts