Nissan GT-R Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
No need to relock.

As soon as you put an unlocked drive into the head unit and it boots and runs fine.

On my test drive (which has been booted in the car), it did not relock the HD ... so I suspect the drive in my AV (the original drive) is still unlocked.

I resized my music partition and stuck it back in .. it recognized the availble space.

The MusicBox screen that shows free space show more than doubled (in my case) from the previous depending on which drive was in there.

I do not think the password is vehicle specific. it will not be car specific.

K-D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes can add more space. I tested with a 40GB drive, with the additonal 10GB (original drive is 30) being assigned to the Music Storage partiton.

Secondly (and maybe more importantly) this may enable peeps with JDM cars to get their menus in English (or French).

K-D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Oh well, that's too bad. Looks like I'm still going to have to rely on my Ipod.

I really haven't loaded anything on my music box. Maybe 3 or 4 albums but, it would've been cool to load your whole music library on the harddrive.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Wow! Sorry I missed this mate. As I said, work's been a killer!!! Wow! Seriously - bigtime kudos for the time you have invested in this.

I agree that the English and French language stuff is there on the first partition, but not 100% sure if that's the menu component! Dont know how to check though. BTW - what's the RAR file in the root of F5U?

And the new HDD in the car works!!!

WOW. This is awesome news. I wonder what's the best/easiest way to go about replacing the menus here with the american ones? Would it be to replace the entire HDD or just to do the same thing here on a JDM HDD and just insert the english file where the Japanese one would be - this is all assuming that the directory structure etc. is the same!

Cheers K-D!!!
You seriously rock man!

What do you think the next step should be - just use the english files and your technology on a JDM HDD or replace the whole HDD? I am tempted to go the second route to see what happens... I am sure this is not going to cause an ECU lock or somesuch issue so that the car is disabled... It will just cause the menu system to fail.

But - another thought. Does the CAN system run through the HDD or is that a totally different system altogether? I guess that's the reason you are asking for the JDM service manual. Let me riffle through stuff here and see if I can get hold of that!

·
Registered
283 Posts
First the RAR and Dir*.txt files in the root are all me

I wanted to see how big Part0 was when compressed.

As you said, failure is limited to the A/V subsystem.

I booted mine w/o HDD and it just kinda hung. Hooked the drive back up and all was well again.

seeing this: View attachment Pages_from_2009_Nissan_GTR_Navi.pdf

Makes me wonder if the Part0 structure is queried @ startup and the availible languages determined.

TC: How comfortable are you (or getting somebody) to get you HDD out , unlock it, and get an image and a DIR for us to look @ before going further?

I can craft you some directions to assist in that if you are game.

NickTO: did you explore my directions to you? Were they concise enough?

I am thinking if you can get to your existing drive and you have sufficient space in Part0, to just move the US English folders in there with your existing and see if you can follow the process in the attachment to select English.

I don't think the last 3 partitions buy you anything. (The US maps don't help you anymore than the maps of Japan.)

My Music prolly would not play because the LIC files were made by MY A/V ..

I do not think the HDD has any involvement in the CAN. I am looking for those drawings so I can retrofit a Nissan CCU w/Backup camera to my car... I want the novelty of the "projected path" lines that the factory unit has.

Check my thoughts and let me know what you think!

BTW: You are gonna have to make me an honorary member of the GTR Owner's Club, Singapore for this

K-D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
First the RAR and Dir*.txt files in the root are all me

I wanted to see how big Part0 was when compressed.

As you said, failure is limited to the A/V subsystem.

I booted mine w/o HDD and it just kinda hung. Hooked the drive back up and all was well again.

seeing this: View attachment 19733

Makes me wonder if the Part0 structure is queried @ startup and the availible languages determined.

TC: How comfortable are you (or getting somebody) to get you HDD out , unlock it, and get an image and a DIR for us to look @ before going further?

I can craft you some directions to assist in that if you are game.

NickTO: did you explore my directions to you? Were they concise enough?

I am thinking if you can get to your existing drive and you have sufficient space in Part0, to just move the US English folders in there with your existing and see if you can follow the process in the attachment to select English.

I don't think the last 3 partitions buy you anything. (The US maps don't help you anymore than the maps of Japan.)

My Music prolly would not play because the LIC files were made by MY A/V ..

I do not think the HDD has any involvement in the CAN. I am looking for those drawings so I can retrofit a Nissan CCU w/Backup camera to my car... I want the novelty of the "projected path" lines that the factory unit has.

Check my thoughts and let me know what you think!

BTW: You are gonna have to make me an honorary member of the GTR Owner's Club, Singapore for this

K-D
Once again, apologies for being on the slow path.

For all this effort, you can be the president of the club! :p

Ok - firstly, the Nissan factory fit reversing cam doesnt have any projected path lines. At least mine - which is factory fit - doesnt.

Regarding pulling my HDD out - I am game to try, but will need to find a technician who wants to do it as I am extremely clumsy with things. Dont want to end up breaking all the clips on the dashboard!

But - willing
Give me the instructions, and will give it a go. How long does it take and do I need any special tools/mounts for the HDD so I can read it off using my laptop?

Eagerly waiting for nick to upgrade his disk and see if the system will take a larger disk.

K-D: Another Q. So if you leave the car with out the HDD, nothing happens essentialy i.e. the car moves as otherwise, just that the AV system will NOT work?

Waiting for instructions. Sending you a pm with my email.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Good stuff. I wonder if the maps in the Nav partition can be updated with those from another Nissan model sold in that specific region, say a Nissan 350Z in Singapore? Timechaser may yet have a functioning nav on his GT-R for use in Singapore.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Nissan doesnt (unfortunately) sell any models with factory fit Nav systems in Singapore. However, will cross that bridge once I come to it. Right now, gettting the menus in english is a bigger priority!

Waiting for K-D's instructions before kicking off.

·
GODZILLA
992 Posts
Wow how did I miss this thread. Though it was dead a month ago.

Hmm I'm as well willing to test this thing out. Pm me specific intructions and I'll get ride on it. This car is meant to be meddled with anyway ;)

*waves* Puneet.

·
2010 Black Premium
112 Posts
Reviving an old thread - hoping to make some progress on messing with the nav software, storing MP3 music, etc.

Question: can someone share with me the HD unlock password? I suspect that the password is universal - that is, not unique to the car.

I am a software engineer, so I do have some hope of being able to come up with some neat hacks. Obviously I would share whatever I learn with the site.

Thanks!
mcomer

61 - 80 of 117 Posts