Nissan GT-R Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
2010 Black Premium
112 Posts
Sorry to be a pest, but anyone? I believe it may be possible to make some improvements to the system's software based on what I've seen in this thread - I see a number of interesting things in the software partition directory listings posted earlier in this thread. I can decompile the .bin image of the system's software and do some exploring, but don't have access to a logic analyzer to sort out the HD password...

Matt

Reviving an old thread - hoping to make some progress on messing with the nav software, storing MP3 music, etc.

Question: can someone share with me the HD unlock password? I suspect that the password is universal - that is, not unique to the car.

I am a software engineer, so I do have some hope of being able to come up with some neat hacks. Obviously I would share whatever I learn with the site.

Thanks!
mcomer

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
My CF called it quits last month........tried two differnt CF's that work in my pc no prob..........weird thing is that every time i try a cf it resets all my settings that were saved for the guages.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well not sure if anyone is still working on this.So I have axcess to both a JDM spec unit and an Australian unit.I have taken the HD out of the JDM unit,and will attempt the ghosting on the weekend.Then I will see if it works and then try the Australian one after that.

Cheers Delphi3

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Delphi - please do keep us (at least me) posted on this.

Keen to monitor your progress.

I would say try swapping the ADM HDD for the JDM one - forget ghosting and see if the MFD boots up. We can take it from there.

·
Registered
344 Posts
quick question, since you guys got the password and all was wondering if all the menus are image files? would love to play around and change the startup screen and all the menu configs.. did this to my bmw before.. i wold love if i could do the same thing with this.. i made my arrow into my car last time and took many different angles so it would turn properly on the navi.. it looked pretty cool as its your own car.. would love to do this to the gtr..

ill try this out tonight but i need to know if the car will run without the hdd.. EDIT: read nickto's post yes it will

Few Q:

1. so i need to connect the gtr hdd to my linux machine right? windows or mac doesn't recognize the drive?
2. is the password on here somewhere or do i have to buy that logic analyzer.
4. did timechaser get his hdd to english? if not have you ever tried shoving a stock us gtr hdd in and see if that works?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone know how to get around the setting that limits the rip to 132kbps bitrates? I would rather have 300 songs that sound great than 3,000 that sound mediocre. Let's face it, the audio system is not that great in this car and the poorer the source the poorer the sound...

To date I have been keeping a limited number of my favorite CD's in the car, so I can listen to better quality music..

While reading through the MFD manual I was really interested in the CD Ripping capability but also in the CF based music player.

A couple things stood out for me:

1. A CF adapter can be used. So a cheaper SD Media card (or even USB stick) with a CF adapter should work in the system
"If a commercially available CompactFlash adapter is inserted into the slot, your memory media can also be used"

2. The MP3 playback will not give accurate time information with VBR files.

but most importantly:

3. Folder levels: 8 Folders recursion levels (deep), no more than 255 folders total, and no more than 512 files (255 files max in 1 folder).

That last bit is surprising. The reader supports FAT32 filesystems, so in theory, you would be able to put a 16GB card and keep all your music collection in there, but if this is true, the file limit of 512 is quite small. There's a note that "without nav system", the file count limit is 999. I don't think there's a GT-R without NAV system though.

4. The music box (9.3GB) feature supports upwards of 2,900 songs ( i suppose there's no file count limit, just storage )

5. The CD Ripping feature of the Music Box uses MP3 encoding that only allows a user selectable 105kbps or 132kbps bitrates, which is rather low (quality) for CBR files.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wondering if this ever went anywhere? If there is access to the drive, and the menus are simply listed as text (pipe dream I'm sure) then all it'll take is an edit of the file to convert it to any other language

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
50 songs? that's roughly 10 albums. Sorry, but I'm not that much into music and 50 songs isn't much by my standard.

All of my other cars either have a HD based or CD-R based mp3 player with no limitation on actual # of files. My HD car system has a 40GB disk.
My computer music collection is currently 48GB.

Holding most of what I'd like to listen to in the car it in a single location has big advantages.
but i would say that i can't really think of more than 5-10 songs that i really really really love at any given time.

for reference, I have about 200GB of music (not counting things i haven't yet updated into the library) and about 300GB of samples for music production.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here is the process.

Get MHDD Magic Disk (I got the CD version)
http://hddguru.com/c...agic-Boot-Disk/

Get a laptop IDE to Desktop adapter like this http://www.cablestog...CFQJNagodBUzFDg

Connect the laptop HD in place of your usual desktop drive and boot from Magic MHDD CD.

Use the MHDD DISPWD command to turn protection off

Password type = User (O)
Password = "046-259-1300" + 20 spaces. The password has to be 32 bytes (characters) in length .. thus the spaces.

After unlocking. I then shut down and ghosted the drive to an image file.

I then restored the image to a 40 GB drive keeping all partitions original size except for part2 (3[sup]rd[/sup]) which I increased to use all the extra space.

Done.

Here's why I don't think the password is vehicle specific:

If you goggle the password you will find it is Xanavi's Phone Number in Japan
http://www.yellowpag...k.php?lid=14216

You will need a T20 Torx to get the side brackets off of the AV unit.

AV Unit disassembly (all references assume that the AV unit is facing you with the CD slot on the front and the CF slot bottom right (just like you were looking @ it in the car).

Wash hands to get rid of finger oil for next step.

Remove the "copper" tape from the front and set aside for later use (this appears to be a grounding strap)

Remove mounting brackets

Remove the 6 screws from the Black lid (2 rear + 4 on top)

Remove Black lid (start @ rear R corner)

Remove 2 screws along right hand top that hold CD component in place

There is a 3[sup]rd[/sup] screw that holds the CD piece in place. I on the inside (goes top to bottom) and is located on the inside immediately under the back of the 2 screws on the right hand side you just removed.

Remove the CD unit now (the is a "latch" on the front that was under grounding tape it lifts straight out and there is a small ribbon cable on underside that needs removing

Unplug the fan.

Bend the rubber duct to the side and remove the two screws under the rubber (there are the only two long ones with washers that you will remove).

Remove the 2 screws that go into rear to secure the heat sink piece that you just removed two screws from.

Remove the heat sink piece

You now have 4 screws left to remove and they are all along the left side of the HD tray (you removed the right side in previous step), they all go top to bottom.

Once those 4 are removed, lift HD caddy straight up and out.

Done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I created an account just to personally thank you Krowten-Dog.

I have been waiting with baited breath for someone online to do this.
I have already accessed my AVC a couple of times and recently installed the switch for the bypass hack.

I also ordered the IDE adapter and was researching how to crack the HDD to update my nav files.

Have you looked at the nav file structure?
After I unlock the drive, can I do a simple swap of the nav files?
(I have the same set that is circulating for those who have made DVDs and are able to update via their DVD drives)
Damn HDD system, lol, we have to jump through hoops to do it ourselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the process.

Get MHDD Magic Disk (I got the CD version)
http://hddguru.com/c...agic-Boot-Disk/

Get a laptop IDE to Desktop adapter like this http://www.cablestog...CFQJNagodBUzFDg

Connect the laptop HD in place of your usual desktop drive and boot from Magic MHDD CD.

Use the MHDD DISPWD command to turn protection off

Password type = User (O)
Password = "046-259-1300" + 20 spaces. The password has to be 32 bytes (characters) in length .. thus the spaces.

After unlocking. I then shut down and ghosted the drive to an image file.

I then restored the image to a 40 GB drive keeping all partitions original size except for part2 (3[sup]rd[/sup]) which I increased to use all the extra space.

Done.

Here's why I don't think the password is vehicle specific:

If you goggle the password you will find it is Xanavi's Phone Number in Japan
http://www.yellowpag...k.php?lid=14216

You will need a T20 Torx to get the side brackets off of the AV unit.

AV Unit disassembly (all references assume that the AV unit is facing you with the CD slot on the front and the CF slot bottom right (just like you were looking @ it in the car).

Wash hands to get rid of finger oil for next step.

Remove the "copper" tape from the front and set aside for later use (this appears to be a grounding strap)

Remove mounting brackets

Remove the 6 screws from the Black lid (2 rear + 4 on top)

Remove Black lid (start @ rear R corner)

Remove 2 screws along right hand top that hold CD component in place

There is a 3[sup]rd[/sup] screw that holds the CD piece in place. I on the inside (goes top to bottom) and is located on the inside immediately under the back of the 2 screws on the right hand side you just removed.

Remove the CD unit now (the is a "latch" on the front that was under grounding tape it lifts straight out and there is a small ribbon cable on underside that needs removing

Unplug the fan.

Bend the rubber duct to the side and remove the two screws under the rubber (there are the only two long ones with washers that you will remove).

Remove the 2 screws that go into rear to secure the heat sink piece that you just removed two screws from.

Remove the heat sink piece

You now have 4 screws left to remove and they are all along the left side of the HD tray (you removed the right side in previous step), they all go top to bottom.

Once those 4 are removed, lift HD caddy straight up and out.

Done.
Do you know if the same password applies to the Infiniti G35 V36 model? The navigation system is made by xnavi as well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a macbook pro and can't seem to get my music off of my computer and onto a compact flash. I've tried 2 different brands and 2 different adaptors and still no luck. Anybody else have this issue or know how to fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Firstly, I'm new to the forum after retruning to the Skyline family - I had an R33 10 years back, and have now imported a V36 370GT (with Nav system) from Japan to Aust (after dabbling with a S2000 and Evo VI TME). The V36 is a beautiful car.............but I'D LOVE TO HAVE ENGLISH MENU's.

Amazing work above guys - very clever IT wizardry!! I see the thread managed to remove the HDD, unlock it via Magic MHDD, copy the ghosted image onto a larger HDD. Did anybody manage to extract english menu's from say a USDM image and add it to a JDM image, or simply use the USDM image in a JDM vehicle/unit??

I'm very keen to adopt the above smarts on my V36 Skyline to 'swap out' the Japanese language for English. Please help. Was there an English menu image made available anywhere? Do we V36 guys need a V36 image, or does the GTR run the same software/image?

And lastly, did anybody manage to add Nav files that enable the nav to work in Australia?

Appreciate any and all help - hopefully this has been resolved by now.

Cheers.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts