Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced strange shifting when decelerating in Auto mode with trans in R.

I am tuned on Ecutek, which blips the throttle (some call it super R mode). What I'm experiencing is the trans shifting down 4, 3, 2, then back to 3 for a second, and then 2, 1. This is as I'm pressing the brake slowing down. I can't figure out why it chooses to shift back to 3rd as the speed decreases.

Anyone have experience with this? I'll most likely be talking to my tuner, but would like to see if I'm the only one.

Thnx

·
GuiTaR
449 Posts
Even the OEM tcm tune blips the throttle on down shifts so can you elaborate on what you mean there?

If there aren't any dtc's popping up, your issue is definitely going to be some sort of phenomenon that only a tune will fix. I've never heard of this before

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

·
Nismo Owners Car Club
2,313 Posts
The "R" mode makes the trans choose whatever gear it feels the car would benefit the most at.

It can skip gears based on throttle/brake conditions. The "R" mode is relatively tough on the trans as it was stated on Jacks Transmission.

It was meant for performance conditions and although good, i'd like to be in the gear that I wish. So i'll leave the 2ne and 3rd toggle switches on "R"

and the first i'll leave normal so I can manually shift.

The only time I'll leave on "R" is if I'm drag racing, The computer can possibly shift faster than I, so I dont even doubt or argue with it.

·
GuiTaR
449 Posts
OP, what year model is your car? Maybe it's a phenomenon with the 2020 due to upgraded ecu that ecutek only just started to tap into. Your ecutek tuner should reach out to ecutek as this might be a bug that will need to be ironed out

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
The weird shifting is nothing new and not just an Ecutek specific thing. The OTS TCM maps for Cobb did the same on my 2015. After a few occurrences, it was back to manual mode.

·
GuiTaR
449 Posts
The weird shifting is nothing new and not just an Ecutek specific thing. The OTS TCM maps for Cobb did the same on my 2015. After a few occurrences, it was back to manual mode.
Really? That's shit. Their tuners need to figure this out and get it sorted. It sucks if the only solution is to omit auto mode and just use manual...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses and I'm sorry for the delay following up. I have a 2017 btw. Only started noticing it after the Ecutek tune. Didn't do it when it was stock and didn't do it when I had Cobb tune for approx. 1,000 miles. I just received my transmission back from Shep a week or so ago. Did some clutch upgrades and repaired a gear that was damaged. That rules out anything mechanical.

Mick: I meant to say The Auto R trans mode on Ecutek is much more aggressive than OEM when downshifting. I was considering the possibility that the software may have something to do with it because it's so aggressive. I've contacted my tuner but have yet to hear back.

Geno: I've resorted to this for the last few drives. The shifts seem fine when in standard trans mode. I'm curious though, is the R mode more rough on the trans? I've actually heard otherwise and it's actually better to leave it in R most of the time.

DNZ: Interesting. Do you mean he is adding a new file to fix the error?

L.L.: Glad to hear yours went back to normal. I had the tune done in early March and it's been the same since.

Somewhat off topic, the other thing I notice with the Auto R mode is when I step on the gas (around 80%) the RPMs don't go above like 3500-4k. Its super quick to get to 5th and doesn't bother with anything above 4k rpm until 5th. Real jerky and quick through the gears at relatively low rpm. Perhaps a discussion for another day.

·
GuiTaR
449 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses and I'm sorry for the delay following up. I have a 2017 btw. Only started noticing it after the Ecutek tune. Didn't do it when it was stock and didn't do it when I had Cobb tune for approx. 1,000 miles. I just received my transmission back from Shep a week or so ago. Did some clutch upgrades and repaired a gear that was damaged. That rules out anything mechanical.

Mick: I meant to say The Auto R trans mode on Ecutek is much more aggressive than OEM when downshifting. I was considering the possibility that the software may have something to do with it because it's so aggressive. I've contacted my tuner but have yet to hear back.

Geno: I've resorted to this for the last few drives. The shifts seem fine when in standard trans mode. I'm curious though, is the R mode more rough on the trans? I've actually heard otherwise and it's actually better to leave it in R most of the time.

DNZ: Interesting. Do you mean he is adding a new file to fix the error?

L.L.: Glad to hear yours went back to normal. I had the tune done in early March and it's been the same since.

Somewhat off topic, the other thing I notice with the Auto R mode is when I step on the gas (around 80%) the RPMs don't go above like 3500-4k. Its super quick to get to 5th and doesn't bother with anything above 4k rpm until 5th. Real jerky and quick through the gears at relatively low rpm. Perhaps a discussion for another day.
Are you sure it's at 80% throttle? How does it behave at 100% throttle? Does it go right the way to redline?

I've noticed mine changes quite early if I'm around half throttle. So I'm just wondering if you're not quite at 80%. What does ECUTEK say TPS is?

This may be normal. But if you're speaking with your tuner, they may be able to provide some answers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mick, I will log this and see the actual throttle number. But you may be right. Unfortunately, still no response from my tuner.

I've been driving it exclusively in regular trans mode in manual. It's fine that way. Sucks in situations where I just want to cruise and not be on the paddles constantly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
J, pretty sweet mode they have. Super intense. I did see the shift from 3 into 4th quickly like mine does. So I now know it's because I wasn't at full throttle.

I'm still interested about the Ecutek R mode being confused when coming to a stop. Not that it makes the car less enjoyable. Just curious if they'll have a fix at some point, considering theres multiple people experiencing it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My ECUTEK tune will down shift when it hits 2k rpm and over rides me trying to shift up. It also shifts up when hitting 3k rpm so i dont end up in 6th at 42mph!

·
Nismo Owners Car Club
2,313 Posts
My ECUTEK tune will down shift when it hits 2k rpm and over rides me trying to shift up. It also shifts up when hitting 3k rpm so i dont end up in 6th at 42mph!
there are time when I'm with client calls that I dont mind when the car shifts early. quiets the exhaust down.

when I want the correct shifts, I'll just manually shift..........I feel this technique was meant for it anyways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.