Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R35 member
226 Posts
Hi. This seems a weird problem, but here goes....

It's -30C (-22F) outside recently. This is my third winter with my 2011 GTR, with no issues previously. Last week, I noticed that the in-car heat didn't work one day, for about 30 minutes, then started to work, and was fine for the few days before I took it in to the dealership. They checked everything, flushed the coolant, etc, and said it was all fine. That was yesterday.

Today, I drove to a location about 2 hours outside of the city, doing about 125kph all the way. No issues on the way there. coolant/engine/tranny temps all about 75C (165ishF). On the way back, however, all temps shot up bigtime. 112C coolant (230F, into the red), 99C tranny (210F), and 92C Oil (195F). In-car heat was fine. If I stopped the car, or slowed so that RPM was below 2K, the temps would slowly drift down. Then, suddenly, when I got back into the city, as I was looking at the guages, all the temps just plummeted to normal levels within 3 minutes.

Is this actually a temp issue, or are my sensors/thermometers F**ked? I'll take it in again Monday, but so frustrating that they just checked all the cooling/heat system and said it was fine. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Possible that you had a bunch of snow packed in the front of the car? If you are just cruising and not under boost in temps that cold it probably wouldn't melt the snow/ice and it would block airflow through the radiator?

·
R35 member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No snow. I suspect it's something to do with the thermostat or sensors. Strange that it all kinda normalized within a couple of minutes. I don't think the true temp could actually drop that fast.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would bet on thermostat sticking.

·
R35 member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coolant levels normal. No ice.

No issues since that incident (been too busy to take the car in). I think the thermostat must have frozen/stuck temporarily. I was doing 130kph in -30C for a good 30 minutes when this happened.

Re Heat, I set it to 20C and leave it on "auto" all the time. Heats up pretty nicely (except that one day, as I mentioned above). I think I'll take a head in the sand approach and hope it's a one off thing. If it happens again, I'll have it looked at.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
No heat followed by skyrocketing coolant temp followed by a rapid drop is usually air in the cooling system. Looks like the dealer may have not correctly/completely "burped" the system, or have damaged a hose doing the "flush" so that you now have an air leak (ass hats at one of the "quick lube" places did that to my neighbours car)

The "at home" procedure would be to make sure there is sufficient coolant in the system (overflow tank), then when cold take the rad cap off, run the car until up to operating temperature (with the heat cranked all the way up in the car), check for air bubbles through the rad cap, then when you haven't seen any for 3-5 minutes put the rad cap back on. Not uncommon to have garages get in a rush doing a flush and just slap the cap back on without waiting for all the air to get out...

·
R35 member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Craig. I'll try that if it happens again. I did take the rad cap off while running the car to check the levels, so maybe I inadvertently fixed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.