Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
in my experience with coatings, waxes dont bond that well and tend to wash off within a few washes

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Yep I know all about vic wax - I have over 30 waxes

I wouldnt use bare hands though, just use a foam pad

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep I know all about vic wax - I have over 30 waxes

I wouldnt use bare hands though, just use a foam pad
Can't seem to get a good spread of the stuff with pads, so I always end up over applying. Bare hands seem to work better for me, it's what the directions recommend anyway.

As long as the hands are clean beforehand, not too worried about micro-scratches from the layer of CQuartz on the car.

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Your not B.Sing about putting it on with your bare hands,it even say's it on the website!
LOL, yep... says it on the label on the back of the bottle too. And, the stuff smells like strawberry lip balm. Only bad part is you'll have to explain to the neighbors why you're in your garage "massaging your car."

My detailer (Vivë from Houston) recommended the stuff. Wasn't too keen as I've tried Zaino and a bunch of other stuff before based on recommendations but never got the level of "pop" I was hoping for. I'm very pleased with the results this time around, think I'll stick with this Concours Red moving forward.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
lol hand application is a wank - even the mega priced zymol and swissvax waxes i have say the same on the instructions

it's one of the softest wax's i have, it will spread like butter on a foam pad and spread very far

but each to their own

did you correct the paint before hand?

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe that's why, I keep it in the fridge to keep it a bit stiff, makes it really easy to smooth out once it warms up with the hands. But yeah, I've been getting good results with hands, so I'll stick to that.

And yes, Vivë did 2 pass paint correction before the CQuartz... 2 passes was all that was needed on my car.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
yeh for sure, i only 2 step my solid black - can get away with 1 step with something like 203S on a grey car

these coatings are the way to go. the scratch resistance is quite good, it'll stop around 50% of the normal wash induced marring. i drove through wet road paint and had it all along one side of the car. Just pre-soaked with p21s taw and high pressured most of it off. the rest i clayed and that didnt leave any marring at all, which blew me away given how soft the nissan clear is

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, you must take care of your black... every single black GT-R Vivë's had to do here required a 3 step, hah.

Yeah, discovered a nasty bird dropping on the car even before the full week of cure of CQuartz was complete. Was originally concerned, but after wiping it off, saw no etching like there would have been if it was just bare clear coat. Very pleased so far with CQuartz... these nano sealants seem to the future of detailing, with some of them lasting up to 6 years.

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2 pass paint correction and CQuartz was done a while back, I'll have to ask my detailer how long that took.

I do the wax myself, and this stuff is pretty easy to put on... apply in one section, wait only a few minutes (not supposed to dry completely per the instructions), and buff off to a shine. I've been doing a few coats after every wash, so at most it takes an hour or two tops.

·
[ MotorMotives ]
541 Posts
This is stunning!

Anson is scheduled to do new car prep on my '13

he is a great detailer and a great guy to deal with too

-AJ

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is stunning!

Anson is scheduled to do new car prep on my '13

he is a great detailer and a great guy to deal with too

-AJ
Yep, Anson will do a good paint correction, and he's got some new 6 year sealant that he's bringing back from Asia. A couple layers of this wax on top and your car will look candy clear like mine does right now.

·
[ MotorMotives ]
541 Posts
are you talking about opti-guard?

I have never kept a car spotless, so this will be a challenge for me

-AJ

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure what it's called, just spoke to Anson briefly as he's still in Asia doing detailing research... and it's something he's going to be bringing back. Supposed to be even better than CQuartz.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
there is the korean aquartz which is also available and a comparable product - but cquartz is a more durable and easier to apply formula

basically the owner/founder of the product line aquartz got back doored by the korean manufacturer who seized his stock ready for shipment, and decided to start selling it themselves. so he went to a chemist in japan and came up with a newer version called cquartz

there are quite a few products out there that market similar durability, but most we refer to as super sealants, such as gtechniq, wolfs body wrap, nanolex, etc - they dont have the same scratch resistance properties as coatings like optimum opti-guard/opti-coat and a/cquartz

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.