Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this happen? 11,000 miles on my 2010, I've had 3 total track days, about 5 auto-x days and in addition to my pads being cracked (and the dealer saying they have to do all pads and rotors--yea, yea ,I know BS), I apparently cracked both front calipers. At $1,052 a pop, that was another $2,100 on top of my brake job.

Two of my track days were at 100+ degrees in summer Oklahoma heat--could this have contributed?

Could a cracked pad have led to cracked calipers?

I'd like to avoid having to do this again. Have already upgraded the brakes to J-hooks with ME20 pads and replaced the calipers, but would like to avoid doing that again.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
any pix of the cracked calipers?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've never heard of a cracked GT-R caliper. Brown and black and burned yes, but never cracked.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately I didn't get pics. Trusted the GTR tech that it was the case and they ordered new ones and replaced them.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've never heard of it on any car to be honest with you. Sure, you'll crack the oem rotors in no time flat in 100+ degree temps..... but not a caliper, and certainly NOT both front calipers. I would def love to see pictures if the OP can post them up.

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
I've never heard of a cracked GT-R caliper. Brown and black and burned yes, but never cracked.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I have also never seen or heard of the calipers cracking on the GT-R (or any car). To the OP; Can you take some detailed pics and post up? Sorry to hear of your problem. If you do need calipers I will check with Eric and see what cost is. Only problem I ever heard of in relation to the calipers is the bleeder screws leaking a bit.

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
You replied as I was typing. You may want to check with the dealership and see if they still have the old calipers. If they do ask them to hold onto them until your next service visit so you can pick them up. I am very interested in seeing the calipers.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
unfortunately I didn't get pics. Trusted the GTR tech that it was the case and they ordered new ones and replaced them.
You ALWAYS ask to see the broken parts....... especially at a dealership. GT-R tech or not.....a majority of dealerships are just trying to scam you. And in my personal opinion......you got scammed!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Wouldn't the actual caliper be covered under warranty ? Obviously NOT pads and or Rotors.....but calipers shouldn't be a wearable part.

18,290 Posts
Cracking the actual caliper seems unlikely, and cracking both seems, obviously, HIGHLY unlikely. Is it possible that the tech or service adviser misspoke and meant cracked rotors, or did you actually see "cracked caliper" in writing?

·
Registered
695 Posts
since you paid for new ones, why wouldn't you ask for the old ones,

I also agree, that if the caliper did crack, it should be covered under warranty, and i have never seen one crack on any car

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Any time anything breaks on my car I want to see it, especially if it is something even a layman can identify...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Get the old parts returned to you now. IF you had actually cracked the calipers; (doubtful), this would have been covered under warranty since I'm damned sure Nissan would want the calipers to study them as they would have had to have been defective.
Bish

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone--will see if I can get the calipers back. Problem was i was out of the country for a week and the tech called and said the left one was cracked (he was doing new rotors and pads already), and then called back later and said the right front was cracked as well. By the time I got the car back 2 weeks later I unfortunately didn't ask for them. I paid for 2 new front calipers--at least was able to talk them down from $1300 a piece to $1050 a piece, although still feel I may have gotten screwed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i've never heard of a caliper cracking, let alone two around the same time. sounds like BS. Could you please ask the tech where on each caliper they cracked exactly? i've put my calipers through hell and back and they never cracked. But IF they can/do crack i am sure a lot of people would really like to know how.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts