Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all.

In the process of looking for an exhaust leak in our Switzer P800 build we replaced very badly cracked SPI/Switzer downpipes. This led us to find a nasty crack in the driver side exhaust manifold. Smoke test also shows leakage in the wastegate actuator seal on the passenger side. So, as the turbo housing and exhaust manifold are literally cast together, it seems I'm in the market for a new turbo kit. As it is a track only car spool time and reliability are the main concerns. The obvious option seems to be AMS OMEGA 9. Looking for some suggestions into this topic. The engine is not built but we have full fuel system upgrades along with Shep stage 1 transmission. It seems reasonable to plan for a detune as 900+ WHP is simply too much. Are there any other kits that I should be reasonably looking at? Also, any ideas on the process that led to this pretty big failure?

Alternative option is to possibly buy an oem turbofold and swap the SPI core? I'm not sure how feasible this is.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You have to pull the motor so if your happy with P-800......just fix... lots of other options for turbos but if your stock on the bottom end etc.. the tune is important and new turbos will require a new tune.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That can be welded. The crack propogates from the machined boss for the heat shield at the top of that elbow. They machine it with a square mill (no radius) and that leaves a stress riser right at the top of the elbow where all the weight of the turbo is pulling on the manifold. I've had turbofolds from a top vendor in my shop and they have been welded in that exact spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.