Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
So how severe is this damage? Would I be able to have them repaired vs replaced? No track use yet, just some fun on windy roads n such.

Was quoted by Esserman Nissan in Miami for about $9,451 (tax/labor/parts) to replace pads, rotors, and flush the system?

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I'd never go to the dealer for OEM parts.

Front rotors = $1170 (or cheaper)
Brake pads = $500 (or cheaper)
Brake fluid = $200 (or cheaper)

Labor at a local garage (if your wife can't do it) = 2 hrs, tops = $200 (or cheaper)

*edit: Do you have pics? If the cracks are small, you may have another 2000-3000 miles left on your rotors.

·
Founder/Admin
26,277 Posts
Was quoted by Esserman Nissan in Miami for about $9,451 (tax/labor/parts) to replace pads, rotors, and flush the system?

yeah a set of Stillen AP rotors and some aftermarket pads is all you need...

a little cracking is somewhat common normal.. but when they extend out and almost connect to another whole thats when its a big issue

·
Founder/Admin
26,277 Posts
that doesnt look that unusual to me... you dont need new brakes for just that...

here is what nissan says about them

When the brake is repeatedly applied at high
loads during the cold season, small cracks of
approximately 0.12 in (3 mm) long may appear
around the cross drilled holes .This is due to
the temperature differential that occurs because
the surfaces of the disc rotors become hot while
the inside of the rotor is still cold. However, this
poses no problem in terms of brake performance, and does not indicate a malfunction. The
brakes do not need to be replaced.
However, if the cracks extend to 0.16 in (4 mm)
or longer after repeated application of the
brakes at high loads during high performance

driving, or through the continued use of the
brakes, the disc rotors must be replaced

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
The cracking rotors are fairly normal, unfortunately. This is one of those issues that I have been talking about since before this car was released to the US market. The GT-R is a big heavy car, and even with a huge brake rotor, it is a OEM product made for the more mass market than the higher performance end of the market.

The proven track and hard street race use rotor for the GT-R is the STILLEN/AP racing curved vane rotor. We sell them as a set for $1144.60 each , or $2289.20 for the four, including hardware. At the shop here we charge $99 per axle for the rotor and pad replacement. $198 for all 4. The best fluid we have is the AP608 and it runs $28.99 per bottle x3 for the system=$86.97. Brake pads. Ferodo DS2500 fronts are $401.31 and rears are $206.63. We can even add some stainless steel lines at $314.79 +$198 to install(bleed and flush).

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIG...&model=GT-R

Total installed would be $3694.90 here at STILLEN. That is four better than stock rotors. Better than stock pads. Better than stock fluid, and new stainless steel brake lines. For less than the 9k, you could have it shipped to us, we could do it, and ship it back.

However if you want the ultimate brake upgrade for a GT-R, we have the CCM, carbon ceramic matrix brake rotors at $15,990. 38 lbs lighter than stock, and they should last the life of the car.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIG...&model=GT-R

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
However, if the cracks extend to 0.16 in (4 mm)
or longer after repeated application of the
brakes at high loads during high performance

driving, or through the continued use of the
brakes, the disc rotors must be replaced
[/b][/i]
Like this...

[quote name='[email protected]']
The proven track and hard street race use rotor for the GT-R is the STILLEN/AP racing curved vane rotor
Like this...

Which, after a YEAR of heavy track abuse, still looks like this...

9,000 sheqel's might be a reasonable replacement cost, but for OEM's that crack this easily, while the replacement CHEAPER ones stand up to 1000 degree temps with those results? Nope.

When they crack BAD, or you go to track, then get Stillen/AP's.

Shawn

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've got the same problem on my 08. Will eventually replace rotors when I can manage. For now they will just have to do.

·
OnTrack Maniac
1,654 Posts
Like the guys above have said, your brakes aren't ready for replacement yet.

But when they are, DO NOT go to the dealer for it
As you have been told its a total rip off.

I would take Sean's advice on the Stillen products...we are running those rotors on our OneLap car.

Hope this helps

~Cicio
Yeah, the Stillen/AP rotors are definitely a huge improvement over OEM and way less expensive. There's no way I'd pay that much for OEM parts that are just going to crack like that again on you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
BUMP for this thread. I saw mine and almost freaked glad to know its not a "ticking Brake bomb"

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
BUMP for this thread. I saw mine and almost freaked glad to know its not a "ticking Brake bomb"
The ones previously posted aren't that bad, but if they are longer cracks, they can become problematic quickly. Also, if any of the cracks ever reach the edge of the rotor, it should be replaced immediately.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The ones previously posted aren't that bad, but if they are longer cracks, they can become problematic quickly. Also, if any of the cracks ever reach the edge of the rotor, it should be replaced immediately.
Absolutely. Mine are not near as bad as the first photo but know they need to be replaced next year. Looking forward to your next brake sale Tim!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yesterday I've done 40K service at the dealer and the technician said I have to replace the rotors. It looks less crack than the posted pic. But he mentioned the thickness of the rotor is why it should be replaced. does anyone heard that rotors to be replaced due to the thickness?!!

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
No need to replace those. Mine looked way worse.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yesterday I've done 40K service at the dealer and the technician said I have to replace the rotors. It looks less crack than the posted pic. But he mentioned the thickness of the rotor is why it should be replaced. does anyone heard that rotors to be replaced due to the thickness?!!

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GT-R Life mobile app
Yes it`s not uncommon, manufacturers usually give a "minimum" thickness for the rotors. I suppose there is quite a safety margin baked into the figures. Unfortunately i don`t have the numbers for the GTR but one of the vendors must be able to chip in here. It`s not uncommon for people to use a lathe and turn their discs "flat" but it`s nothing i would recommend on a GTR or sports vehicle. If i remember correctly once upon a time the discs themselves were stamped with the min measurement ! .Take a good look at your discs and use a little common sense to evaluate their condition,the lip on the outer dia and maybe be serious cracks from the holes reaching out to the od of the rotor. However your mechanic never mentioned that. Good luck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts