Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something horrible happened this weekend. I went out to the garage that I just rented a space in, got in my brand new GT-R and started to back out. I heard something fall over in the front right corner of the garage. I got out to see what it was and found that the owner's storage cabinet, which had been filled with over a dozen heavy paint cans, had collapsed overnight and dumped the cans all over the hood/fender/bumper of my baby (luckily none of them spilled paint).

My dealer said they can get her right back to brand new condition. They have a really great body shop nearby that specializes in exotics/luxury cars and is Volvo certified (not sure why that's important but he said it was). I called the body shop and the manager said they had good experience with Super Silver as well (which I understand is a nightmare to paint).

The owner of the garage has been very apologetic and has offered to cover the damages. Now I get to have fun with the insurance company.

Please let me know if there are important things that I should know. I've never had to get body/paint work done on a car before, nor dealt with an auto insurance claim (in 15+ yrs, which is a pretty decent record!).

Still extremely pissed... I think I may have teared up when I saw what happened...

My service advisor asked me to share the photos online so here you go:

Attachments

·
R36 Member
796 Posts
Is it just the hood? You mention the fender/bumper as well, but I don't see any pics.

What area are you in? We can help by finding out the better body shops in the area.
If this happened to me, I would ask for a full replacement of the bumper/fender/hood and ask for it to be full clearbra'd as well.

Note: The insurance company will always try to push for their 'body shop.' Of course, this is the cheapest one in the area and is generally not recommended. Do the due diligence and find out which one has the best top-notch reviews in your area and has worked on GTR's before.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imagine over a dozen, filled to the top, gallon-sized, metal paint cans falling from about 3 feet above the car and hitting the hood, right fender, and somehow the middle of the front bumper...

I'll take a pic of the fender and bumper when I leave work and post it tonight. These pics really don't do justice to the damage - it is severe.

I'm in Seattle and my dealer is in Bellevue. The dealer recommended Bellevue Auto Rebuild. I talked with Sal, the manager there, and he said they've worked on GT-Rs before and done the Super Silver paint. They specialize in Mercedes and exotics.

So far the claims adjuster from Progressive, who was supposed to call me today, hasn't called and I keep getting her voicemail. I really hope they aren't a problem to deal with. I am going to insist on the right body shop.

Thanks for the tips!
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Tints and shades Automotive design Space

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
Go to 2 or 3 good body shops and have them write you a estimate to have it fixed, but tell them to put the price of NEW oem parts, not fixing the parts you have, So when you talk to the insurance you can let them know you got a few estimates on having it fixed

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the same thing happen in my garage not too long ago. Shelf fell down onto the car. Thankfully no real damage though. Had a 3 ft iron bar hanging half off the shelf inches away from my car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update: found a great body shop in Bellevue that has done major work on another super silver GT-R (even showed me pics). The other two estimates I got didn't impress me much. The one I went with was a much bigger, nicer, cleaner shop that specialized in Mercedes, Porsche, and Infiniti. They nailed it when I told the guy to replace the headlight (like the first two had recommended) and he told me that it wasn't necessary. I was skeptical so he said, "Give me the keys, I'll have the headlight buffed out right now. If it doesn't look perfect we'll replace it." In ten minutes the headlight was perfect. That impressed the sh*t out of me.

All three shops said the hood had to be replaced and luckily the Progressive adjuster was so impressed by the car that he went along with the full estimate - no changes. The shop ordered the hood, just got it in, and I'll be dropping the car off on Wed before heading out on two weeks vacation in the BVIs. I should have a good-as-new GT-R waiting for me when I get back.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
It's the 2 weeks in the BVI that captured my attention. Sailing???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL - haven't been on this forum for over a year! I guess I've been too distracted by my awesome car.

Just wanted to mention that the repairs were fantastic and the car looks good as new. The body shop did, however, screw up the Super Silver paint on their first attempt (even though I told them several times that it's really hard to get right and they needed to call the manufacturer to make sure they had the process right). I don't recall the specifics, but it had to do with the drying process in between coats. The first attempt left blotchy spots that could only be seen in certain lighting from certain angles. In bright, direct sunlight you wouldn't notice anything. But pull into a gas station at night and glance at the hood from 5 feet away and it looked just horrible. They re-painted the whole thing for free. Even flew out the GM of the paint company to show them how to do it.

BAD LUCK: So last September I was turning left from a one-way to a one-way. There were two turning lanes. The inside lane had to go left, the outside lane, which I was in, had the option to continue straight or turn left. In the inside lane is a huge Ford F-350. Light turns green, I start to make my turn, and being in the quicker car, was a full car length into the intersection as the truck was just starting. As I turn in front of her she keeps going straight and rear-ends me. Luckily she just clipped my left rear bumper and only left an ugly scrape. I asked her why she went straight and she said she was trying to text her friend and didn't see the sign. Sigh...

That was the first time in my life that I had ever been rear-ended. So I get an estimate from the same shop: $1200 to re-paint the bumper. Yeesh. A week goes by and I schedule it for the following week as I'm on my way out of town on a business trip. The day before I drop it off I'm sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The car in front of me moves up about two car lengths, I slowly follow, traffic stops again, and BAM! A gorgeous 20-something redhead in a Toyota Tacoma pick-up slams right into the back of me. I look back at her in the rear-view and see her mouth wide open in shock and her cell phone held just to the right of her face. We pull over, I'm FURIOUS after getting hit twice in the same week. But she's hot, so, ya know... I say, "You were texting, weren't you?" She's nervous as hell, nearly in shock considering the kind of car she just hit, and she says, "My friend just texted me to let me know where to meet her. I'm so sorry!"

FARK! FREAKIN' CELL PHONES. STOP TEXTING AND DRIVING!!!

On the bright side, I was able to get the bumper replaced and painted while I was on my business trip and I got to keep the check from the first accident. So I ended up making $1200 and really wasn't even inconvenienced that much, other than the many phone calls with their insurance providers.

Good times...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.