Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed an odd problem. On coming out of parking lots with any sort of decline onto road going surface, making right turn, it seems that car does not want to engage in gear immediately. Would not be so bad, but it always happens when I have oncoming traffice. Just today happened again, this time saw the traction control light come one flash on/off. Very strange...Has anyone ever had such an experience...

Called dealer, they think wheel may lose contact with ground, but I would feel that, and these declines are not that steep...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Happens all the time with me when I leave too quickly. Slow exit and no problems. Try turning off VDC when leaving the parking lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VDC off, loss of warranty or at least makes dealership question activities?? I'm new to GTR world having just bought mine amonth in a half ago, so still learning the ropes...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
They shouldn't void your warranty just from turning off VDC. They can see when you turn it off as well as how you're driving it i.e. throttle position and steering input. I'd just turn it back on once you pull out of the parking lot and are driving straight.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The outside rear wheel might momentarily lose traction. The stiff suspension helps keep your car from rolling like a boat, but at the same time the tires might be more likely to lose contact in low speed decline turns like that. Borrow your kid's hot wheels to see for yourself or have someone take video footage of you driving down that decline.

You could also try comfort mode to see if the longer suspension travel helps keep the tire in contact with the ground. If you can, avoid applying power at the moment where the tire may lose contact; instead, just let it roll until it flattens out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, thats kind of what the dealer said as well, but if this is the case, shouldn't the system send torque to remaining wheels for spin/ traction with VDC on? I thought that is what it was for...I see your point on suspension travel, I currently have all options on "Normal" setting...Will try the Comfort setting, but do want the dealership to take a look at it first...

·
Registered
990 Posts
There can still be momentary spin, depending on how aggressive the traction control is dialed to. Traction control including engine output control is deactivated in VDC Off mode although they don't recommend you turn if off. You get more of an AWD performance in VDC R mode since it adjusts front and rear wheel power in addition to the brake and engine control of VDC Normal mode for everyday driving. That means the front wheels are more likely to get torque. Remember that the GT-R is rear wheel biased and will only send up to 50% power to the front.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've developed an odd problem. On coming out of parking lots with any sort of decline onto road going surface, making right turn, it seems that car does not want to engage in gear immediately. Would not be so bad, but it always happens when I have oncoming traffice. Just today happened again, this time saw the traction control light come one flash on/off. Very strange...Has anyone ever had such an experience...

Called dealer, they think wheel may lose contact with ground, but I would feel that, and these declines are not that steep...
There is something else going on with the VDC coding in these cars I believe when a downgrade is involved. I can get the same kind of behaviour pointing straight ahead on a downgrade with clean, dry pavement (no loss of traction but traction control still lights up). Repro is stop on a hill, facing downhill, then accelerate briskly (say 3/4 throttle). Acceleration will bog out and traction control will light up. Seems that there is some other logic in there that's trying to calculate the rate of acceleration and when the wheels start turning "too fast" (because of the downgrade) then VDC kicks in and pulls the throttle. It takes 2-5 seconds for it to get itself sorted out and put the power back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.