Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if any of you have put deposits down on the next generation GT-R, the R36, and how that was handled with your dealer. For example, did the dealer actually take your money or a credit card hold, how much, and how did you negotiate price? As many/most of us have heard so far, the R36 is still two or three years ago from being released, and pricing is expected to be somewhere between $120K-$150K. Looks like Nissan is playing their cards very close to the vest, but I'm sure they want to ensure the R36 is every much the game changer the R35 was. In the production years following the 2009 GT-R, quite a few cars have moved closer to/matched, the GT-R's acceleration and top end speed, if not handling around a track. Could anyone have imagined seven, eight years ago that a Dodge Charger would be able to potentially match a GT-R in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? And now we have the Hellcat. I really hope Nissan significantly raises the bar with the R36!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Either no one is telling they have or there are none. I asked my dealership and they seem clueless to the term R36. I have asked two others and recieved no meaningful response. A fourth dealer did seem to know the term and said they would get me one when they could. No more has been done. No deposits or terms. I'll keep my eyes open across brands to be honest.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
To be fair, most dealers are clueless to what R35 (or R34, 33, 32) means.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Nothing is official from Nissan yet, if someone takes a deposit its only for when it does become official, you may be the first at that dealership but other than that it wouldn't mean anything

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
There will be plenty of 6 figure R36's to go around....

Sent from my SM-N915V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There will be plenty of 6 figure R36's to go around....

Sent from my SM-N915V using GT-R Life mobile app
I'm guessing the Premium trim level R36 will start at around $115K-$120K, and then on up for the Black Edition, Track Edition, and NISMO. To the remarks made already about clueless dealers, I have found this to be the case as well. At worse, I get salesmen trying to sell me a 2016 GT-R or a NISMO. When I repeatedly tell them I have a '14 GT-R, it's my second one, and we're talking about the next generation GT-R, there is a pause, followed by, "Oh...okay, well, I don't know anything about that yet, but...". At best, a dealer will come right out and say they are aware of the next generation GT-R coming, but there is no information on it yet. I guess we really are two to three years away from the R36 hitting the dealerships. And I'm cringing at the thought of dealer markups. I remember the $20K to $30K some dealers were demanding for the '09 GT-R's (some even held, "auctions", or offered the vehicles to the highest paying buyers).

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
115 to 120 for the base is just not realistic to me. I agree with everyone that this is where I hope it starts and this is where it needs to be to not stray from the current financial level of buyers. However, I just don't see with the hybrid tech and all other upgrades how it will stay that low. I fear it will be closer to 130-140 to start at least. But who knows. It's a waiting game.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
115 to 120 for the base is just not realistic to me. I agree with everyone that this is where I hope it starts and this is where it needs to be to not stray from the current financial level of buyers. However, I just don't see with the hybrid tech and all other upgrades how it will stay that low. I fear it will be closer to 130-140 to start at least. But who knows. It's a waiting game.

I agree with you, so I guess my estimate was based upon more hope than reality. Still, for Nissan to price the car at almost twice as much as the R35 when it first came out is ridiculous. The R35 was a game changer, with performance matching cars that were $100K more in price. I'm sure Nissan doesn't want to release the R36 unless it has the same impact on the high performance car market as the R35 did. But if Nissan prices the base, premium model at $130K or higher, then we're already at the price of an AMG GT (which recently was rated as better all around than the 2016 GT-R). And some folks may decide instead on the new Z/28, CTS-V, or even the Hellcat Charger or Challenger. What was expensive for the 2009 GT-R, but still attainable by a good number of people, for 2018(?) could put the R36 out of reach for a substantial number of people.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wish we had confirmation on a release year & price range. On stand by with mods until we receive more info.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based upon speculation that the new base, or Premium, R36 could be $120K, $130K, or more, I wonder if people will opt instead for an R35 NISMO edition, or something like an Alpha? By then shouldn't those models be below $100K? For the performance those editions put out, they could be the equal of the R36, at least in terms of performance numbers.

·
Registered
923 Posts

150+ but what do you expect from a car that will match the p1s performance for under 10% of the price.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
150+ but what do you expect from a car that will match the p1s performance for under 10% of the price.
I agree completely..maybe even more

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Now that would be nice but we know that?

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
If indeed the R36 is priced b/t 120k-150k...would the value of the R35 increase or decrease?
I'd suspect it would freeze (or level around 50-60).

I believe it depends on the ultimate performance and technology jump the R36 will make. It is a turbo hybrid with an 8sp dual clutch, etc... that is P1 performance, then I'd expect the the R35 to go up just a little, because at even half the cost of an R36, the used R35's would be a bargain.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd suspect it would freeze (or level around 50-60).

I believe it depends on the ultimate performance and technology jump the R36 will make. It is a turbo hybrid with an 8sp dual clutch, etc... that is P1 performance, then I'd expect the the R35 to go up just a little, because at even half the cost of an R36, the used R35's would be a bargain.
Great points

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dealers are going to be well above MSRP for the first year of R36 production and with that premium you get the honor of being a Nissan guinea pig for both the vehicle and warranty program

PASS... I'll wait until the 2nd or 3rd model year before considering the R36.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Dealers are going to be well above MSRP for the first year of R36 production and with that premium you get the honor of being a Nissan guinea pig for both the vehicle and warranty program

PASS... I'll wait until the 2nd or 3rd model year before considering the R36.
There's no way to tell what the mark up will be....so many factors come into play....production numbers, price, state of the economy.....selling a 6 figure car in a weak economy can be quite a challenge.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
There's no way to tell what the mark up will be....so many factors come into play....production numbers, price, state of the economy.....selling a 6 figure car in a weak economy can be quite a challenge.....
Of course we can only predict what that will be based on current trends. The GTR is currently the highest price it has ever been and also selling better than it ever has. Unless we have a major economical disaster in the next 2 years, I foresee the R36 selling at a premium and early adopters being the ones to sort out Nissan's first year mistakes. But then again, Nissan could go totally against the trends they have set and I would be 100% wrong.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Also you have to take into consideration that when the R35 hit the market, the dealerships had to purchase a lot of new equipment to do the GT-R alignment/POS services. That was a big reason for the dealership mark-ups in 2008-2009 to recoup the cost of those (which is complete BS, why should we the customer have to pay for that). Now that they have the equipment to service these types cars the dealerships will be less inclined to do mark-ups IMO. I could be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts