Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi I've been doing research on buying a GT-R and I came across a thread which described the differences. Can someone post the thread if possible?

From what I understand there were significant improvements which include
485 bHP to 530
different engine mapping
more free flowing exhaust
LED driving lights
retuned suspension
larger brake discs
slightly nicer interior
larger intake

Are those essentially the changes??
PS
it was on Nagtroc. I've already read up on 2009gtr.com

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
And the Chassis version changed.. Having owned both the 2011 and the 2012 BE now , i can tell you that the car feels and drive completly differently .. night and day .

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice site. Thanks. I've already perused it quite a bit. Trying to decide which car to buy. I don't plan to mod the car (at least that's what I'm telling myself now, LOL) which makes me want a 2012. But saving 10-15k isn't a bad way to go either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the Chassis version changed.. Having owned both the 2011 and the 2012 BE now , i can tell you that the car feels and drive completly differently .. night and day .
can you elaborate?? I think that I'm going to wait a little bit 'til the 2012's depreciate a bit more but I'm still open to getting a 2010 or 2011...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Well . I had an early 2011 model . I v drove it as a daily and on 7 track events and put about 24000 miles on it in 11 month . I felt the car was already phenomenal and blablabla from the moment I picked it up from the dealership till the last day iv drove it .

The 2012 BE , again a really early model ( one of the 3 made in premium lines 100 or so car before the start of the real BE line ) , felt rigt away much much stiffer and composed to me since te beginning . I m use to do sideway movements abruptly to " scuff the tires " and while doing this with the 2012 , iv noticed much less understear that I used to notice when doing so with my 11 . It might sound stupid but I feel the front going or not going even at 50 mph turning abruptly .

On the track , it's an amazing car . Killed 4 sec off my best time with the 11 on a hotter day .The chassis feels mug more stable ( already was but under heavy turns and agressive driving , te car just feel amazingly composed to me ) .

The transmission in the beginning felt wy smoother to me , and personnally Iiked te rattling and the clunking mechanical that I was hearing . I still hear it but it's all smoother , shifting is smoother also. It was soo smooth tht I had at first a hard time beleiving that this car was faster than my 11 from 0 to 60 , yet it was misleading as it is much much faster on acceleration . Also on freeway speed , the car felt nuts . It feels like it's breathing much more easier and better .

Iv put on bother car the knn drop ins and the mid pipe so it's really apple to apple .

On track , the 11 was overheating much more than the 12 . I would say that on agressive driving , in my 11 , I would be lucky to drive 10 laps without feeling important to stop and cool off . In the 12 you can make that 20 laps .That was before putting my ssP tran coolant , now this is even more safe for the car . Stints of 30 mins safely on good gas makes my day and the car is really healthy.

What else , I love it really and this one is a keeper . Iv had it since may and I'm 8500 miles on it and I bought an m3 and an A6 to try to not put too many miles on this one heh . Nevertheless , It still feels to me like the first time I drove it , suspension is really stiff and engine roars and pushes nicely .

Oh the breaks , I have felt a difference on braking . Aggressively , with te stainless steal Stillen brake lines, I'm feeling consistent breaking power and accuracy without fade that I'm feeling , while in the 11 I would feel the pedal going away from me after heavily sing them .

Hope that helps you in your decision. Bottom line is a gTr is a gTr . I feel the 11 would hae made me spent allot on after marke upgrades for track usage and having fun driving relliably , while the 12 is , with few precautionnary upgrades , more out of te box ready for this purpose .

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
Well . I had an early 2011 model . I v drove it as a daily and on 7 track events and put about 24000 miles on it in 11 month . I felt the car was already phenomenal and blablabla from the moment I picked it up from the dealership till the last day iv drove it .

The 2012 BE , again a really early model ( one of the 3 made in premium lines 100 or so car before the start of the real BE line ) , felt rigt away much much stiffer and composed to me since te beginning . I m use to do sideway movements abruptly to " scuff the tires " and while doing this with the 2012 , iv noticed much less understear that I used to notice when doing so with my 11 . It might sound stupid but I feel the front going or not going even at 50 mph turning abruptly .

On the track , it's an amazing car . Killed 4 sec off my best time with the 11 on a hotter day .The chassis feels mug more stable ( already was but under heavy turns and agressive driving , te car just feel amazingly composed to me ) .

The transmission in the beginning felt wy smoother to me , and personnally Iiked te rattling and the clunking mechanical that I was hearing . I still hear it but it's all smoother , shifting is smoother also. It was soo smooth tht I had at first a hard time beleiving that this car was faster than my 11 from 0 to 60 , yet it was misleading as it is much much faster on acceleration . Also on freeway speed , the car felt nuts . It feels like it's breathing much more easier and better .

Iv put on bother car the knn drop ins and the mid pipe so it's really apple to apple .

On track , the 11 was overheating much more than the 12 . I would say that on agressive driving , in my 11 , I would be lucky to drive 10 laps without feeling important to stop and cool off . In the 12 you can make that 20 laps .That was before putting my ssP tran coolant , now this is even more safe for the car . Stints of 30 mins safely on good gas makes my day and the car is really healthy.

What else , I love it really and this one is a keeper . Iv had it since may and I'm 8500 miles on it and I bought an m3 and an A6 to try to not put too many miles on this one heh . Nevertheless , It still feels to me like the first time I drove it , suspension is really stiff and engine roars and pushes nicely .

Oh the breaks , I have felt a difference on braking . Aggressively , with te stainless steal Stillen brake lines, I'm feeling consistent breaking power and accuracy without fade that I'm feeling , while in the 11 I would feel the pedal going away from me after heavily sing them .

Hope that helps you in your decision. Bottom line is a gTr is a gTr . I feel the 11 would hae made me spent allot on after marke upgrades for track usage and having fun driving relliably , while the 12 is , with few precautionnary upgrades , more out of te box ready for this purpose .
are you typing from a phone...?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
^^^Thanks for the input. I think about going from my '09 to a '12. Anyhow on the street with the suspension being stiffer.........are you blowing up your kidneys and breaking your spine?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
^^^Thanks for the input. I think about going from my '09 to a '12. Anyhow on the street with the suspension being stiffer.........are you blowing up your kidneys and breaking your spine?
Not at all :) Its stiffer in r mode . The confi is more confortable than my 11 .

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
But by stiffer I mean the turns , the feel of the car while turning and driving in general , it's almost like the power steering an the suspension are linked directly or soemthing. It feels good an brings a better driving experience . To me at least

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great. now I feel obligated to spend the extra 10-12k to get the 2012.... j/k
thanks for sharing your experience!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Maybe you should wait ! That 2013 sounds pretty cool ! I might skip it to get the tran edition or the track pack !

2012 for sale ? Grr

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Lol yes !! At whole foods doing grossery shopping . Does it show ? Haha
Rif, that is a lot to type from a phone. I don't think I could have hammered that much out from my phone.

Rif is a true car guy, and a GT-R guy. Taking his car to the track both road course, and drag strip. IDRC, and Irwindale.

On the cars, you can wait, you can get it now. There will always be something newer and shinier. Its not realistic to always and sit around and wait for the new, as we live in the now. If its something you want now, get it and enjoy it now. If you can wait, then wait.

·
Registered
929 Posts
On the cars, you can wait, you can get it now. There will always be something newer and shinier. Its not realistic to always and sit around and wait for the new, as we live in the now. If its something you want now, get it and enjoy it now. If you can wait, then wait.
Well said!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.