Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm planning to change out the fluid on both differentials during my next oil change. Is there any reason to change earlier than the recommended 18k intervals on a street driven car with no track use? I have almost 12k on the clock.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I'm planning to change out the fluid on both differentials during my next oil change. Is there any reason to change earlier than the recommended 18k intervals on a street driven car with no track use? I have almost 12k on the clock.

Thanks
For the first change, change it once early. Then to the regular intervals. There is a lot of "junk" the first time.

Shawn

·
Registered
882 Posts
hm..reading the Service and Maintenance guide it says "Change differential oil every 1,800 miles (3,000 km)." Is that a misprint or is that really the recommended fluid change interval? Seems a little excessive.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
hm..reading the Service and Maintenance guide it says "Change differential oil every 1,800 miles (3,000 km)." Is that a misprint or is that really the recommended fluid change interval? Seems a little excessive.
There was a track only requirement for 2009's that was 1,800 miles for all fluids, but this was somewhat temperature dependent.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Thanks Shawn.

By the way, would you also recommend changing the transmission fluid the same time too?
One time early, if you can. Pulling the transmission pan and cleaning the magnets is also good. If you don't track, my ideas may be too aggressive, but the amount of metallic goo that's in everything in these cars the first change is huge. I think getting it out has to be good.

Shawn

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
That's quite unpleasant looking. The fluid looks oxidized and full of debris. Yuck.

Did you pull both filters to get that s*** out?

Yikes!

Shwn

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
the pulled fluid was standard fluid in the first 15,000 miles. Looks blackened. I am running now FFL-4 and less solenoid now.

Yes I had washed both filter with mains water and dried completely before I remounted them.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
the pulled fluid was standard fluid in the first 15,000 miles. Looks blackened. I am running now FFL-4 and less solenoid now.

Yes I had washed both filter with mains water and dried completely before I remounted them.
Other than expense and trusting Nissan's recommendation, can you tell me why wait that long for the first change? The first time I pulled my pan convinced me that I either needed better fluid, more frequent changes, or both.

Good idea on the filters. Holy crap.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

I want to thank you very much for detailing your saga of cleaning your valve body. It was part of my research for the following project:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61518-seriously-considering-shift-caps/

and were it not for your carefully documented saga of valve body alignment, I would have not competeted the saga.

Also could not have accurately documented the following without your help:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/65181-2012-transmission-sump-pan-installed-on-2009/

Shawn

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm around 12,000 and going to wait until 18,000. No point of wasting good fluid, it's expensive! Costed me $700.00 just for the fluids alone.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had mine changed out at 10,000 for free by the dealer under my maintenance plan, both trans and diff's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How much did that plan cost?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've noticed that the earlier cars manuals said change trans and diff fluid at 18K but the later years say 36K. Since all the components are pretty much the same, did they just realize that the 18K fluid changes were complete overkill? Is it ok to wait every 36K on a 2010 for those fluid changes? I just did one at 16K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts