Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Quick DIY on installing the downpipes, this was done in my garage with jackstands, wasn't all that are.

Before actually getting to the downpipes:
  1. The two rear most section of the fron underpaneling was removed
  2. I removed the midpipe from the car.
  3. I then unbolted the smaller driveshaft (sits under the passenger seat area) but let it hang to get the passenger side downpipes off. Note do not remove the shaft, just unbolt the 4 12mm bolts on the carrier side and let it hang.
  4. The bracket connected to bottom and holding both downpipes was removed.
  5. Chassis stiffening brace under midpipe area was removed.

The driver side was a simple unbolt and remove, however before attempting to remove anything I sprayed PB Blaster "liberally" over all the bolts on the exhaust housing and downpipe to midpipe mounting points.

Important note, to avoid rounding the nuts I used a 6pt 14mm socket instead of a 12 point and was very careful by making sure the socket was properly seated all the way onto the nut.

Tools Used:
24" 3/8 Extension
Rachet with 18" handle (Mainly for leverage)
O2 Sensor Socket
14mm Wobble socket (Was most beneficial)
14mm offset wrench - Was only used to remove the lowest nut on the driver side.

Note: Very handy tool a regular swivel and socket could get into the tight places.

Passenger Side Removed:

Exhaust Housing:

Passenger Side Agency Power downpipe installed:

Another shot:

Driver Side:

Driver side downpipe on:

Driveshaft reconnected:

Finished:

CBRD Midpipe Back on:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow! Thank you very much this valuable info. I think it was more difficult to do it.
Great Write-up!

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Thank you very much this valuable info. I think it was more difficult to do it.
Great Write-up!
Having the longer rachet bar and that wobble socket made it easy, making sure the socket was completely on the nut was key also.

To remove the O2 sensors, I sat the OEM Downpipes in a vice sprayed with PB Blaster and slowly but constantly turned.

·
Super Moderator
8,942 Posts
Nice work.....good DIY for the GT-R community...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great Job congrats and thanks for posting! How many hours did it take from your time? Did you change mid pipe and cat backs too?

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Took about 2.5 to 3hrs, took my time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good to hear it is actually fairy easy to do. While I was changing my diff/tranny oil, I was looking at the downpipes and it looked to be a very, very straight forward job especially compared to other twin turbo V6 platforms out there. The only caution I could think of is to liberally apply PB blaster and go easy on the nuts so that you don't strip or break off a stud in the turbine housing.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to hear it is actually fairy easy to do. While I was changing my diff/tranny oil, I was looking at the downpipes and it looked to be a very, very straight forward job especially compared to other twin turbo V6 platforms out there. The only caution I could think of is to liberally apply PB blaster and go easy on the nuts so that you don't strip or break off a stud in the turbine housing.
Yep, I attached a wd40 'straw' to the pb blaster can to reach the upper most bolts. I also made sure the socket was properly seated and the angle of the socket on nut, while I turned, stayed straight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow that fast. Did you have to do a retune after the instal?

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its recommended, however I was also told the OTS Cobb v3.6 works well with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just wanted to say TY this helped a ton. I did buy the best socket made for this job.

Snap-On Part Number PFSXM914B 14MM Swivel 6 Point Extension Socket $50-$60.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=740205&PartNo=PFSXM914B&group_id=674873&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

I was able to get seated flat on every bolt and put a ton of pressure on without feeling scared i was going to snap something. Right tool for the job makes all the differance. Ty for the help again.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They may be very slow, I also did this on the floor without a lift.

Tools are "key", I can't stress that enough, that 6pt wobble socket, not "swivel" and not 12 point made it tons easier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I honestly dont know the differance between wobble and swivel but that snap on one was perfect. I used this thread and that tool. Couldnt have done it without the other. Thanks for the write up.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
You got the right thing, I bought the cheap version without here integrated extension.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I will be using this and the Cobb DP install .PDF this weekend.

EDIT: Nevermind, the top plug is for top O2 sensor.

Oh, and from what I hear I should PB blast the day before and morning of!

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PB Blaster may be helpful but no way as helpful as the right tools, I.e that wobble socket.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts