Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,183 Posts
A common problem faced by many owners is the scratches on the center console. After removal, you can either wrap the console, plasti-dip or as I did paint it. I tried both black and silver carbon fiber wrap and was not a fan of it. To each their own. I painted mine a year ago and has gone numerous cleanings especially since my wife manages to leave coffee stains on the center console every time she drives. I was asked to post up a pic so thought I would share my permanent fix with the community. These pics are a year after it was completed.

Step 1 Remove Center Console

Use a flat screw diver of a plastic removing tool to remove the side pieces.

Next pull up on the console in the cup holder area and it will pull up from the tabs.

Step 2 Prep and Paint

Scuff the console with a fine sand paper. I believe I used 1200 grit but don't quote me on it since it's been a year. Degrease and then paint. Follow the directions on the aerosol can. Start with a light dusting of paint. Patience is the key when it comes to painting. Here is the product I used:

Here is the final product installed. The flat black paint matches the flat black color of the plastic area where the knobs for fan and radio control are.

Hopefully this will help others.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
thanks for the DIY! Another method to removing the side panel, is to just use your hands instead of the remover tool.

1. Grip the face of the side panel with both hands, with your thumb on the outside of the panel (foam/rubber-ized dash part) and pull towards you. The panel should pop out.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

It's it possible and easy to get all that silver trim out to paint? How?

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Wow, what a simple process, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nice write-up. Another method to get those little side pieces out on either side of the Bose plate is to just place your fingers flat on them and push sideways (parallel) while pulling towards the back of the car. This way you don't risk damaging the edges of the plastic panels.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Nice write-up. Another method to get those little side pieces out on either side of the Bose plate is to just place your fingers flat on them and push sideways (parallel) while pulling towards the back of the car. This way you don't risk damaging the edges of the plastic panels.
+1, that's what I wrote also.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nice write up. I did it too. Instead of Krylon, I used the black Plasti Dip. I just like the rubbery feeling and scratch resistance of it. You can easily get a can from Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just had a idea to wrap mine, just what I wanted to see, thanks!

Samsung Galaxy S4

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've got a big scratch on mine after just 3 weeks! GRRR!!

what would a wrapped center console look like?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Shadowsports just wrapped mine in matte cf
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Real carbon fiber, not the 3m vinyl

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sweet, looks awesome guys. Thanks for the pics.

Where can I go in central NJ to get this done??

If I were to DIY, it be easier to spray than to wrap correct?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.