Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

This will serve as an intro and a mini-journal of my GT-R ownership. I signed up a while ago for occasional miscellaneous reference, such as wheel specs and general R35 information. My first sports car was a 40th Anniversary 370Z that I purchased in March 2010. I always wanted a Z and I finally got one. A few of my friends bugged me about going through a mid-life crisis...though I wasn't. LOL! Well, another car that I always wanted was a Skyline GT-R. As I'm sure many of you were ecstatic when Nissan announced that they were going to make the R35 available everywhere, I too rejoiced at the possible chance of one day owning my own Godzilla. Well, after years of dreaming and convicing my wife, that day finally arrived. I just picked up my jet black 2012 GT-R Black Edition on Feb 2, 2012. Yes, I'm about to turn 40 in March (and so is my wife), and no I'm not going through a mid-life crisis, but I'm going to use that excuse to justify the purchase anyway, LOL!

Here are a few initial pictures I took over the last couple of days.

Thursday night, taking delivery at Sherwood Nissan in Sherwood Park, Alberta.

The first thing I did was apply Con-Tact clear shelf paper to the front end and mirrors to minimize the chance of getting a rock chip prior to getting a 3M clear bra put on the next day. I was googling to find a Canadian distributer for Road Wrap, hoping to get it express shipped so that I can use it on delivery for the drive home and then for the drive to the tint installer. In my search, I came across a few references about Road Wrap causing some damage to clear coat and/or leaving small patches of adhesive residue to clean up. One source on a Corvette forum said that they had been using Con-Tact shelf paper for 6 years for autocross and track events with no adverse results on his car. I found out that Home Depot was selling 9' x 18" rolls of this stuff for $5 each. I ended up using two rolls to cover the majority of the front end...I know, not pretty but it did the job. It handled highway speeds without flying off. It does turn brittle when cold (close to freezing) but once warmed up it removed easily without any residue. Here's what it looked like when I left the dealership.

Here are some pics taken yesterday while coming home after the 3M clear bra and tint were applied. European Auto Tinting did a fabulous job!

BTW, a few buddies have asked me "how the heck were you able to get your wife to agree to this?!?" In case some of you are looking for a GT-R and haven't gotten one because of the same speed bumps I had to face, I thought I'd share the following, as my way to help you and contribute to this forum. LOL!

My trick for procuring a GT-R. Follow these instructions:
1. talk about the GT-R...ALL THE TIME.
2. buy the wife something nice (e.g. Subaru STi)
3. talk some more about the GT-R...ALL THE TIME.
4. teach your very young kids to recognize the car by sight, and be able to call it by its name.
5. get your kids to talk about the GT-R...ALL THE TIME.
6. while her ears are still ringing, arrange to bring her to the dealership for a test drive. Let her drive.
7. she falls in love...sold.
8. re-apply the above until desired results achieved. This method is not exclusive to GT-R, but may be applicable to any car you desire.
9. the above is applicable to married men only. Single men in a relationship please start at step #1, skip steps 2-8 and proceed straight to #10.
10. Just buy the car and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
IMHO black is the best color on the GT-R

Enjoy it in good health

·
Registered
883 Posts
Congratulations on the new beast!

I like your procurement trick! For me my wife said okay to shut me up from talking about the GT-R all the time. The funny thing is that I'm not sure I stopped talking about GT-Rs once I owned one.

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

mprsev...LOL...once you secured your car, it doesn't matter anymore, you can do whatever you want. Ha ha! And there's so much to talk about.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Get your wife to agree to it?????

Isn't it easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission?

Well done at any rate you got the car. Enjoy!

·
R33 Member
958 Posts
Congratulations.....that procurement strategy sounded very familiar lol. Enjoy:)

·
AMGfan
2,786 Posts
When I talk about cars my wife just rolls her eyes...I could be talking about a Prius with twin turbochargers and invariably the conversation will come back to which shoes will go with this dress...

I did #2 (2012 C250) and my hall pass for the GTR was punched...in the end I just did it anyway and made sure she doesn't have access to any of the bank accounts and my credit cards. She'll roll her eyes anyway regardless of what I roll up in...

PS Beautiful ride...I really think the BE wheels look best on the black color. Stay safe!

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the well-wishes guys! I can't wait for the roads to be completely dry and cleaned of gravel to really open her up. Fortunately there hasn't been much snow this winter. Truth be told, my first choice in colour was red, then gun metallic, and black was third. But, I got a smoking deal on a black (which looks great on any car), over one remaining red '12, which would have cost $$$$ to have shipped to me from across the country. At the time of purchase, there were only 3 new '12's remaining in Canada, and the dealership I went to had two of them. I didn't want to pay the extra premium for a 2013 and of course the wait associated with the order too. All-in-all, I'm VERY HAPPY with my purchase. BTW, AMGFan, your car looks awesome!

Have you guys seen the track bag? That looks cool. If I'm not toting my helmet with it, I'd totally sport it as a lunch bag everyday (don't worry, no I don't eat that much :) ). LOL!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Very nice! Sherwood is the dealer that I go to as well. I wonder if your GT-R is the one they have had since last year or not. Another buyer was interested and backed out at the last second to buy a Porsche back in June :p. We should meet up sometime, would love to talk GT-Rs with someone who actually drives one

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Beautiful car!

Please enjoy the absolute hell out of it

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Congrats on the new GTR!

I really enjoyed reading your post, made me feel good about being single. That is quite an effort you put in, you deserve it!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
congrats and welcome

·
Registered
929 Posts
Congrats!

·
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race
353 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I always take a long look at that car when I was in Sherwood Nissan, glad it has an owner!
Do you live in Sherwood Park? Im in Clarkdale.

Sean

1 - 20 of 80 Posts