Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
i had new dodson sensors and control box installed then two weeks later i got a pressure sensor A failure and a line sensor failure.

the problem seems to be intermittant, it comes and goes.

i had the dealership wire the box in and they re-wired as part of tracking down the issue

nissan says pressure sensor A is stuck at 485 mv and does not move off this number while sensor B fluctuates yet the car shifts fine

apparently the mv must fluctuate as the gears change (even slightly) so it cannot be stuck without kicking a code every time the car is started.

the guy who did the transmission work wants the car to diagnose it properly he feels the nissan dealership testing equipment may have been faulty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No in fact the replacement to the dodson sensor (another dodson sensor) is giving us some inline sensor misreadings or something according to my mechanic recently.

the car has been in Vancouver for close to 2 months at his shop as he can only deal with it as he has time and when he can get the problem to re-occur so he can

do more data logging. very frustrating issue especially due to the intermittant nature of it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
apparently a pirated line sensor from a 2017 trans seems to have fixed the issue. the mechanic saw line sensor readings he was not liking.

the wiring was re-done, twice by nissan and once by the mechanic who really knows the GTR he ruled out the wiring and the module.

apparently it was dodson part issues, a faulty sensor and then inconsistent line pressure readings until he put the used line sensor in the valve body.

car running fine now will update if it changes. thanks for all your input folks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a code that came back the other day, about 50-60 days since the last code kiceked. it was Trans 0807 and i simply reset the ECU and it will go away likely for a few more months.

The car was at William Bowering's shop in Vancouver. He and Shep have been working on figuring it out.

Go OEM for all sensor replacement in the trans would be my advice unless Dodson can confirm no more reliability issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
AGREE COMPLETELY!!

I would venture to say that there are far more OEM sensors out there than Dodson ones so of course they're going to fail more. My trans has 138k miles on it before the seal failed causing me to change out the sensors since I was in there. They very next day I got a trans code and now my trans has to come back out to replace a faulty sensor making me wish I would have just left the OEM ones in. Fuck that. I'm not sold on these Dodson sensors. They make good gear and clutch components but whatever entity they are buying and branding these sensors from have very poor QC. As far as I know there is no way to even trace them by production or lot number so it's a crap shoot hoping you don't get a bad one. $150-200 for something they bought in bulk and threw in a Dodson box and won't even admit there's a problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
well the OEM sensors seem to fail more than the Dodson so I'm not sure that is good advice or not, but I think what's important is that as a group we have identified a known issue and Dodson and their dealers stand behind the product to make it right.

it would be typical for things to get brushed off as "one bad sensor" but that's clearly not the case
the OEM sensors do not require an additional mounting of a control module. I have had that wired, then re-wired another two times just to be sure that wasn't the problem (starting with the easiest things first, right?).

that wasn't it so William replaced the wiring loom and line sensor after having my car at the shop for 100 days waiting for the code to come back, he caught a drop in the line sensor so he repalced it and it drove fine so he felt all was good.

i drove maybe 23-30 times in 45 days and a new code came back (P0807). i think the best move is to drop the trans and go all OEM sensors again and pull that module out. the problem doesn't seem to want to go away so what else can you do?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Count me in. Maybe make a new thread? Mine started in February with my Shep 1.5 build installed by ACG
I got this reply from Mike at Dodson yesterday...." I'm not sure if that code relates to the sensor, but clear it and let me know if it reoccurs. There have been a few isolated cases recently in regards to the sensors and we are definitely on top of it. We have pulled our entire stock and comprehensively tested them but in any event, we have changed the design to something a lot more robust and will be arriving with us this week."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Of course they can't replicate the placement of the sensor in the trans and throw hot fluid at it for hours or days to see if a failure occurs (as it did in my case) during their "comprehensive testing". i think they should have pulled whatever stock they had from their old batch of inventory and waited for this new design to arrive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine is going in Monday for a new set of the Dodson plug and play sensors that don't rely on the module. i was thinking of going with a new tranny wiring loom as well I don't really know if after three transmission removals I would feel like taking a chance on a fourth. I will update how it goes ...I found a weird short in my a/v unit the last time I started the car a few weeks ago. Then when using my car today for a quick 5 minute drive the code kicked and i heard static in my passenger side speaker, like a very low staticy morse code type noise that went away after a few seconds. I tried to reset the ecu with my a/p that did nothing, I reset the dodson module in the trunk and that cleared the code and the car drove home fine...strange. I'm wondering if a short in the a/v system could be affecting the B sensor? I know it's a long shot but the timing was uncanny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
^ that sucks because depending on the sensor you likely have to pull the trans. Can you detail the symptoms you had that led to determining the sensor failed? Shep said he stopped using the Dodson sensors and the one he sells is from a different source. I guess time will tell on the longevity of his sensor.
I emailed shep a few weeks ago and he still uses Dodson plug and play sensors, that's coming from Shep himself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine is going in Monday for a new set of the Dodson plug and play sensors that don't rely on the module. i was thinking of going with a new tranny wiring loom as well I don't really know if after three transmission removals I would feel like taking a chance on a fourth. I will update how it goes ...I found a weird short in my a/v unit the last time I started the car a few weeks ago. Then when using my car today for a quick 5 minute drive the code kicked and i heard static in my passenger side speaker, like a very low staticy morse code type noise that went away after a few seconds. I tried to reset the ecu with my a/p that did nothing, I reset the dodson module in the trunk and that cleared the code and the car drove home fine...strange. I'm wondering if a short in the a/v system could be affecting the B sensor? I know it's a long shot but the timing was uncanny.
didn't take too long for P0777 and some shift fork codes to come back, which lately are now just the P0777 code by itself when the trans goes above 80 degrees celsius

·
Registered
126 Posts
Update: i had the transmission temp gauge on the info screen do something weird the other day. it was flickering between 87 and 88 degrees (celsius).

I need it to get to 88 and stay there because it failed numerous times at that specific temperature, causing the car to lose odd gears. At that point i would stop to let it cool down, do an ecu reset, and the car drove fine again until the magic 88 degrees then the code would kick again. i've been in touch with Mike at Dodson since I am getting the P0777 code but that could be anything from dirty fluid (which mine was not), to a faulty solenoid, and of course the clutch pressure sensors that were replaced (new plug and play from Dodson).

This flickering is something I have never noticed for any readouts before. has anyone noticed flickering on their transmission temps with relation to any of the sensor issues that we are all talking about in this thread? i will keep trying to make the trans get to 88 degrees so i can get a solid datalog.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you log the sensor voltage from idle to when it shorts out and trips the code it would show you how healthy the sensor is and whether or not it’s the seal or sensor. I went through two sets of brand new Dodson pressure sensors before switching to what was described to me as a different supplier. No issues since.
So do you know the brand of sensor they used in yours, i'm guessing not as you would have stated. I have read a lot of posts and they say if it's a temperature issue that trips the code then it more than likely is a pressure sensor and not a malfunctioning solenoid. I am just shaking my head that I could have had two different batches of sensors from Dodson (both module and non-module) and both sets are giving me issues, making me wonder if their supplier is producing consistent bad batches. My next visit to the shop would a fourth time addressing this issue. I will try and get the trans temp to rise to a point where I can get a solid datalog in. thanks for the reply AE!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought my 2015 in February last year, drove it fine for 8 months, then I put my sons car seat in the back (passenger side) and that day (probably coincidence) I got a P0747 code. Turned the car off then back on and car was fine. Drove fine and then the code randomly threw itself a couple hundred miles later. Turned the car off then back on and again all was fine. Car was fine for a couple months and then again randomly threw the code, this whole time I was in touch with shep and he had my try to log the issue, which I was finally able to do. He said it could be the pressure sensor (stock), but taking it apart was really the only way to find out. That was back at the beginning of the year, I've only had it throw the code 2 more times (March and then June) and both times restarting it, it goes away. Eventually I'll get the sensors replaced, but doesn't make sense with how random it is. The trans fluid was changed by previous own at 17k miles, currently I'm at 25k.
View attachment 404049
I hear you there, some codes are so random, taking hundreds of days to come back, makes for a difficult datalog. I had mine trip a code at 88 degrees celsius in the trans the other day but now the car doesn't seem to show anything i need to get it on the highway and put it under load as that is where i always get a code, slow urban driving seems to be a non-issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The driving style and/or conditions make no difference in my case. It's strictly temperature related. One the fluid gets hot, I have a sensor that stops working. When it's cold it's fine.
As does mine, 86-88 celsius is where it tends to kick the code and i'm usually on the highway. Once it cools down i can reset the ecu and drive until it gets in that range again.
I'm going to try and do a datalog in the next day or two. Knowing my luck the car will drive fine throughout the temperature range and even with some spirited driving thrown in to boot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts