Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,199 Posts
I've heard that Dodson has had a batch of bad sensors. I can't confirm this for sure though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've heard that Dodson has had a batch of bad sensors. I can't confirm this for sure though.
This absolutely seems to be the case. Its unreasonable to think that so many sensors have gone out due to bad installations...especially when the work is being done by well versed installers such as Shep

Shep has provided a replacement sensor, but my installer is 8hrs away :banghead:

At this point im hesitant to RnR a new sensor if the bad batch is still not identified. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved by Dodson and if there is any Serial Number tracking?

·
Shaolin Shadowboxer
327 Posts
Some EE should develop a way to test these sensors before installation when cold and at operating temps to insure consultancy in signal before shipping. Im sure its possible.

·
Super Moderator
9,199 Posts
This absolutely seems to be the case. Its unreasonable to think that so many sensors have gone out due to bad installations...especially when the work is being done by well versed installers such as Shep

Shep has provided a replacement sensor, but my installer is 8hrs away :banghead:

At this point im hesitant to RnR a new sensor if the bad batch is still not identified. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved by Dodson and if there is any Serial Number tracking?
I would ask Shep.

·
Super Moderator
9,199 Posts
Some EE should develop a way to test these sensors before installation when cold and at operating temps to insure consultancy in signal before shipping. Im sure its possible.
Jacks trans does this from what I know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Both Jacks and Shep test the gearboxes before shipping but I dont think thats the concern. They arent shipping known faulty units.

My sensor worked fine for ~800miles and then developed the voltage blip

To find faulty sensors it seems the sensor would need to go through a series of thermal cycles to validate, but this is surely not a shop level task.

Hopefully with enough noise, Jacks, Shepherds, and other installers have gotten the attention of the engineers at Dodson who should be able to correct the issues

At least the gearbox doesnt need to be dropped, but its hardly an easy DIY to do without a lift

·
Shaolin Shadowboxer
327 Posts
I was just referring to just the sensors new and even after a perceived failure. Im still troubleshooting my issue so it would be nice to be able to run a test at the shop to verify what the logs show.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Argh I'm just coming off a fresh engine build and Shep Stage 2.5 trans upgrade -- builder is getting ready to fire 'er up --- but with the Dodson sensors/module i'm trying to figure out if installing the module or adjusting the map inputs instead. I'd much prefer to adjust within the CobbAP.

post-367698-0-63230000-1602592936.jpg

The CobbAP was on the car when I bought it - not sure if it has TCM tuning with it or not. May I ask for the screen capture above -- is that the Map settings within Cobb Accessport Manager software downloaded to the laptop? Or its a screen from within the Cobb AP handheld unit itself?

Any detailed help how to get to those map settings to make the trans adjustment for Dodson sensors would be appreciated! (or wiring diagram on the Dodson module into the GTR would be a huge help!)

I have the module so if i could skip the hassle and wire it in real quick get the car driving to come home from the engine builders (2.5hr drive) that would be ideal. I could get the TCM trans tuning going at a later point. Not gonna be driving the car hard for first 1000 miles anyways!

Or do I also need the TCM tuning option on the CobbAP in order to get to transmission to "relearn" mode for the updated Shep 2.5 and brand new Dodson sensors with it?

This car is really too much sometimes lol! Really hope my brand new Dodson sensors aren't faulty at the get go (or in the first 800 miles either) :headshake: I know it will be worth it in the end but i unloaded this bad boy in vid link to go at a GTR and now the GTR has been in build mode for the better part of a year not long after I got it. (ha, the Scrambler took nearly as long to frame off rebuild!)

So they go.... :doh:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Knowing the current issues with faulty sensors, I would ask your builder to install the module...this way if there is any long term issue, your builder AND Shep will stand behind their product.

The module is better in the long run anyway because it has higher resolution, and since you have already purchased the unit, its only 3 wires to piggyback into the TCM. If you hadnt already paid for the module MAYBE you could debate not doing it, but the only reason to not do it is the module cost.

Your builder should include wiring this in the labor to R&R a Shep trans, but if not, at MOST its 1hr labor....thats cheap insurance compared to the labor it will be to swap out faulty sensors.

Just do it right the 1st time!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thank you Fauxshow but how does it get wired in? There's 5 wires that I counted if I recall correctly?

Shop won't put it in they have no clue and are lazy fuqs. They build the engine and put the trans back in so I'm happy with that.

I will go there and wire it in myself am a proficient solderer -- but what color wire to what color wire that's all I need!!

Anybody have a pic of it worked hook a bro up!?!

🙏🙈🙏

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thank you Fauxshow but how does it get wired in? There's 5 wires that I counted if I recall correctly?

Shop won't put it in they have no clue and are lazy fuqs. They build the engine and put the trans back in so I'm happy with that.

I will go there and wire it in myself am a proficient solderer -- but what color wire to what color wire that's all I need!!

Anybody have a pic of it worked hook a bro up!?!
Just contact Dodson directly

·
Registered
140 Posts
Installed the module and did relearn with the Cobb TCM after resetting capacities and touch points to 0.

Seems good to go for now.. still doing break-in for pistons, rods, and trans so will be a bit before I can really open it up. Made the trip home from shop in Toledo about two hrs and also hit up a couple shows since.

Got a P0181 (unrelated) fuel temp sensor but seems all good now not sure why that flagged but it sat with nearly year old fuel/20% ethanol so maybe the sensor is on its way out.

Other than that seems all good since the build finally nice to get some seat time!!! 🚀🚀🚀

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a code that came back the other day, about 50-60 days since the last code kiceked. it was Trans 0807 and i simply reset the ECU and it will go away likely for a few more months.

The car was at William Bowering's shop in Vancouver. He and Shep have been working on figuring it out.

Go OEM for all sensor replacement in the trans would be my advice unless Dodson can confirm no more reliability issues.

·
Shaolin Shadowboxer
327 Posts
I’m sure if there was a way to source the OEM sensors Dodson wouldn’t have gone through the trouble of marketing and selling their dodgy ones. I found what looks to be physically the same sensor in a Nissan CVT transmission but have no way of knowing it’s compatibility. Might be the same one Dodson sells that has to be programmed. Who knows?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a code that came back the other day, about 50-60 days since the last code kiceked. it was Trans 0807 and i simply reset the ECU and it will go away likely for a few more months.

The car was at William Bowering's shop in Vancouver. He and Shep have been working on figuring it out but it seems like the guys at Dodson have given up trying to assist.

Go OEM for all sensor replacement in the trans would be my advice for ALL!!!! especially with others having issues since Dodson sensors were installed.
well the OEM sensors seem to fail more than the Dodson so I'm not sure that is good advice or not, but I think what's important is that as a group we have identified a known issue and Dodson and their dealers stand behind the product to make it right.

it would be typical for things to get brushed off as "one bad sensor" but that's clearly not the case

·
Shaolin Shadowboxer
327 Posts
I would venture to say that there are far more OEM sensors out there than Dodson ones so of course they’re going to fail more. My trans has 138k miles on it before the seal failed causing me to change out the sensors since I was in there. They very next day I got a trans code and now my trans has to come back out to replace a faulty sensor making me wish I would have just left the OEM ones in. Fuck that. I’m not sold on these Dodson sensors. They make good gear and clutch components but whatever entity they are buying and branding these sensors from have very poor QC. As far as I know there is no way to even trace them by production or lot number so it’s a crap shoot hoping you don’t get a bad one. $150-200 for something they bought in bulk and threw in a Dodson box and won’t even admit there’s a problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would venture to say that there are far more OEM sensors out there than Dodson ones so of course they're going to fail more. My trans has 138k miles on it before the seal failed causing me to change out the sensors since I was in there. They very next day I got a trans code and now my trans has to come back out to replace a faulty sensor making me wish I would have just left the OEM ones in. Fuck that. I'm not sold on these Dodson sensors. They make good gear and clutch components but whatever entity they are buying and branding these sensors from have very poor QC. As far as I know there is no way to even trace them by production or lot number so it's a crap shoot hoping you don't get a bad one. $150-200 for something they bought in bulk and threw in a Dodson box and won't even admit there's a problem.
Its a fair point. I tend to think this is a batch issue as most customers of Dodson sensors dating back over 10yrs now are overwhelmingly happy. It seems the issues have spawned in the last year or so based on forum feedback, etc...To me that would seem like a batch issue. There are many complaints of brand new Nissan gearboxes going out in under 10k miles so they are no Saint

Shops would have stopped selling these upgrades years ago if there were habitual failures that, while in most cases are easy to fix, are sometimes very labor intensive.

Anyway, it doesnt really matter but collectively together we stand a better chance at getting these issues resolved.

·
Super Moderator
9,199 Posts
And who covers the trans re and re and the trans repair?...................................

21 - 40 of 80 Posts