Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only one I can find isn’t working for me. Wife got me a carbon one for Christmas and the company says it’s a simple twist off installation but for the life of me I can’t get it and im afraid I’m gonna mangle something

·
Registered
303 Posts
well start with the panel in the back section where the e brake is. gently pull it upwards.

it is pretty straightforward it will be hard to destroy anything as long as you pull upwards.

will post pics later as for the cover itself
but hey, cool wife

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol man it’s not budging at all. I’ve done them on other cars and it just sorta pops off. This thing isn’t budging

she also got me the remote start with the app

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently used the T-Rex GTR-Pro kit installation and the back-up camera install guides (my wife bought me a Grom Vline kit + back-up cam for Christmas)...great step-by-step instructions with pics to completely remove the center console, cup holder/arm rest, etc. Here's to wives supporting our mod addictions!

·
Registered
2009 Nissan GT-R
35 Posts
Found this from an old post, not taking credit just reposting:

This is the process to remove the handbrake handle cover:

1. Slide down boot cover
2. Flathead screwdriver to the top side, bottom most lip of leather
  • You will want to hit the screwdriver decently hard with the mallet all across the top side lip
  • The cover will only move a fraction of an inch before it puts too much pressure on the retaining clip and it will no longer move forward. This clip cannot be removed until after the cover is off which will not matter as it does not need to be removed.
3. Put a pick in the front end where the handbrake button is now submerged within the leather. Work the pick around the entire area to get the inner rubber that actually makes up the cover up and over the retaining clip lip.
- In the attached pictures you will see mine is all jacked up because I kept pulling on it with needle nose pliers thinking it would come out. It does not.
4. Put a flat head screwdriver in the top side of the back of the cover underneath the plastic and pull up while using the pick to continuously aid the rubber in making it over the retaining clip.
  • The plastic is more durable than you may think and will not deform or crack even with quite a bit of pressure pulling up.
  • I also put another flat head screwdriver on the passenger side of the handbrake assembly since it is open but it did not seem to help at all.
5. Once the flat head screwdriver in the back yields a good enough result of getting the inner rubber liner over the retaining clip, twist and pull the handbrake cover off of the assembly.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Should pop right off. Is it cold by any chance in your neck of the woods ? Can try warming the car up if it is.

What year?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Found this from an old post, not taking credit just reposting:

This is the process to remove the handbrake handle cover:

1. Slide down boot cover
2. Flathead screwdriver to the top side, bottom most lip of leather
  • You will want to hit the screwdriver decently hard with the mallet all across the top side lip
  • The cover will only move a fraction of an inch before it puts too much pressure on the retaining clip and it will no longer move forward. This clip cannot be removed until after the cover is off which will not matter as it does not need to be removed.
3. Put a pick in the front end where the handbrake button is now submerged within the leather. Work the pick around the entire area to get the inner rubber that actually makes up the cover up and over the retaining clip lip.
- In the attached pictures you will see mine is all jacked up because I kept pulling on it with needle nose pliers thinking it would come out. It does not.
4. Put a flat head screwdriver in the top side of the back of the cover underneath the plastic and pull up while using the pick to continuously aid the rubber in making it over the retaining clip.
  • The plastic is more durable than you may think and will not deform or crack even with quite a bit of pressure pulling up.
  • I also put another flat head screwdriver on the passenger side of the handbrake assembly since it is open but it did not seem to help at all.
5. Once the flat head screwdriver in the back yields a good enough result of getting the inner rubber liner over the retaining clip, twist and pull the handbrake cover off of the assembly.
This was written up by me. I made my own carbon one because the (seemingly) only manufacturer of one wouldn’t sell me one lol. Which part are you stuck on/is it not moving? From the very start or mid?
I received the same instructions about twisting it off but it 100% does NOT twist off. I even tried a pipe wrench to twist it and it wouldn’t budge. It’s not a cylindrical inner; it’s an oval. It won’t twist at all until the very end.
Most of the retention is a metal lip on the front that sits in a track-like cut out in the handbrake itself.
the construction of it is 100% rubber covered in leather. You won’t hurt the handbrake by forcing it. Worst you can do is damage the leather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This was written up by me. I made my own carbon one because the (seemingly) only manufacturer of one wouldn’t sell me one lol. Which part are you stuck on/is it not moving? From the very start or mid?
I received the same instructions about twisting it off but it 100% does NOT twist off. I even tried a pipe wrench to twist it and it wouldn’t budge. It’s not a cylindrical inner; it’s an oval. It won’t twist at all until the very end.
Most of the retention is a metal lip on the front that sits in a track-like cut out in the handbrake itself.
the construction of it is 100% rubber covered in leather. You won’t hurt the handbrake by forcing it. Worst you can do is damage the leather.
I haven’t gotten very far at all. I’ve got it to where the cover is up over the button but it won’t budge past there. I’ve tried trying to pry the inside out to find a lip that’s holding it but nothing is budging

but yea, in no way does it just twist or pull off
Shoe Hood Light Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
333 Posts
Interesting that it doesn’t come off. I can see you’re putting pressure because of the wrinkles on the leather. There’s nothing else holding it except friction. There is one more piece of metal that is part of the metal lip you had to get the rubber over. It holds it in place when pulling the OEM off and doesn’t pose a real issue until putting the new one on.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive design Bumper

Automotive design Gadget Carbon Font Auto part

If you don’t have to send your OEM one back, you could always cut it off. It’s 100% rubber wrapped in leather so a box cutter goes right through it (I found out…)
But I would still try to two screwdriver method of prying up from the back with one and out from the passenger side with another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts