Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided today was the day that I would install my downpipes.

I got them off, but broke a few bolts (two per side). I bought my car used with a few mods, so I'm assuming the previous owner, had downpipes prior, and removed them (noise, or lack of tune, whatever), and he (or whoever did it) cross threaded most the bolts.

Not a big deal, sucks, but whatever. Just wanted to rant to feel better about it lol.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
From what i understand the threads on the stud are not actually cross threaded, the damage is caused by the nuts which are "pinch nuts" a locking nut you could say.This occurs apparently when backing off the nuts. This information came from another post and was written by a vendor/installer.

· Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
When you break a Supra's mod cherry these are the first things to go + break often.
Happens with every car, more likely when you pile on age and miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
821 Posts
You have to really soak the bolts to avoid breaking anything. I got really lucky and worked with a local guy who had done several DP installs and has yet to break a stud.

· gta88ws6
834 Posts
Soak them overnight prior to the job.

Also have a set of tap and dies and even some heli coils on hand.

Also got to the auto parts store and pick up some exh studs and bolts. No need to buy expensive Nissan ones when the generic ones made of same material will do.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW

· Registered
5,219 Posts
From what i understand the threads on the stud are not actually cross threaded, the damage is caused by the nuts which are "pinch nuts" a locking nut you could say.This occurs apparently when backing off the nuts. This information came from another post and was written by a vendor/installer.
Correct.

An easy way to mitigate issues with broken studs is to:
1. Soak the parts with PB Blaster or something similar overnight
2. Heat the studs and nuts with a torch immediately prior to removal

· Registered
819 Posts
So what's the trick to getting the broken studs out without causing thread damage?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I ended up breaking two on one side. Fortunately enough, it was the bottom two on the passenger side. I was able to use a chisel and literally chisel them out (they broke UNEVEN, so there was a little lip on each end), so I hit them to turn them left, and viola, they came out.

Then I just bought bolts and stuck them in place instead of studs.

So far so good, no exhaust leaks, and surprisingly doesn't have any drone to it. Pretty happy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.