Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so fi you couldn't choose AMS what would be your second choice? I don't have the budget for them right now, but car is in the shop so install is free....I need second best and a great price, who recommends what?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Can someone elaborate on what significant differences there are between the AMS and other manufacturer DPs. The pipes themselves are so short and without any real bends that I'm a bit skeptical that there would be much of a difference at all between the various brands, especially in light of the broad price differences among these brands. $1200 for non-catted DPs sounds like we are just paying a major GTR tax. I realize it is an exclusive low volume car but this is really a $300-500 set of pipes right? I'm in the market for DPs, and if consensus is that the (thick wall, thick flange) AMS DPs are the best, I guess that's the route I'll take. Thoughts anyone?

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
I went w/ AMS bc they are thicker and the sound didn't increase much. There is a lot of heat @ that area. I wanted to be sure, my DP would not have any stress problems. The AMS are priced high, I lucked out and bought them used. If you want DP that are close to AMS. I would check out Titek's DP, the price is $999 with a 90mm cast bellmouth. http://store.sp-power.com/product/detail/id/4105

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
All Downpipes should make the same HP. I just got the lower price one and to reduce heat, I had it coated by swain tech.

·
Registered
838 Posts
All Downpipes should make the same HP. I just got the lower price one and to reduce heat, I had it coated by swain tech.
AHHHHHHH Goonthree! That's how your beating me at the track all the time! (*Need to get me some swain tech*)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
K-MAN, if you keep it up, I will have to beat you again tonight. K-MAN has the AMS and no that is not why I am faster. It is because K-MAN is a big guy!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Another +1 for AAM, but decat, not catted. Pair them with the Cobb catted midpipe.

·
R32 Member
200 Posts
Can someone elaborate on what significant differences there are between the AMS and other manufacturer DPs. The pipes themselves are so short and without any real bends that I'm a bit skeptical that there would be much of a difference at all between the various brands, especially in light of the broad price differences among these brands. $1200 for non-catted DPs sounds like we are just paying a major GTR tax. I realize it is an exclusive low volume car but this is really a $300-500 set of pipes right? I'm in the market for DPs, and if consensus is that the (thick wall, thick flange) AMS DPs are the best, I guess that's the route I'll take. Thoughts anyone?
The biggest difference, as I'm sure you have noticed, is that that our downpipes are cast. We wanted to cast the downpipes for a few reasons but most important is because of the heat that these pipes will see. With cast downpipes you never have to worry about it cracking, especially at the turbo outlet. Casting also gives our downpipes the added benefit of having the smoothest inlet and outlet on the market, this ensures there is no lip for the exhaust gases to have to deal with at the turbo exit. Every set of downpipes fits just like the factory downpipes and will hold up just as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i would have gone with ams dp's had they been a few hundred $ less ;) was hoping to find some used, but the few times they came up on nagtroc i missed out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Too bad we couldn't do a group buy on AMS catless DPs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish I could afford AMS DP's also, ...
I am not trying to single out anyone in this thread but I am honestly shocked at some of the price comments.

These are $95k cars (min ~$65k for a used one) and owners are worried about a few hundred dollars? Wow. Perhaps some owners are in WAY over their heads?

Back on-topic; I will be installing AMS DPs on my GT-R.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am not trying to single out anyone in this thread but I am honestly shocked at some of the price comments.

These are $95k cars (min ~$65k for a used one) and owners are worried about a few hundred dollars? Wow. Perhaps some owners are in WAY over their heads?

I'm getting my popcorn ready for this one.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My parents bought mine for me in the spring, when I graduated high school. Its tough to save up for such expensive gear working at home depot. Not to mention, your mom has very expensive taste in loungerie, oh and you need to buy some milk on your way home, I drank the last of it. Have a nice day

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

Then why don't you pay the price difference for me, it's only a few hundred dollars, don't worry about it, it's nothing.
PM me for my paypal info.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.