Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably be going there this coming Tuesday (May 17th, 2022) at Great Lakes Drag-Strip. Gates open at 5pm
Weather permitting of course. Want to see if everything is running right, and check out the Omega 12s and Shep 1K.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'll probably be going there this coming Tuesday (May 17th, 2022) at Great Lakes Drag-Strip. Gates open at 5pm
Weather permitting of course. Want to see if everything is running right, and check out the Omega 12s and Shep 1K.

Alexd
It was far from a perfect day, but I did find out some things, mainly that I need to work on my trans...engine power is more than adequate.

Track was slippery, and it began to drizzle later, but I got a few runs in. 4100 Launch doesn't cut it at over 1000 WHP on MPS 4S. I tried reducing to 3500 then 3000; it got better but still breaking loose. The 4100 launch skipped and hopped, and I got off it right away. It pulled a AWD warning light and C1704/C1705/C1706/C1707 transmission codes. Last run before the rainfall was without a launch; car still gets snaky in 2 and 3rd gear, and I had to back off...I need to work on this.

By the way, if you ask for "Clocks Off" it costs an extra $10 but you wiz through Tech inspections and likely won't be kicked out for exceeding IHRA rules...not that I can prove this today, with my 20 second/60 MPH quarter mile times... :(

Alexd

Attachments

Reactions: droptopp

·
Registered
606 Posts
Brave to even attempt a 1,000whp launch with 4S's...even on a prepped track, that's a tall order for those tires. Always fun to get out and try tho.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
What were your launch parameters and BOTL?

Did you air down the tires at all?

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What were your launch parameters and BOTL?

Did you air down the tires at all?
BOTL was always zero...I have MAPs for 2/4/6 but what would be the point given what I was seeing? What was bothering me more though was the fact that on my last non-launch, in either 2nd or 3rd gear...probably second, the car started to "waver" back and forth in steering under full power. I'm assuming now that THAT wasn't tire slippage, but something with the ETS or related, and I don't have experience here. My Alpha 9 previous set-up launched fine at 3800on MPSS, and was straight as an arrow down the strip, like it was riding on rails...completely contrasted to yesterday.

I set my tire pressures at 22 psi...that has always worked for me in the past; generally get 1.6x
60' time.

Alexd

Reactions: L.L. and droptopp

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Fun stuff - even on wastegate you’ve got enough to blow those tires off pretty easy.

Can always make the move to motec - huge difference in traction control, but if you need to connect to a yearly computer for a sticker, will be easier to just grab some tires to swap too. I hate the latter as well lol.

And $10 seems like a bargain ;)

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
BOTL was always zero...I have MAPs for 2/4/6 but what would be the point given what I was seeing? What was bothering me more though was the fact that on my last non-launch, in either 2nd or 3rd gear...probably second, the car started to "waver" back and forth in steering under full power. I'm assuming now that THAT wasn't tire slippage, but something with the ETS or related, and I don't have experience here. My Alpha 9 previous set-up launched fine at 3800on MPSS, and was straight as an arrow done the strip, like it was riding on rails...completely contrasted to yesterday.

I set my tire pressures at 22 psi...that has always worked for me in the past; generally get 1.6x
60' time.

Alexd
I was just curious more than anything else. My car doesn't like 4100rpm launches either. I've had better luck with some BOTL at 3200-3300rpm than 4100rpm with zero BOTL. Do the Omega12s generate boost much earlier than the Alpha9s?

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fun stuff - even on wastegate you’ve got enough to blow those tires off pretty easy.

Can always make the move to motec - huge difference in traction control, but if you need to connect to a yearly computer for a sticker, will be easier to just grab some tires to swap too. I hate the latter as well lol.

And $10 seems like a bargain ;)
Thanks!
At the moment, I have another workaround for the annoying Illinois emissions. As you know, Motec alone prevents the ALDL test from working.

Alexd

Reactions: droptopp

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was just curious more than anything else. My car doesn't like 4100rpm launches either. I've had better luck with some BOTL at 3200-3300rpm than 4100rpm with zero BOTL. Do the Omega12s generate boost much earlier than the Alpha9s?
Absolutely!
My stock car, let's call it "FBO" but with stock DPs and 100 octane (604 HP), had slightly MORE low end and mid-range than the Alpha 9 set-up (891) HP. The Omega 12 turbos made that all back up, making the car more fun to drive sedately on the streets. That said...until I get this sorted out, I'm afraid to punch the throttle for more than a few seconds, and I really want to see what full power does.
I still run 100 octane,by the way, not Flex-Fuel; which is the way it has stayed for all three stages on my car ( "FBO," Alpha 9, Omega 12)

Alexd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts