Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my GT-R today and drove her home. The driver side blind spot is going to be a real challange changing lanes to the left , as I like to do the head turn to check before a left lane change. It seems this will not cut it and I will have to rely only on the mirrors to change lanes to the left. My question is for you seasoned GT-R drivers to you check your rear view mirror first and then second your side mirror on the outside and then change lanes left ? I know it seems like a basic question, but any help would be appreciated and save a GT-R from an early date with the junk yard. Other than this one issue this car is AWESOME !

·
Registered
644 Posts
I learned a very useful method for eliminating blind spots at the Forged Performance VIR Track day last year. During one of the classes the instructor explained that if you move your head all the way to the left so that your temple is almost touching the window and you adjust the left side view mirror so you only see a hint of the left rear quarter panel and then you crank your head all the way to the right (ear almost on shoulder) and adjust the right mirror so you only see a hint of the right rear fender and adjust the rear view mirror to look directly out the back of the car. When you do this as cars leave the rear view mirror, depending on what side of the car they're approaching from you'll see the car appear in the side view mirror and when they leave the side view mirror the car will appear in the corner of your eye. Takes some getting used to but eliminates blind spots.

Hope this helps.

·
I'm everywhere.
857 Posts
best way is to pass someone, then switch lanes in front of them
that way you know you're in the clear! hahah

but seriously, kumaik's advice is great. I use the same method by adjusting mirrors to where you can only see a hint of your rear quarter panel. definitely helps a lot

·
Registered
883 Posts
^I did the same thing Kumaik recommends a while back and although it took a few drives to get used to it does help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have Camaro and I think the blind spot is even worse than the GTR, but I adjust the mirrors where I can just barley see the side of the car, if my head is almost touching the window.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
I learned a very useful method for eliminating blind spots at the Forged Performance VIR Track day last year. During one of the classes the instructor explained that if you move your head all the way to the left so that your temple is almost touching the window and you adjust the left side view mirror so you only see a hint of the left rear quarter panel and then you crank your head all the way to the right (ear almost on shoulder) and adjust the right mirror so you only see a hint of the right rear fender and adjust the rear view mirror to look directly out the back of the car. When you do this as cars leave the rear view mirror, depending on what side of the car they're approaching from you'll see the car appear in the side view mirror and when they leave the side view mirror the car will appear in the corner of your eye. Takes some getting used to but eliminates blind spots.

Hope this helps.
+1. This is commonly taught at track events, and it works. Most ppl don't adjust their side view mirrors out nearly enough. That said, I do still take a quick peek over my shoulder as insurance.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Simple go to auto zone ask where they keep the blind spot mirrors an buy the wedged ones. put them in the corners of mirrors near glass with the back of wedge facing glass . problem solved (an it doesn't look bad) but make sure you get small size wedge ones other ones are kinda big to me

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
switching lanes can be really dangerous especially at high speeds

2 weeks ago almost got in an accident.. 1am no cars behind me and couple seconds later wanted to switch to the right lane and a car started honking out of nowhere lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
Simple go to auto zone ask where they keep the blind spot mirrors an buy the wedged ones. put them in the corners of mirrors near glass with the back of wedge facing glass . problem solved (an it doesn't look bad) but make sure you get small size wedge ones other ones are kinda big to me
I am not sure where to mount or what the mirror looks like mounted . Could you post up a pic?
Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
As others have said before with proper mirror adjustments there should be no blind spot.....you should not be able to see any part of your vehicle in your mirror.....moving your head to the left and right to cover the range of the mirror was taught to me at an HPDE event....great info....

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I stick a small circular concave mirror on each side mirror, at the lower far corner. Works great and also good for parallel parking to see the curb.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Sorry I meant convex mirror.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts