Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone drive their GT-R in this weather? I drove to the Huskies Basketball Game from Lakewood, South Tacoma without any problems. I even drove up the huge hills at NewCastle to pick my brother up w/o any problems. I saw a ton of cars/trucks/SUV/Buses/Semi in the ditch or the side of the road though. I figure I take Mizuno advice and try the car in all weather conditions as he said it was built for. Anytime, Anywhere.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I drove a bit but not much yesterday. I felt confident in my car but didn't trust the others around me. Were you running OEM tires?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I just left my house I was thinking I should of brought my camera. Yes, I was running the oem Bridgestones. I was a little worried about that, but like I said, no problems. Though driving over the uneven ice made the ride really bumpy. On the freeway people where driving around 30MPH, I was cruising at 60MPH in what was left of the far left lane. I'm sure that wasn't the smartest thing to do especially driving that close to the concrete barrier, and I'm sure people was thinking I was a maniac driving at that speed. Like MPRSEV said, the only thing that was making me really nervous is not trusting the other cars around me. Which a lot of them were drifting left to right. I'm sure for Xchouderx our weather is nothing to him.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i wanted to try it out but the first day of snow we quickly got about 8 inches so clearence became a problem. kind of glad i didn't take it now based on how freaking nasty my jeep looks after driving around in this crap for a few days. also my cul de sac is now super bumpy as pockets of snow begin to melt. probably wouldn't be a pleasant ride in the gtr.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Was it heavy snow? I am glad to hear you were fine driving at 60 mph on extreme summer tires. I have gone out in the snow in the NE to test out the gtr for kicks. I had the Dunlop all seasons on at the time and I had traction issues, sounds like you had a lot of snow, just glad the gtr performed well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was it heavy snow? I am glad to hear you were fine driving at 60 mph on extreme summer tires.
Are you kidding me? I'm glad to hear no one was hurt. All the traction control, ABS, and AWD in the world isn't going to help you stop on ice/snow with summer tires. You're lucky none of those other cars drifted into your lane. No grip to evade + no grip to stop = GT-R pancake.

I was tempted to try the GT-R (cold weather package) in the snow, but I came down with a sudden case of common sense. Without winter tires (and about 2 more inches of clearance) I really doubt it would have made it very far. My WRX is winter prepped and I have significant winter driving experience - it's like a little blue tank in the snow - but no matter how good your car may or may not be, you still need to drive sensibly. Doubly so around here because of the sheer number of morons... I'm talking "putting chains on the rear wheels of a front-wheel-drive car" morons. Or these geniuses:

http://www.youtube.c...v=o9-BK-HT2HI#!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I drove mine around a bit, and when the snow is fresh and not icy or slushy, its fine. The most trouble I had was with ground clearance, especially when it became piled up in spots and slushy. Slush + no ground clearance = I almost got stuck. But overall it performs well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Snow is melting and much quicker than anticipated which is a good thing.

On a side note it looks like we have some new Seattle GTRs?
I'm already looking forward to a drive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Snow is melting and much quicker than anticipated which is a good thing.

On a side note it looks like we have some new Seattle GTRs?
I'm already looking forward to a drive.
I would like to check out your Gotboot Upper IC and Tial BOVs. I am contemplating the same setup. Are you going to the XXX meet next Saturday?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran mine around the neighborhood, but my front splitter was acting like a snow plow so I called it a day.
I stayed off the small side roads and luckily I didn't encounter any build up until I got close to my brother's house, but at least he had the common sense to walk and meet me at the main road so I wouldn't haven't a problem on his street.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
A winter beater may save all that subject GT-Rs to serious winter conditions a lot of potential heartache--not to mention better retain value of your cars.

Just sayin'...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.