Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Cousin asked me to drop him off at the airport yesterday morning so I went to pick him up from his workplace. Since I could basically walk to his workplace and run/bike to my own workplace in the mornings, I drove him in his own car and then kept his car for the weekend. His is a 6 spd manual. My impressions:

-The interior is not as high quality as the older m3's were. The e46 and even the e36 felt like expensive cars- this doesn't. I do like the seats and the headliner. Other than that, I prefer my GT-R's interior.
-I like the gearbox, but disliked the long throws and the ton of clutch play. Once you get used to it, shifting is pretty smooth- I'd go with a short shift kit and adjust the clutch if it were my car.
-Where the hell is the power? I mean really- where is it? This is what an m3 has become? Even at redline (which sounded great), there just isn't any "oomph". He does have exhaust/intake/some pulley mod and upgraded wheels with stickier tires.
-I like the looks of the car, understated but you know it's something different. It's nothing special thou, I had it parked next to a 335is in the garage and it was tough to tell the difference.
-The car handles well, I have always loved this about M3's and this hasn't changed. It seems much heavier than my e36 m3, but that is expected. It feels lighter than my GT-R, but the confidence I have in the GT-R isn't there with the M3. I realize that I've only been driving it a few hours.

I got into it on the way home last night with a 5.0 on the highway. It wasn't pretty, the 5.0 pulled away at highway speeds consistently. Kind of embarrassing really, I wished I was in the GT-R.

He's looking to supercharge or turbo it, I'm unsure of the potential but think it would make the car much more exciting.

·
Registered
292 Posts
-The interior is not as high quality as the older m3's were. The e46 and even the e36 felt like expensive cars- this doesn't. I do like the seats and the headliner. Other than that, I prefer my GT-R's interior.
Really? I have a E90 BMW (335) and it seems to have a much nicer interior. The "leather" is way nicer feeling.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Any car with less than 450 hp and about the same weight as a GTR, you probably feel they are slow. It's not the M3 that isn't fast. =)

I drove my friend's Evo IV with less than 400 hp, and the car feels faster than the GTR....so it's all relative.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For clarification:

When I purchased my e36 in 1999, the car felt much nicer and refined then it's competition. I felt like I was driving something special. The same goes for the e46, they felt like the best in the industry. While the e92's interior is nicer than the former two models, it doesn't feel like anything special compared to AMG's, S4's, etc. Yes, the leather in the M3 is nicer than in my GT-R- but I prefer the GT-R's interior overall. The ergonomics, the comfort of the seats, the electronics.

·
Registered
292 Posts
For clarification:

When I purchased my e36 in 1999, the car felt much nicer and refined then it's competition. I felt like I was driving something special. The same goes for the e46, they felt like the best in the industry. While the e92's interior is nicer than the former two models, it doesn't feel like anything special compared to AMG's, S4's, etc. Yes, the leather in the M3 is nicer than in my GT-R- but I prefer the GT-R's interior overall. The ergonomics, the comfort of the seats, the electronics.
I agree that BMW isn't top tier when it comes to interior. I do like the seats in the GTR more. Plus the nav is better, I like how it tells me the number of my destination when I get there. The ipod interface is better. Though I do miss the iDrive on the BMW. It was seriously super easy to use while driving without having to lean over and mess with the touch screen. I just left my hand naturally on the center console and could use the selector wheel.

Also on the BMW, even though its a 07, I have auto lights/wipers (my gtr is a 09), sunroof, driver seat profiles based on transponder, outside temperature was always shown (small annoyance with the GTR I either get MPH or temp), way better interior sound dampening, easily accesible aux jack, and a few other small things. Plus the BMW has the cool added feature of breaking every month.

That being said, I wouldn't trade in my GTR for any BMW

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both a gtr and an e92(DD), and you sir are high the interior is much nicer than the gtr. The leather is nice and I love my i drive oh and the nav is better. I prefer the gtr because it's a monster, but the m3 was and is a fast car before the r35 came. The m3 is a beautiful car and the dual exhaust and big wheel arches make it easily recognizable. All that being said, I still love my spaceship more.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's just your opinion, I have a hard time distinguishing the m3 from a 335is and the interior looks just like the one in my fiancees 2008 325i. The interface isn't that great and the knobs and dials are placed in locations that aren't user friendly. To each his own.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah I disagree with OP. We jumped from a E92 M3 to a GT-R and the M3 interior was much nicer. M3 is pretty quick but lacks torque...all the power is in the higher power band. It is a great track car but not so much for drag. I do agree it is abit more plush then the older M3 models but in a good way.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's just your opinion, I have a hard time distinguishing the m3 from a 335is and the interior looks just like the one in my fiancees 2008 325i. The interface isn't that great and the knobs and dials are placed in locations that aren't user friendly. To each his own.
Well the M3 has vented fenders, camel hump on the hood, quad exhausts, different rear and front bumper, wheels, me personally i can easily distinguish a M3 from a 335is.. I agree with the knobs and dials being in weird places though, their leather is top notch imo, but everything else is so retro and plain... some people prefer that though..

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
I agree about the e92 body isn't that different from m edition to a regular 3 series. I loved my e46 m3! There was definatley a difference between an e46 m3 and regular 3 series. The e46 m3 looked like a wide body kit. The e92 well just not that different. I auctually went to trade my e46 in for the e92 and I didn't think it was faster at all. Very disappointed. My m3 was totaled by a ducatti that rear ended me going over 100mph. So I ended up getting a b7 Audi s4 manual. I think the interior was way better in the Audi than the m3. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
M3 is pretty quick but lacks torque...all the power is in the higher power band.
But it has a 8400 rpm redline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.