Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Like a BOSS
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After breaking the spline part of my left rear CV joint at the dragstrip about 3 weeks ago I gave Shep a call to place an order for the larger DSS axles and stronger stubs. I received the kit last week and installed it this past weekend.

After removing the rear wheel/housing assemblies and stock axles I removed the stubs located in the rear diff by knocking them out with a slide hammer (a snap ring holds the stubs in place).

Using a large 2 jaw gear puller I removed the ABS rings from the stock stubs. I then pressed the ABS rings onto the new DSS stubs and knocked them back into the rear diff on each side.

I decided to bolt the wheel hub/housing assembly back in place first, then I unbolted the CV joint/spline part from the DSS axles, and slid the CV joint/spline part into each wheel hub/bearing assembly. Unfortunately one of the bolts I removed was cross threaded from DSS, so I had to go get a replacement bolt which was not easy to find since it was a M10 socket head type bolt.

Now with the 2 CV joint ends in place I simply had to bolt the larger DSS axles in place at the recommended 57 ft lbs.

So far everything seems to be working ok and I have not noticed any difference on the road. Hopefully these new parts will give me one less thing to worry about when launching the car at the dragstrip.

·
Like a BOSS
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would still like to repair my left rear stock axle. Most people break the axle shaft and not the CV joint/spline like I did.

So... if anyone has a broken left rear stock axle laying around please send me a PM. Thanks!

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles! What led you to make a decision on what to risk - the diff v. the axles?

·
Like a BOSS
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about the troubles! What led you to make a decision on what to risk - the diff v. the axles?
I was launching it hard (5800 rpm) and was not surprised when it happened. I've got a brace on my diff, so I hope it can handle the job of keep the case in one piece. Normally when I break a stock part I will spend money on upgrading it if a viable option is available.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow launching @ 5800rpm is that with or without BOTL

Nice write up by the way.

·
Banned
746 Posts
Mike, you are lucky! When my axle stub broke it got the lip of the diff housing and therefore the seals for it. I had to send mine back to Shep to figure out what to do to repair it!

·
Vendor
642 Posts
DSS axles are a good safety measure, we usually have them in stock at Titan

·
Registered
500 Posts
About 3 hours if everything goes smooth. My new stubs needed some extra coercing to get back into the trans so I had to chill them in the freezer and go out to buy a bigger sledgehammer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seriously?

I have a 8 or 10 pound slide hammer, no idea if I'll be comfortable beating on them with a sledge?

Thanks for the response. Any tips from the school of hard knocks? This will actually be the first work I've ever done on my GTR, I haven't even changed her oil yet. (plenty of Toyota experience)

About 3 hours if everything goes smooth. My new stubs needed some extra coercing to get back into the trans so I had to chill them in the freezer and go out to buy a bigger sledgehammer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts