Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
1,261 Posts

One of the biggest complaints we have heard regarding the GT-R was the lack of luxury refinements the car has. Unfortunately, these "luxuries" were not just limited to the interior, as the the GT-R's OEM headlamps have been plagued with similar distaste from owners. In particular, the brightness and visibility have come into question due to the reflector-style halogen highbeam.

Finally the GT-R can have dual HID projectors! Rather than having an unsightly yellow halogen bulb in the second bezel, the headlight now contains matching HID projectors.

This dual projector HID conversion provides incredible visibility at night while also improving the look of the headlights during the day.

For these headlights to achieve an OEM dual HID projector look new components have been produced to give an OEM fit and finish while slightly changing the shape. Although the HID projector conversion looks like it came from Nissan that way, a significant amount of work and reshaping was done to create a seamless installation. Note that the headlights shown have taken the option to paint the full interior of the light black and also feature carbon fiber one-off work that we provided. Factory OEM finishing can be done for a much lower cost.

Please note that we can provide you a complete new replacement set (by purchasing for you a new set of lights from Nissan) or we can offer this as a core exchange as long as your current headlights are in mint condition. We can also accept any condition headlamps if you would like us to work directly on your headlamps.

Pricing starts at $1500, but varies based on options selected. We provide every set full custom in any color or combination preferred. Typical production time is 2-3 weeks. We will try to keep a set in stock as well so please call or email for current availability.

Additional options available:
- painted inside assembly (white car shown has satin black painted assembly)
- painted headlight surrounds (white car shown as satin black painted surrounds)
- CCFL illumination surround on each projector (not pictured)
- LED illumination surround on each projector with integrated amber turn signal activated switchback (installed on white car)
- painted interior headlight assembly bezel (white car has our one-off carbon fiber conversion to this piece)
- LED headlight turn signal with white LED and switch to amber led when turn signal activated (not pictured)

LINK TO THE PRODUCT ON OUR SITE:
http://www.gt-rr.com/product.html?m=brand_...ion&id=1541

[email protected] or 213.745.6954

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That sure does look nice. Great work!

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
PM price list please

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
looks like garageworks handiwork

im used to having bixenons (read 'luxuries') and have put a d2r hid kit in the highbeams

the problem with the GTR isn't the highbeam, it's the psuedo reflector/projector setup in the low beam. Convert the low beam to a true sealed projector and then you'll gain output over stock

LEDs look cool though, very popular with z and civic guys

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
looks like garageworks handiwork

im used to having bixenons (read 'luxuries') and have put a d2r hid kit in the highbeams

the problem with the GTR isn't the highbeam, it's the psuedo reflector/projector setup in the low beam. Convert the low beam to a true sealed projector and then you'll gain output over stock

LEDs look cool though, very popular with z and civic guys
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not familiar with "Garageworks."

If we also changed the low beam, it would be overkill since we're accomplishing the brightness with the high beam conversion. Basically, we could also do the low beam but it'd be WAY overkill and too bright.

Essentially, Nissan made an overbuilt low-beam projector that doesn't quite deliver on what it's supposed to do. Realistically, it gives you a little extra wide beam pattern, which is good for what a low-beam is meant to do. However, it definitely doesn't project as well as say a Honda S2000 or Acura TSX projector. When the high beam projector is thrown in however, it fixes the problem and you still get the wide beam of the low-beam projector but makes up for it with the high beam for distance and strength. (Basically, you get the best of both worlds.)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
nissan did the same "wide angle" reflector behind a projector trick on the original 350z and it didnt work then either. they switched to a sealed projector on the update and i gained much more output from that setup

so you are using the high beam in conjunction with the low beam on the street? isnt that too blinding to oncoming motorists? or are your adjusting the cutoff to be inline with the oem low beam? if so, then i agree that would be a great idea

will you be posting a beam pic up against the wall to show the cut off of high + low vs oem low?

yep the honda projectors are the best in the industry, i had lightwerkz mod the projectors on my e46 m3 with tsx projectors

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
so you are using the high beam in conjunction with the low beam on the street? isnt that too blinding to oncoming motorists?

nissan did the same "wide angle" reflector behind a projector trick on the original 350z and it didnt work then either. they switched to a sealed projector on the update and i gained much more output from that setup
Yes and no. The highbeam projector has a "restrictor" built in that flips down when the highbeam is activated to give the full blast of light.

So in other words, in normal functionality, you have dual xenons (both the high and low projectors are illuminated), but the light emitting from the high projector is limited to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. When the highbeam is activated, you have both projectors with the restrictor flipped down to provide a lot of light.

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
will you be posting a beam pic up against the wall to show the cut off of high + low vs oem low?
Yes, on Monday I'll try and put together a little photo chart of some kind to show the differences.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
that sounds good, so you're retro'ing a bi-xenon projector then in the high beam slot?

in for a beam pic up against a wall to see the cutoff

id be keen on this, i do alot of night country driving

can you install the high beam projector while maintaining the inner headlight exactly as oem? or does the projector shroud need to be painted? id want it to look identical to oem

also, where are you drawing the extra power from? are you using the existing wiring or taking power from the battery?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
....$1500.......................................................

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
ive had headlights mod'd before, and also attempted it myself

sh!t load of labour involved in opening the headlight, cutting, soldering, glue'ing everything in and you only get one shot at it

1500 is about right, especially if they come with the cut-offs of each projector all level'd out of the box for a drop in install

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
As promised, here is a quick and dirty chart that shows the light output for the OEM low beam, OEM low beam plus our projector retrofit, and the high beam function of our projector retrofit. The pictures were taken on a wall in complete darkness with one side of lamps fitted to a stand. Obviously, when they're installed on an actual car, the light output will double and sit quite a bit lower to the ground.

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
Man, I like these a lot! So, if one didn't choose an optional color for the interior of them, would they have an OEM style finish?
You can choose whichever finish you want. Pretty much any color is up for grabs.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
Once again,, I have to ask what the OEM style finish is. See, I can't go out into the garage to look for myself, as my car's been in the shop for almost 3 wks and I can't remember.

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
Once again,, I have to ask what the OEM style finish is. See, I can't go out into the garage to look for myself, as my car's been in the shop for almost 3 wks and I can't remember.
It depends on what year your GT-R is, as different years have different finishes. Some have a silvery looking insert, while others are black-chrome looking.

Additionally, for those with 2012 GT-Rs, the inside has a bit more chrome paint, specifically in the bezels.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts