Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here's the one I got from him. I noticed ripples in it (which you can see on the photos). I've also noticed a larger gap on the left, but that hasn't bugged me as I think it can be adjusted. The photos to represent the ripples well. In the sun, they're much more defined.

The downside to dealing with him, is if something goes wrong, it'll cost you a ton to ship it back... Not sure what I'll do. I've got a dispute open with PayPal. If he wanted to provide legit customer service, he'd pay for return shipping as he sent a product that (from what I can see) has a defect, but that's clearly not what he's willing to do...

If it were me, after dealing w/ this issue, I'd stay clear of him, and seek out someone locally that won't screw you if you receive a defective product.

I might just wind up buying a better trunk and hope that it doesn't have those ripples. Otherwise, I guess I could pay someone to paint it and smooth that out of it.

Others however, have said that they've ordered from other companies and seen these types of ripples, and that it can happen w/ anyone. So maybe I'm being OCD?

I'm open to what others think about my situation though. Maybe that'll help you make your decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you take photos of the left side gap? I wanna compare to mine. Not sure where in those pics are the ripples you are talking about haha.

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,211 Posts
You're being ocd. Those "ripples" you're referring to is what you'll see on all CF parts with a gloss finish. It's the gel coat that does that. What most do to get it perfect is have a body shop wet sand it, clear coat and buff. It will look perfect after. No matter what you spend on these after market carbon parts, it will need some TLC to look perfect. Especially if you're ocd.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You're being ocd. Those "ripples" you're referring to is what you'll see on all CF parts with a gloss finish. It's the gel coat that does that. What most do to get it perfect is have a body shop wet sand it, clear coat and buff. It will look perfect after. No matter what you spend on these after market carbon parts, it will need some TLC to look perfect. Especially if you're ocd.
My AMS carbon trunk is Perfect

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are being OCD, carbon fiber parts not like metal material, always with 1-2 layers carbon fiber, so the surface will be flexible for big & flat surface, specially in glossy finish, then you will see ripple on the top surface. i think the processing should be vacuum, if in autoclave, there would be no ripple problem, but you have to pay $$$$...haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.