Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm on my way home to Tampa, FL from Atlanta GA with my new 2012 black edition and stopped for food only to notice the drivers side of the hood was not closed all the way. Not a huge gap but easily noticeable, maybe 1/2 centimeter. I opened, closed, etc. and can't get that side to stay down. The little bracket and latch on that site appear to be function just like the passenger side when I move them through the motions. Do I just need to really shove that bad boy down to get it to latch or could there be an issue? I don't want to damage something before I get to 200 miles so I'm being cautious lol.

·
R37 Member
683 Posts
Hi all, I'm on my way home to Tampa, FL from Atlanta GA with my new 2012 black edition and stopped for food only to notice the drivers side of the hood was not closed all the way. Not a huge gap but easily noticeable, maybe 1/2 centimeter. I opened, closed, etc. and can't get that side to stay down. The little bracket and latch on that site appear to be function just like the passenger side when I move them through the motions. Do I just need to really shove that bad boy down to get it to latch or could there be an issue? I don't want to damage something before I get to 200 miles so I'm being cautious lol.
Congrats! I'm Jealous. LOL. Have you checked the tracts where the hood lays, maybe something obstructing it from closing all the way?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I just drop it and it closes fine. That hood is heavy as fcuk. Maybe check to see if the support rod is down all the way?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Make sure the hood prop is placed in the clip, mine was off a little when I closed it and the hood prop wasn't in the right place.

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys; yeah I was just trying to be too nice to it. Texted a friend who also has a '12 and he said he had the exact same issue and I just needed to push it down harder. Just got it home; kind of sucks putting 500 miles on in the first day.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thanks guys; yeah I was just trying to be too nice to it. Texted a friend who also has a '12 and he said he had the exact same issue and I just needed to push it down harder. Just got it home; kind of sucks putting 500 miles on in the first day.
Wish I could have done 500 miles in the first day, your that much closer to the end of break in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have you looked at the black rubber thingo attached to the underside of the bonnet (hood), there is 1 ea side and these are an adjustable screw in "stop". Mine had a gap on 1 side and I screwed the RHS 1 in a little more and it made the gap even both sides.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Have you looked at the black rubber thingo attached to the underside of the bonnet (hood), there is 1 ea side and these are an adjustable screw in "stop". Mine had a gap on 1 side and I screwed the RHS 1 in a little more and it made the gap even both sides.
^^^^^
What he said.

·
R35 Pilot
1,029 Posts
my 2012 some times needs a push in the driver side corner even after dropping. nissan told me its normal lol

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Dont push it, its aluminum and it will dent. Drop it from 2ft.....sounds worse, but the panel wont have dents in it late
This. Don't push, drop.

Beats me how Nissan managed to make an ali hood that heavy though! Can't imagine a steel one being much heavier, although I guess the lack of gas struts means you feel all the weight.

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Thanks guys; will try the drop method next time I have it open. Just dropped it off for window tint.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
evo911, when you say "Nissan", who are you referring to? Your Dealer?

·
Registered
247 Posts
congrats on the new car. mine did the same thing. Had to push my half of the time. I drove me 800 miles the first day. raced Z06, Vette, Mustangs... anything that wanted to race on the way back. Enjoy it. I don't think you need to break it in.

·
Registered
809 Posts
congrats on the new car. mine did the same thing. Had to push my half of the time. I drove me 800 miles the first day. raced Z06, Vette, Mustangs... anything that wanted to race on the way back. Enjoy it. I don't think you need to break it in.
This is why I buy new cars.

·
Registered
284 Posts
So, here we go again. The great run in debate.

Yes there are 2 schools of thought on this and lets not go there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts