Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experts, I googled for a day and a half and couldn't find the exact symptoms I'm experiencing anywhere else on the web. All three switches are in the "R" mode. When I launch the car (only a recent issue) she just bogs down hard before accelerating. The process is as such:

1) Flick all three switches into "R" mode if temperatures are conducive to launching.
2) Hold the brake pedal and the gas pedal down.
3) Let off the gas pedal.
4) Car lets out a little chirp (and I mean little) and then completely bogs down before taking back off normally.
5) The last time I tried this I received a "VDC System malfunction" MIL on the dash.

What am I doing wrong? I thought that even with VDC on (In "R" mode) the car was allowed some controlled wheelspin as it hurls forward....which was my experience in the past. Please help me all! The car used to be soo fun!

Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Feel silly as I just saw aerosmith's thread but there is a difference here: My car is stock. FWIW I have Michellin Pilot Sport non-runflat tires. 93 octane and, again, no tune.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your clutches are slipping, unfortunately, without a tune you cannot adjust your clutch points, but good news, you can go to dealer and warranty your Trans (assuming you never tuned the car) but you'll have to recreate, a video or a ride along with the service manager, did it bog on street or track?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Step 3 says you let off the gas pedal. Im sure you meant brake pedal but wanted to eliminate that possibility. The light could have simply been a warning as to how many consecutive launches. You get 3 and then the 4th goes limp.

Try launching like this. 1. Set all switches to R 2. Place left foot firmly on brake pedal. 3. Floor gas pedal with right foot. 4. Within 2-3 seconds, release brake pedal and at the same time,release gas pedal half way for a second and then floor it again. Thats how I launch and I routinely cut 1.6-1.7 60 fts on the street (according to my Vbox). In other words you arent launching under full throttle this way.

Joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice Joe and good catch. Yes, I meant I release the brake pedal lol (no surprise the car doesn't go anywhere when I release the gas pedal huh). I will try this and report back!

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Step 3 says you let off the gas pedal. Im sure you meant brake pedal but wanted to eliminate that possibility. The light could have simply been a warning as to how many consecutive launches. You get 3 and then the 4th goes limp.

Try launching like this. 1. Set all switches to R 2. Place left foot firmly on brake pedal. 3. Floor gas pedal with right foot. 4. Within 2-3 seconds, release brake pedal and at the same time,release gas pedal half way for a second and then floor it again. Thats how I launch and I routinely cut 1.6-1.7 60 fts on the street (according to my Vbox). In other words you arent launching under full throttle this way.

Joe
This is good advice, but does it cover up the possibility that OP has a clutch problem? I mean, he shouldn't have to do this. Just inquiring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark is right. I know that the cars can launch with wheelspin and take off like a missile.....ask me how :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am out for work at the moment but I will definitely report back once I return and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
***UPDATE***

brake fluid levels were normal although the dealer said that during launch VDC wasn't registering and historically that has been because of dirty brake fluid or low levels of it. They are flushing my system and replacing the fluid so I will check back with solution when I pick the car up..... Hopefully this will help someone else out down the road.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, I've been out of town a while, but basically the brake fluid was flushed and replaced and now it launches well again!

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Thanks for updating. Glad you got it up and running!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts