Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
I decided to start a little thread because people have been asking me lately for somewhat 3rd party comparisons between turbo kits.

After looking at my folder this morning I realized that I had a few graphs that may be of interest to the community. This is strictly a information helper thread, please forgive any lack of information or detail. I am not trying to prove anything or say one kit is better than the other. There are companies making good stuff for the GT-R and this is just a small comparison to help customers make decisions on their mod path. We do not favor companies, nor do we sugar coat things. We are a very Motorsports driven company and are determined to only bring our customers what works, as opposed to what sells or has the best margin. Therefor you will see no trickery, smoke and mirrors, or rug sweeping going on here!

These were all pump gas 93oct numbers done on the same dyno, in the same gear and similar conditions. However I can not tell you that they are all at the exact same boost levels. We usually run pump gas between 19-21psi and never higher than that so you know that any of the graphs are within 2 psi max. These cars also all have very similar supporting mods, ie: Fuel Pumps, Injectors, Intercoolers, Intercooler Piping, BOVs, Cattless Exhaust...etc. PLEASE NOTE: These are not going to be max dyno numbers on pump gas for any of these kits, they are simply the best comparisons I had with similar boost levels.

Another thing you should know about us is we DO NOT glory pass cars on the dyno. We keep things very conservative on pump gas due to the large variance between gas quality at different fuel stations. When dealing with race gas or more stable fuels we are more confortable pushing the limits, however all of the below graphs are going to be very conservative, most at about 21psi (aftermarket turbo cars) and mild timing numbers.

All that being said, any other shops are more than welcome to post graphs that they may have, just please keep in mind this is a comparison thread. I would ask that all graphs be overlaid with either a bolt on car, or another make/model turbo kit as well as very clearly labeled. I also ask that they be on the same dyno in the same gear in order to keep the spool characteristics the same.

Hope this thread will aid some of you in making decisions. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have either publicly or privately.

I do have some other graphs to overlay and label, I will try my best to get them up in the coming days.

Best,

~Cicio
TopSpeed Motorsports

Full Bolt-On 2012 vs. Stock 2012 GT-R

Full Bolt-On 2012 GT-R vs. AMS Alpha9

Full Bolt-On 2012 GT-R vs. HKS GT800

Full Bolt-On 2012 GT-R vs. AMS Alpha10

AMS Alpha9 vs. HKS GT800

AMS Alpha9 vs. AMS Alpha10

AMS Alpha10 vs. HKS GT800

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Your ALPHA 9 graph looks very low. I assume that was Leh's one lap car that you did on very low boost?

Eric
I suspect that the top end power would vary a little bit in an uncontrolled comparison..some might be maxed out some might not..but these graph are very useful for comparing spool up time of turbo kits... from 2000rpm to 5000rpm

Thank you [email protected] for taking the time to post this

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
I just got off the phone with Cicio and most ALPHA 9's on pump are tuned to about 22-23 psi. on pump gas. The ALPHA 9 graph shown was actually 20.3 psi on Leh's old ALPHA 9 One lap car. This explains the difference in power.

Great comparisons guys! I bet this thread will end up being a great tool for users on the site. Ill pop in here and add some more graphs of our own. Thanks!

Eric

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect that the top end power would vary a little bit in an uncontrolled comparison..some might be maxed out some might not..but these graph are very useful for comparing spool up time of turbo kits... from 2000rpm to 5000rpm

Thank you [email protected] for taking the time to post this
Glad you find it useful, I thought it was interesting! Hope it helps

~Cicio

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
ok, ill use this post to add all of our charts.

Here is one from the earlier thread:

ALPHA 9 on 93 octane vs a Stock 2009 GT-R on 93 octane:

ALPHA 9 vs full stock turbo bolt on car

ALPHA 9 on 93 vs ALPHA 10 on 93 octane

ALPHA 12 on MS109E vs ALPHA 10 on MS019E

All ALPHA packages vs stock on 93 octane showing just wheel horsepower

All ALPHA packages on Race gas Vs Stock

ALPHA 10 on 93 Vs Stock

·
Troller
3,473 Posts
It looks like the full bolt on 2012 spools a few hundred rpm faster than the alpha 9 but the stock turbos begin to get out of their efficiency range much earlier than the alpha 9s. Has anyone attempted to port the stock turbos?

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recieved a PM asking for a bone stock 2012 vs. the full bolt on car overlaid. I added it to the original post as the first graph.

It looks like the full bolt on 2012 spools a few hundred rpm faster than the alpha 9 but the stock turbos begin to get out of their efficiency range much earlier than the alpha 9s. Has anyone attempted to port the stock turbos?
Porting the factory turbos wouldn't really do anything, the efficiency of the factory turbo wheel is really the limiting factor. it simply just isn't big enough to flow at those boost levels.....size does matter

~Cicio

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm quite impressed with the torque of the bolt-on 2012. To get another big torque jump, you have to step up to an Alpha10.

What a great platform to start with.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Great post Cicio. Can you disclose, just for clarity, exactly what "full bolt-ons' entails?

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great post Cicio. Can you disclose, just for clarity, exactly what "full bolt-ons' entails?
I'm sorry I should have included this.

The car in the graph above has the following.

Cattless Downpipes
Resonated Y-Pipe
Aftermarket Rear Section
Upgraded Injectors
Upgraded Intercoolers
Drop In Filters
Pump Gas
TSM SD Tune

STOCK Actuators
STOCK Intakes
STOCK Fuel Pumps

Good question!!

~Cicio

·
Registered
862 Posts
Very interesting data. Should we assume that all the Alphas and HKS modded dynos are for '09-'11 GT-Rs?

Tom

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes sir you are correct. However I wouldn't want anyone to actually thing that a 2012 will make any more power. Once the inlets are swapped out and the car is tuned the 2012 has NO advantage powerwise.

~Cicio

·
Registered
488 Posts
Am I assuming correctly that the Alpha 9 and HKS GT800 kitted cars have built motors? At least pistons, rods and cams? Or some combination?

·
Banned
853 Posts
This thread is great! Thank you Cicio and Eric!

Is it a software limitation that you can only compare two charts? Would be nice to see a "just hp" or "just tq" graph of stock/Alpha6/9/10/12 all on one.

Alpha10 vs stock too please

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I was wondering if all the alpha9 is it stock block n tranny

1 - 20 of 100 Posts