Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey fellas,

Im located in the Bay Area, and as far as I know there aren't any "good" dyno tuners in the area. I believe the closest dyno tune to the bay area is Cobb in Southern California. I am currently running the Cobb V3.6 Stage 2 map, which seems good at the moment but would really like to see how a more customized tune would be for the car?

I've been seriously considering the Jack Cecil HP Logic tune, more so now that there is a sale going on!

I have my mods listed below, and am adding Agency Catless downpipes this week or next. Would you guys recommend an E-tune or should I drive down to Cobb to get it dyno tuned?

·
R36 Member
742 Posts
To be honest, nothing beats a dyno tune. You can get pretty far with an E-Tune, but in the bay area, there aren't many places to get some good data logs. I do recommend getting a tune from [email protected], he did an excellent job with my car. The drive down was well worth it.

·
LiMiTLeSs
3,151 Posts
Or what you could do is rent a dyno in your area and setup a scheduled time with Jack at HP logic and have him tune you while your on the dyno. You email him logs he reviews them and sends you new maps! Then you test each map on the dyno until your dialed in. Should only take a hour or so based on your mods your car can cool down between pulls awhile you wait for a new map. After your done with the dyno I would log a few road pulls just for comparison.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm in the same position as you! I dont trust any tuners in my area, so I'm stuck with the choice of driving a few hours for a dyno tune, or just getting a e- tune.

Jack at HP logic seems to be getting great results at the track with the cars he tunes, but I'm not sure if it's the e-tune cars putting down those numbers, or cars he dyno tunes.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Jack E-tuned my new car, as I did not have the time to head over to HPLogic and put it on the Dyno.

My car has an HKS resonated mid-pipe and Cobb AP NIS006 only. I laid down an amazing best 10.73 on stock run flats last week with this setup. DA was 900 and very humid. I also hit a bunch of 10.8's that same night, with traps in the 127-128 range

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
To be honest, nothing beats a dyno tune. You can get pretty far with an E-Tune, but in the bay area, there aren't many places to get some good data logs. I do recommend getting a tune from [email protected], he did an excellent job with my car. The drive down was well worth it.
Cobb gets our vote for a custom tune if that's the route you want to take

If you are looking for an E-flash im sure our tuners Chris and Mitch can certainly take care of you.

Eric

·
R36 Member
742 Posts
Or what you could do is rent a dyno in your area and setup a scheduled time with Jack at HP logic and have him tune you while your on the dyno. You email him logs he reviews them and sends you new maps! Then you test each map on the dyno until your dialed in. Should only take a hour or so based on your mods your car can cool down between pulls awhile you wait for a new map. After your done with the dyno I would log a few road pulls just for comparison.
Renting a dyno in our area requires us to pay for the dyno and time with a tuner. I haven't found a place that allows you to do the run's on the dyno, specifically because of insurance purposes. With that said, it can get costly for the rental + pay for time with a tuner to do the runs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack E-tuned my new car, as I did not have the time to head over to HPLogic and put it on the Dyno.

My car has an HKS resonated mid-pipe and Cobb AP NIS006 only. I laid down an amazing best 10.73 on stock run flats last week with this setup. DA was 900 and very humid. I also hit a bunch of 10.8's that same night, with traps in the 127-128 range
I really want to be able to hit 10s when my local track opens up again. So many tuner to choose from..but Jack's current offer is very very tempting

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I would not hesitate to recommend Jack. Personally I was going to choose either AMS or Jack, because Jack is close to me I went that route, and am very happy.

Especially on pump gas, with just a mid pipe and intake, E-tune is good from a big name tuner. When Jack tuned my car with my injectors, E85 and 3" intakes he has never tuned the car. He was very close out of the box on pull number one.

My very 1st pass down the 1/4 mile was a 10.50 with that setup. Lots of local 10 second Tune and Midpipe Jack cars, depends on the weather, but the car will do it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Street tuning over dynos any day. A dyno just does not load a car like real world conditions do. I never tune a car on a dyno without making sure everything is appropriate on the street afterwards.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
To be clear every dyno tune we perform is taken out on the streets for further logging and testing. I think all good tuners follow that same practice. Street "tuning" is VERY dangerous. Doing the work on the dyno and just mild corrections on the street is the best way to tune any car.

Eric

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be clear every dyno tune we perform is taken out on the streets for further logging and testing. I think all good tuners follow that same practice. Street "tuning" is VERY dangerous. Doing the work on the dyno and just mild corrections on the street is the best way to tune any car.

Eric
Eric, so what would you suggest for someone who doesn't have easy access to a dyno tune? I'm not too far from LA but I know there must be others around the country who truly don't have a dyno tuner located within a reasonable distance

·
Vendor
3,029 Posts
We have done lots of e-tunes recently for people in your area with great success. If there is anything we can do to help let us know.

The dyno tune is always recommended, however with mild mods a good tuner can get a GT-R 99% of the way via e-tune.

If you would like I can put you in touch with some people that have been e-tuned by us in your area and you can ask them about the experience.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the car

~Cicio

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gotta say jack did a great job on my car via etune

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Eric, so what would you suggest for someone who doesn't have easy access to a dyno tune? I'm not too far from LA but I know there must be others around the country who truly don't have a dyno tuner located within a reasonable distance
Really cobb in your area is the best bet but for your level of modifications a GOOD E-tune would be just fine. Keep in mind when we send you an Etune we don't just fire you off with a map and send you one your way. We teach you how to log and have us send you file back and forth so that we can dial in your car to your conditions and your fuel. Its like being tuned her but without the dyno.

Give me a call and we can set you up with a good E-tune.

Eric

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've had my vehicle tuned 3 times and the dyno is great. But like Eric said after all is said and done you need to log it on the street for real world conditions/air flow, etc. Two of my tunes have been E-tuned and I have been happy(Was e-tuned on Dyno and then data logged on the street for adjustment).

·
AllYourBoostAreBelongToUs
354 Posts

Eric
really? every car ive had tuned including my prior evo gets tuned on the dyno, and then given to me, know one has ever logged it on the street after the dyno tune

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.