Nissan GT-R Forum banner
221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm officially done. I got my kit last week. i just watched one youtube video of John and his explanation of the hooking up the flex fuel harness. It could have been a better lighted video, but its just too freakin easy once i did it. the hardest part of hooking it up is getting to the fuel return line and unhooking the oem fuel dampner because its right in the back, almost in the middle. basically i took off the red intake manifold cover and then unhooked it with a 10mm wrench. you really have to stretch to get to it. next i ran the harness to the battery compartment and stuck the Zeitronix and then left the cable detached that would have plugged into the secondary emmisions module.. its easy to identify. its the only grey color plug in that compartment. next called John and let him know i'm ready. it took 2 days since john has been really busy(so all you guys who are waiting for kits and a response from John--he will get to you). the day john called he asked me to uninstall my cobb and everything get reset to factory -- so don't start your car. next he remotes into your computer with LOGMEIN.com software to make sure your Ecutek software is installed updated then rechecks your dongle code(thats the little usb flash drive thingamajig) that comes in your ecutek kit with the ODB II port harness. By now you would have received all the map files in an email. which you should have downloaded and saved to a folder. John proceeded to show me how the EcuTek software works and how you can do the basics of connecting to the car and installing a map file and how you would do logging. So at this point your cobb was uninstalled.. and you have your stock maps for ecu and transmission back in you car. He first will install the Ecu map, then asks you to go back and plug in that Grey plug to his harness in the battery compartment. then you cycle your key. now he will check that your car is reading the ethanol content. next is the install of the Transmission map. next cycle your key so that all the uploading is completed. your done:?!!!!!! Boom the car cranks up and no more stuttering starts(more like epileptic seizures like i had with the cobb). Next i disconnected from John on the computer and on my phone, he tells me to go do some logs in 3rd gear 2k rpm to redline in manual transmission mode. I send the files and I'm good to go. later he tells me he did all this while he was in a friends car driving on the highway approximately 15 minutes time not including the cobb uninstall. The dude is just awesome.

I was familiar with Cobb but had no clue about anything Ecutek so for those of you unfamiliar with EcuTek. this is part of Johns setup

Now my thoughts.. this install is ridiculously easy. if you have e85 anywhere near you with in 15 miles or more, you have to do this and most of us that own a GTR should be able to afford this. I had the e85 tune from John on my Cobb, but maybe its just my mind but this tune feels significantly stronger. the car is just pullin hard almost to the point where my tires are breaking loose in the shifts thru the lower gears..( well it wasn't doing that before when i was on the E85.) so what ever he did/changed/improved in the tune. I can feel it. I have to say I've been driving on E85 for about 3 months since he did the tune for me on my cobb. so i think its for real not just that new toy/upgrade rush, where my wife says i imagine things
. He did get back to me on my logs the next day and said he can tweak it a bit, but I could continue driving. so I have to say, thanks John Visconti. Its money well spent. One of these days i hope to meet him at a GTR-life event. So on ward to the next mod LOL
just got mine as well, waiting on the tune to be emailed to me. mind sending the link to the install:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Received my kit too (thanks John!) Currently waiting on my flash/tune.

Install took, literally, 30 minutes. Suggest you let the car sit for a day or two to relieve some of the fuel pressure. Take down the line with the GREEN quick disconnect. You will have a small amount of fuel spillage, but it should be minimal if you let the pressure bleed down. Most difficult part was reaching the bolts at the back of the manifold.... helps if you have long arms... Flex head, ratcheting wrenches make the job much easier.

FYI, if you have a 2012+, you'll need to make provisions for the harness that goes into the battery bay. The CF strut bar interferes with the opening where the pos/neg cables pass into the engine bay. I had to break out the rat tail file to add some room...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi All,
I've thinking of getting this kit but wonder if there's any good instructions written on the install of the injectors and fuel pumps? I can do shock swaps, air intakes, and spark plugs, etc. and wonder if I can do the injectors and drop in fuel pumps myself without a lift. I'd appreciate any advise.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hi All,
I've thinking of getting this kit but wonder if there's any good instructions written on the install of the injectors and fuel pumps? I can do shock swaps, air intakes, and spark plugs, etc. and wonder if I can do the injectors and drop in fuel pumps myself without a lift. I'd appreciate any advise.
Fuel pumps and injectors are pretty straight forward.

I believe speed for sale has a bunch of Install guides on their website.

Navigating their website is hard, so I normally google "GTR fuel pump install speedforsale "

John

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I never done shocks, I say you can do injectors and pumps no problem.

Hi All,

·
Registered
730 Posts
That's only 2 and nothing over 1k Hp. And have not heard to many praises from anyone with a high Hp cars. If its reliable and works really well then it's a nice alternative.

·
The World Warrior
7,254 Posts
That's only 2 and nothing over 1k Hp. And have not heard to many praises from anyone with a high Hp cars. If its reliable and works really well then it's a nice alternative.
It's a newer system. Ecutek just get SD tuning recently. Let it progress and work from there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fuel pumps and injectors are pretty straight forward.

I believe speed for sale has a bunch of Install guides on their website.

Navigating their website is hard, so I normally google "GTR fuel pump install speedforsale "

John
The instructions from Speedforsale look very detailed and looks like it isn't that complicated. And they have clear pictures to show where the lock tab of the fuel pump housing which is what I was looking, otherwise without knowing where the locking tabs are, I always have the fear of trying pulling things apart and end up breaking things. Now I need to decide whether to add a mid pipe to the otherwise stock '13 once I get the flex fuel kit.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
The instructions from Speedforsale look very detailed and looks like it isn't that complicated. And they have clear pictures to show where the lock tab of the fuel pump housing which is what I was looking, otherwise without knowing where the locking tabs are, I always have the fear of trying pulling things apart and end up breaking things. Now I need to decide whether to add a mid pipe to the otherwise stock '13 once I get the flex fuel kit.
Glad that was helpful !

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
A mid-pipe is a great addition to the car to not only add power but also to enhance the exhaust note a bit.

ModFreaksGTR

·
Registered
549 Posts
I heard it was still available in Provo. Is that no longer true? (Albeit not convenient for you in SL,UT.)
Provo is the last one in the state. They got rid of the pump in Layton near my house. This setup will be good for road trips though..

·
VR38 Killer
998 Posts
Yeah, theres hardly much real world usage of GTR ecutek SD since its literally only been out for a couple months and John has been the only one in the states to push it forward. No sure if [email protected] has tuned with it yet or not or any other Ecutek tuner.
Everythings set for me to be tuned on SD ecutek-flex as well, but ill limiting my power to 1k for bugetary reasons.

~Dv8

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi guys, im from the UK and new to all this... Picking up my late 2009 gtr next week. I was planning to take my car to a company out here called Litchfield Imports and I believe they use EcuTek. Reading this thread makes me feel more confident that I'm choosing the right company.
This flex fuel thing.... Is this something we can do out here? I know our fuel differs slightly out here.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Hi guys, im from the UK and new to all this... Picking up my late 2009 gtr next week. I was planning to take my car to a company out here called Litchfield Imports and I believe they use EcuTek. Reading this thread makes me feel more confident that I'm choosing the right company.
This flex fuel thing.... Is this something we can do out here? I know our fuel differs slightly out here.
Yes this is something you could do but you need to make sure you have access to ethanol... I heard it was hard to come by you

John

221 - 240 of 267 Posts