Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like EcuTeK is currently more advanced than the Cobb AP. They can create boost off the line and have figured out how to use LC1-4 on all year R35's. You can also control the launch rpm via the steering wheel.

Looks like Cobb needs to hire a new reverse engineering guy. EcuTek's guy is MUCH better.

I am posting this to try to lite a fire under Cobb's butt! They have "been working on it" for almost a year now. No LC4 adjustments and no LC4 for 2010 owners. The LC4 works for 09 owners but they have to launch at 4800rpms.

Cobb is loosing money and they can't seem to figure this out.

Very frustrated with Joe's replies in the past 12 months regarding this topic....

Will COBB EVER get LC4 working on the GT-R?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
A little harsh... But to be fair that was almost a month ago.

Testing much cooler things now ;)

Looking forward to completing our AMS Longblock install so we can really see what all this new TCM stuff does at the track

-John

(null)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm all for lighting a fire and EcuTek seems to have some good features, but I'm not so sure about a couple of the statements in here...
  • EcuTek can build boost off the line - Unproven as far as I know as we haven't seen anything other than this "demo" video showing RPMs going up and down with the cruise control switch. One of the folks here repeatedly requested a vid showing the boost gauge during the "RPMS up and down" so we could see it was actually making boost but nothing was ever shown. We also haven't seen an EcuTek car actually launch
  • EcuTek has LC4 adjustments - If you mean RPM up/down then yes, however we haven't seen any end-user interface that allows clutch capacities and touch points to be adjusted, or a relearn initiated.
  • The software shown is available to "experienced commercial tuner only" (according to the web site they won't sell to end users), and looking at their web site the "end user" software is shown only for Subaru and Mitsu. May just be a bad web site but I'm not sure how/if an end user can load/unload maps (note that AMS said "no etunes" with EcuTek which lead to my "if")
The competition is great for sure, looking forward to more info and actual first hand experiences with people running EcuTek maps (in other words hurry up John
)...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
building boost off the line = quickest way to grenade a box

cobb tuners can offer e-maps - ecutek is the one who needs to play catch up

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
For the ECM you can only have Cobb or EcuTek.

Although you can have Cobb on the ECM and Ecutek on tcm at the same time I wouldn't suggest it.
Go all Ecutek or all Cobb.

EcuTek doesn't have a handheld programmer. They will have a End user cable but won't be around for at least another month.

If you want Ecutek you'll need to find a GTR ecutek protuner,. Currently only AMS and TheShopCT have it.

*EDIT*

I'm all for lighting a fire and EcuTek seems to have some good features, but I'm not so sure about a couple of the statements in here...
  • EcuTek can build boost off the line - Unproven as far as I know as we haven't seen anything other than this "demo" video showing RPMs going up and down with the cruise control switch. One of the folks here repeatedly requested a vid showing the boost gauge during the "RPMS up and down" so we could see it was actually making boost but nothing was ever shown. We also haven't seen an EcuTek car actually launch
  • EcuTek has LC4 adjustments - If you mean RPM up/down then yes, however we haven't seen any end-user interface that allows clutch capacities and touch points to be adjusted, or a relearn initiated.
  • The software shown is available to "experienced commercial tuner only" (according to the web site they won't sell to end users), and looking at their web site the "end user" software is shown only for Subaru and Mitsu. May just be a bad web site but I'm not sure how/if an end user can load/unload maps (note that AMS said "no etunes" with EcuTek which lead to my "if")
The competition is great for sure, looking forward to more info and actual first hand experiences with people running EcuTek maps...
  • It can build boost off the line - but nothing very special at the moment. Currently a work in progress but a huge leap in the right direction. Most of the testing I do is on our shop or buddys GTR. Currently our shop car (shep tranny) is currently apart. Once it's back together TRUST ME we will be launching the crap out of this thing
    ! The adjustable launch control is awesome, not for launching stock trannys @ 6k, but for adjusting for slippery track conditions. etc
  • EcuTek can do gear learning, touch points , clutch capacities on LC1-LC4- currently only pro tuners can do this - but once the end user cable is out then the end user can do it. As stated above this is old developments, new much cooler stuff on the way..
  • When the cable comes out there won't be any user tuning - so thats a :( for some people.

-John

·
Cobb Tuning
421 Posts
For the ECM you can only have Cobb or EcuTek.

Although you can have Cobb on the ECM and Ecutek on tcm at the same time I wouldn't suggest it.
Go all Ecutek or all Cobb.

EcuTek doesn't have a handheld programmer. They will have a End user cable but won't be around for at least another month.

If you want Ecutek you'll need to find a GTR ecutek protuner,. Currently only AMS and TheShopCT have it.

-John

(null)
^ What he said!

Also, it the software does have the ability to learn the newest LC4, and also just the touch points and torque capacities!

Both solutions offer GREAT features and one of them is not necessarily the BEST at the moment, which is why we chose to offer both. If you are a local customer of AMS we would like the oppertunity to discuss with you and see which solution best meets your needs!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
<snip>
  • It can build boost off the line - but nothing very special at the moment. Currently a work in progress but a huge leap in the right direction. Most of the testing I do is on our shop or buddys GTR. Currently our shop car (shep tranny) is currently apart. Once it's back together TRUST ME we will be launch the crap out of this thing
    ! The adjustable launch control is awesome, not for launching stock trannys @ 6k, but for adjusting for slippery track conditions. etc
  • EcuTek can do gear learning, touch points , clutch capacities on LC1-LC4- currently only pro tuners can do this - but once the end user cable is out then the end user can do it.
  • When the cable comes out there won't be any user tuning - so thats a :( for some people.
-John
Great info John! Def. in for the testing results. Having a predictable/repeatable LC RPM setting will be a huge plus as currently that seems to be pretty variable depending on the car, trans settings, etc. I also like the "flashing MIL" for knock as I wouldn't have to keep the boost gauge on the MFD...

Is the "cable" that will be coming in a month the EasyECU setup that's available now for Subaru/Mitsu? Is there a "dongle" type UI device or an iPhone/Android/WinMo version that doesn't require a laptop out in the car?

·
Banned
853 Posts
Competition is a good thing and choice is always nice to have.

EcuTek definitely seem like they have been adding features at a much faster pace than Cobb has. I'm excited to see how this plays out this year.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Great info John! Def. in for the testing results. Is the "cable" that will be coming in a month the EasyECU setup that's available now for Subaru/Mitsu? Is there a "dongle" type UI device or an iPhone/Android/WinMo version that doesn't require a laptop out in the car?
Not sure what they're going to call it, but it will be a updated version of their older EasyECU that will support everything they support.

Dongle for iphone/andriod/win etc - I don't think so - but I can find out - def a good idea

-John

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like I will wait at least another year for EcuTek and Cobb to perfect their products for my 2010. Oh well, hopefully by then their products will be better polished and perform appropriately.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Good news since 90% I've heard is about Cobb, and my tuner uses EcuTek. Anyhow, what can I expect from 3" intakes, full 90mm turbo-back exhaust and a tune? My car is MY12 US / 11' EU. Do I need injectors for OEM turbos?

·
R35.se
453 Posts
Good news since 90% I've heard is about Cobb, and my tuner uses EcuTek. Anyhow, what can I expect from 3" intakes, full 90mm turbo-back exhaust and a tune? My car is MY12 US / 11' EU. Do I need injectors for OEM turbos?
You will need injectors. Is it JRM? They are currently building 2 beasts which I guess is with ecutek

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You will need injectors. Is it JRM? They are currently building 2 beasts which I guess is with ecutek
I prefer to stay local, hardware install by Race Tuning Works and tune by Per (ex Autotech). So what injectors and what can I expect from 98 RON fuel? I guess Rototest will tell.. ;)

·
Banned
746 Posts
I wouldn't consider at all until they give access to the car owner to be able to tune their own car!!!!!!

·
R35.se
453 Posts
I wouldn't consider at all until they give access to the car owner to be able to tune their own car!!!!!!
+1

We have listed everything ecutek can do, that cobb can't but there are many things cobb can and ecutek can't! Like ATR, resale value, tcm functions open for the user and more..

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.