Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a highly modded gtr to register in the nova area where emissions is going to be required every 2 years. The car has a hks gt800 kit with no cats. There are currently no check engine lights triggered. I was thinking about installing a cobb catted mid pipe to pass the sniffer test.

Has anyone had experiences passing emissions tests with a modded gtr? thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just installed the COBB 3" Race Downpipe (cause they sound so good) - I need help passing emissions since its catless.

YELP!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I'm assuming the car was tuned with a Cobb

You'll need to make sure the tuner didn't turn off any DTCs.

If they are turned off with the Cobb the car will never pass emissions.

Putting catted downpipes on should make you pass.

John

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is no sniffer test in VA, but if the O2 sensors are turned off you will fail the readiness test. Pick up some stock midpipes, pass the test and then reinstall the catless pipes. Someone told me he thought the Cobb could get you to pass but I have a hard time believing that. Goo luck, I am in emissions line as I type this.

·
I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who
1,357 Posts
You don't need to put back your stock DPs to pass. Have the tuner keep the DTC on, like Vistconi said. You just need to buy o2 sims and it will pass. Drive @ some so the drive cycles start. I had this same problem in GA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
PMed you the secret Virginia emissions work around ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
haha feel free to PM me and I'll send you guys the same message.. I PMed Jebzter back.. Or you can email me.. [email protected] since I only check this forum every once in a while..

·
Registered
11 Posts
So just to set the background and not sound sketchy... I have a low post count because I'm new to GTR forums, but I've been on Supraforums for years.. I've met a handful of the local guys at meets.. I have a Supra with a 4 inch straight pipe, that you can hear coming from a few miles away and pretty much gives the middle finger to any emissions laws..I tried to bribe local places..I tried to argue that it runs E85, so technically it should bypass emissions..negative..No place wanted to get in trouble for passing my car.. I just got mine re-registered in VA a few weeks ago online, without going into any shop and completely bypassing emissions all-together..

The only reason I don't want to toss the info on a public forum is so that work around doesn't go away in the near future..I'll PM you guys individually and you can reach out to me for any help..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts