Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running ME20's on the street between track events? If so, what are your impressions regarding "street manners?" I know the MX72's are a better street pad and I heard they "work well" on the track, but the ME20 I believe is a more track-oriented pad. I don't change my pads between street driving and track events so I'm leaning towards the MX72's, but I'm wondering if the ME20's are tolerable on the street in terms of low speed noise and rotor wear.

I've used Carbotech XP8 and XP10's on the street and they were pretty noisy at low speeds, but rotor wear was not bad, at all. The Carbone Lorraine RC6 and RC6E's are intolerably loud on the street at low speeds but they were a great track pad. The Carbotechs were also a great track pad but were not as loud as the Carbone Lorrains, but they were still loud. Additionally, the Carbone Lorraine RC6E pads completely defaced my front J hooks after just 8 months of street driving with two track days in there, which is something I never experienced with the Carbotechs.

So back to my original question. Is anyone running ME20's on the street between track events? If so, what are your impressions regarding noise and rotor wear?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Greyzilla activist
392 Posts
I had ME20's through 6 track days last year and about 2000 street miles, probably a year worth of street driving. I don't drive it on the street much. It obviously works great on the track, but it is a bit squeeky on the street. I do reapply permatex which helps, but still louder than OEM, but nothing like the carbotech. Dust is ok. It will not deface your J hooks. I was lazy and never took them off after track days. My J hooks still looks good

·
Registered
388 Posts
i have the ME20 pair with J-hook. mine setup hardly squeek at all... just once a while stopping at the light.. i don't DD with my GTR, i usually take it to track or Sat/Sun morning coffee. i was thinking debating ME20 or MX72. i said F it .. go for the ME20 and i'm happy with it. I never experience the MX72... so i can't tell you what's the different. Bottom line is...my setup hardly squeek unlike what's most people said.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm running the Endless CC-Rg (with Alcon rotors) which I think are comparable to the ME20.

I have them on for about 14000 miles with 2 trackdays (as a beginner) on the nordschleife and a lot of autobahn which means high speeds and a lot of breaking.
My GT-R is also used as DD.

As NJR35 already wrote, they hardly squeak at all, just once a while stopping at the light. I happens when the brakes got hot right before and disappears again.
It's not bad at all!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Are there any pads that give off less brake dust than stock and perform as well?

After driving a week in nice weather my rims are covered in brake dust.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. When the time comes, likely next year sometime, I think I'll go ahead and try the MX72's. I'll know after my first track day if they are "enough" pad. If not, once I burn through them, I'll try the ME20's.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Thanks for the replies. When the time comes, likely next year sometime, I think I'll go ahead and try the MX72's. I'll know after my first track day if they are "enough" pad. If not, once I burn through them, I'll try the ME20's.
At your experience level Brent I might suggest trying the ME20's first and if they don't meet your needs on the street, then and only then give the MX72's a go.
Bish

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
At your experience level Brent I might suggest trying the ME20's first and if they don't meet your needs on the street, then and only then give the MX72's a go.
Bish
I agree with Bish, Brent. The 72's wont be enough pad for you on track. The 20's are the way to go. Just a bit of noise and dust abut NOTHING like the XP series of pads from carbotech. The ME20 is a very tolerable street pad as well.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Bish, Brent. The 72's wont be enough pad for you on track. The 20's are the way to go. Just a bit of noise and dust abut NOTHING like the XP series of pads from carbotech. The ME20 is a very tolerable street pad as well.
Thanks for chiming in, guys. I guess I'll give the ME20's a go, then.

BTW Sharif, did you get my e-mail?

·
Registered
42 Posts
What is the rotor wear like on the ME20's compared to the 72's? Rotor is a factor for me as I dont want to chew through my rotors so quick. I use my car mainly as a daily driver but go the track about once every 2 months. I go fuji speedway so although there is a lot of cool down between braking, it does have a 1.5km straight which gets up to about 270kmh so just concerned about that one corner with the 72's.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
What is the rotor wear like on the ME20's compared to the 72's? Rotor is a factor for me as I dont want to chew through my rotors so quick. I use my car mainly as a daily driver but go the track about once every 2 months. I go fuji speedway so although there is a lot of cool down between braking, it does have a 1.5km straight which gets up to about 270kmh so just concerned about that one corner with the 72's.
I would agree with Scott on this one. Sounds like based in your usage, you'd be best served with the MX72's.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
As an MX72 user - daily driver; 12 track days per year - I concur.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
One other question about the ME20's. Is the dust corrosive? The Carbotechs were not corrosive, at all. The Carbone Lorraines, on the other hand, have also completely corroded the inside of my OEM rims to the point that the fronts are actually starting to chip:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm running the Endless CC-Rg (with Alcon rotors) which I think are comparable to the ME20.

I have them on for about 14000 miles with 2 trackdays (as a beginner) on the nordschleife and a lot of autobahn which means high speeds and a lot of breaking.
My GT-R is also used as DD.

As NJR35 already wrote, they hardly squeak at all, just once a while stopping at the light. I happens when the brakes got hot right before and disappears again.
It's not bad at all!
In Australia we have used the ccRG with great success. They are a step up from MX72 yet work from 50*c (to 800*c) with similar low speed noise t MX72 (just a tad squeaky relatively). ME20's work from 300*c which you will notice on the street.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I had 10 track days on ME20's. They outperformed MX72's. Only a bit down side is they make a bit noise during low speed, but nothing like crazy. I loved them a lot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ever considered just changing pads between track and street. I run 18" wheels for the track so when I'm changing front wheels it takes less than 10 extra min to swap front pads. Go as aggressive as you want on the track and change to at silent, less-dusty, much less expensive and rotor wearing pad for street use.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am running ME20's in the front and MX72's in the rear. I had MX72's in the front and rear but they just did not bite enough hitting speeds of 185. I switched to ME20's in the front and left the MX72's in the rear and they are great at the track but do squel at low speeds when I daily drive (ME20's). I love the ME20's for a more aggressive bite and stopping power but they will eat up a set of AP J-hook set in about (guessing here) 6 (2 a) day track sessions? Chime in experts. Trust me I am NO EXPERT on braking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.