Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am interested to see which engine builders you have used recently and your perspectives. If you could post how many seasons, application, hp and mileage.
I used ACG Automative in San Diego, CA to build mine since they've taken care of me since day one and I've known the owner for quite some time. It's just a standard Manley setup for the block (w/ beefier bearings and other misc. items) with Tomei cams and Ferrea valvetrain in the heads. I've put about ~1500 miles on the setup since November 2018 and its more of a street setup than anything. My applications are generally for cruising with friends / weekend warrior. I just wanted something to reliably handle street, track and around 1200whp if I ever get there :).

Was debating on buying a block from another vendor, but I thought it was more important to support a local shop and also receive local support if I need it.

I did not dyno the car, but I assume somewhere in the 4 digit Dynojet range on my Omega 12 setup based on the 60-130.

·
Registered
631 Posts
AMS 3.8 long block - Alpha 9 Turbos - 3,500 miles bearing failure - AMS actually says with 820hp I flexed the block !!!! AMS 4.1 stroker with billet crank - oil consumption issue - 500 miles or less - AMS emails me after tear down one pull away from fried bearings and everything was within tolerance. On phone call on 04/19/19 Martin lets it slip bearings were fried. AMS 4.0 big bore, new sleeved block, billet crank - oil consumption issue - 200 miles went through 2 quarts. On break in, no boost and not even WOT. 4.0 and 4.1 did not have a single 1/4 mile run Three seasons missed.
Just curious how they're handling this for you?

·
Registered
631 Posts
@Tekizero blame game and now they won't stand behind anything unless I ship them the entire car as opposed to pulling motor and sending it back and just giving me a core back and the billet crank I have paid for more than one from them.
Sorry to hear but I can see from both sides of the story since none of this would be cheap for either of you. Partially why I wanted to do local in case anything were to happen.

What are you leaning towards doing? A lot of good reputable shops for the GT-R now that you can try if you don't want to go back to AMS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts