Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Engine builds - who did you use

12K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  TheAlpha 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am interested to see which engine builders you have used recently and your perspectives.

If you could post how many seasons, application, hp and mileage.

My AMS experience has been horrendous and absolutely miserable way to spend $65,000+ with them.

AMS 3.8 long block - Alpha 9 Turbos - 3,500 miles bearing failure - AMS actually says with 820hp I flexed the block !!!!

AMS 4.1 stroker with billet crank - oil consumption issue - 500 miles or less - AMS emails me after tear down one pull away from fried bearings and everything was within tolerance.

On phone call on 04/19/19 Martin lets it slip bearings were fried.

AMS 4.0 big bore, new sleeved block, billet crank - oil consumption issue - 200 miles went through 2 quarts. On break in, no boost and not even WOT.

4.0 and 4.1 did not have a single 1/4 mile run

Three seasons missed.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am interested to see which engine builders you have used recently and your perspectives. If you could post how many seasons, application, hp and mileage.
I used ACG Automative in San Diego, CA to build mine since they've taken care of me since day one and I've known the owner for quite some time. It's just a standard Manley setup for the block (w/ beefier bearings and other misc. items) with Tomei cams and Ferrea valvetrain in the heads. I've put about ~1500 miles on the setup since November 2018 and its more of a street setup than anything. My applications are generally for cruising with friends / weekend warrior. I just wanted something to reliably handle street, track and around 1200whp if I ever get there :).

Was debating on buying a block from another vendor, but I thought it was more important to support a local shop and also receive local support if I need it.

I did not dyno the car, but I assume somewhere in the 4 digit Dynojet range on my Omega 12 setup based on the 60-130.

#3 ·
You keep saying you miss the days of A9 - this may be a sign to start fresh!

#4 ·
AMS 3.8 long block - Alpha 9 Turbos - 3,500 miles bearing failure - AMS actually says with 820hp I flexed the block !!!! AMS 4.1 stroker with billet crank - oil consumption issue - 500 miles or less - AMS emails me after tear down one pull away from fried bearings and everything was within tolerance. On phone call on 04/19/19 Martin lets it slip bearings were fried. AMS 4.0 big bore, new sleeved block, billet crank - oil consumption issue - 200 miles went through 2 quarts. On break in, no boost and not even WOT. 4.0 and 4.1 did not have a single 1/4 mile run Three seasons missed.
Just curious how they're handling this for you?

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
As a Moderator, I don't think I should be involved with opinions...just personal situation facts:

2012 GT-R pushed to about Alpha 6 (604 WHP) on 100 octane. Upgraded further to Alpha 9 at 891 WHP, still with 100 octane. 3.8L, Shep 2.5, stock cams

20,000 miles on it as an Alpha 9, including 3 round trips to middle Florida from about the Wisconsin border. Only problem that has ever come up was recently (a few months ago); a starting problem that I posted about. AMS fixed that with an ECU Map adjustment (free).

I've worked with Eric and Ty...and Chris and Jacob with programming respectively.

Alexd

#6 ·
@Tekizero blame game and now they won't stand behind anything unless I ship them the entire car as opposed to pulling motor and sending it back and just giving me a core back and the billet crank I have paid for more than one from them.

#7 ·
Eric’s been gone for years brotha ;(. Sorely missed.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Tekizero blame game and now they won't stand behind anything unless I ship them the entire car as opposed to pulling motor and sending it back and just giving me a core back and the billet crank I have paid for more than one from them.
Sorry to hear but I can see from both sides of the story since none of this would be cheap for either of you. Partially why I wanted to do local in case anything were to happen.

What are you leaning towards doing? A lot of good reputable shops for the GT-R now that you can try if you don't want to go back to AMS.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am interested to see which engine builders you have used recently and your perspectives. If you could post how many seasons, application, hp and mileage. My AMS experience has been horrendous and absolutely miserable way to spend $65,000+ with them. AMS 3.8 long block - Alpha 9 Turbos - 3,500 miles bearing failure - AMS actually says with 820hp I flexed the block !!!! AMS 4.1 stroker with billet crank - oil consumption issue - 500 miles or less - AMS emails me after tear down one pull away from fried bearings and everything was within tolerance. On phone call on 04/19/19 Martin lets it slip bearings were fried. AMS 4.0 big bore, new sleeved block, billet crank - oil consumption issue - 200 miles went through 2 quarts. On break in, no boost and not even WOT. 4.0 and 4.1 did not have a single 1/4 mile run Three seasons missed.
Sorry I didn't see this till now. So sorry to hear brother.

Shops don't understand the frustration and time lost but not just time missed on use of the car but all the time involved trying to resolve this stuff. And not to mention the roller coaster of emotions.

If you send them the car, it should be on them. Actually hopefully they step up and cover everything.

#10 ·
Thanks man, yeah it sucks, but I’ve moved on and hopefully so have the issues.

#11 ·
Very disheartening to hear that a business like AMS is starting to drop the ball. Especially to a longtime loyal customer like yourself. They're advertising on the Ford Raptor Forum that they're starting to manufacture parts for our trucks. Not a good look at all.

#13 ·
I have no personal "engine building" experience with either of them, but it seems like TSM or T1 would be the most logical choices. I really can't say that I've EVER heard much bad press about either of them and their principals (Cicio and Tony P) seem to be some very, very knowledgeable and down to earth guys. Just my 2 cents......

#14 ·
Wow! Didnt realize that all this took place, I did know you were having some issues. Yes, sometimes cutting your losses is better than continuing! Good Luck and if I can help out anyway, shoot me a PM.

#16 ·
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

At this point, going elsewhere, just for the piece of mind, is worth a lot of money. I can't understand how they could mess this up that many times.

There is no way I would send them my car after this experience (meaning send it back to them to fix).

#18 ·
You getting the engine done there ? Or just buying the parts ?

It’s Tony or Cicio these days if you are going big.

IIRC - you are in Cali right ? At l your power level there are a handful of guys in your area that have good reviews from guys on here running more power.

Post your location and others can chime in.

#20 ·
You can go with Ronnie at RD Engineering in Oxnard or James Wie with ACG in San Diego. Both are good. I would not go to SP Engineering, although they built my engine and I have not had any issues with it. I had to replace the transmission and trubos, though.

RD uses a 30mm turbo setup to get close to 1200 at the wheels. That is a very fast spooling turbo. I have the elite prime turbos on my car which are 35mm turbos.

#21 ·
Good timing on this post. Having issues with my 5k mile engine with low oil pressure issues. I have an AMS shortblock, but I will say I don't blame these issues on AMS. The previous owner of the car, and the guy who paid for the build, transferred a lot of parts from the 78k mile stock longblock to the AMS shortblock. Timing chains made noise since I've owned it, valve stem seals are sucking oil on heavy decel from at least 3 cylinders, and I believe it knocks because of that very reason. Not good for the shortblock.

Regardless, I'm on the hunt for a new longblock. I don't want to re-use a single bolt or sensor if I can avoid it. Just found RD Engineerings website and pricing seems great, logged on here to do a search. RD sounds promising.

#23 ·
That's a good sign that you are in the right place, they are probably fixing everyone else's mistake on the west coast lol. So far I have 3 independent referrals to RD, one of them being a personal friend who has a built Evo so it seems that's the shop to go to.

#24 ·
*+1 I didn’t want to mention specific shops I have not dealt with directly, but think for your goals you should have no issues with those mentioned.

I’m a big fan to try to remain local if possible. Everything from track support to random gremlins.

#25 ·
*+1 I didn’t want to mention specific shops I have not dealt with directly, but think for your goals you should have no issues with those mentioned.

I’m a big fan to try to remain local if possible. Everything from track support to random gremlins.

I agree, and there are other shops in the Midwest besides AMS. (in a PM only, I'll speak to that)

Alexd

#26 ·
When I bought my '15 used from the original owner in the Summer of 2019, my car had had all of its modifications done at RD Engineering. FBO plus his "RDE800" turbos. The car was extremely well-sorted and drove beautifully. Ronnie was tough to get a hold of but when I did, it was easy to tell that he lived and breathed GT-R's. You'd be in good hands there, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.