Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I started my engine this morning and the car say's "Engine oil level low, visit dealership". The car is a 2012, bought it new and only 3700 miles to date. I will be getting an oil change next week for the first time. So i'm wondering what could have caused the engine to be running low on oil.... My car is running with AAM Midpipe, AAM exhaust and K&N drop in filters. Also, is it safe to drive it to the dealership for service? Any input is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
add oil.....

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Well just add oil for now and take it to the dealer. I heard that when the car is new it burns more oil?? Don't quote me on that though

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Mine burned quite a bit of oil when new as well. Just top it up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 12 would randomly do that too around 4K miles and I ignored it because I thougt it might be saying that because it was cold or I was parked at an angle. However, when I had the fluids changed a few weeks ago the oil was in fact low and very black.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nissan has a quiet history of engines which burn some oil. Some more then others. There is the old sentra r engines which was blamed on how Nissan went about doing the EGR by reversing flow in the headers and the catalytic converters were so close to the engine that they became damaged by heat and then with the EGR function pieces were sent into the engine causing damage. Then there is the 2006 350z and infinity G series engines referred to as "revup" engines which had a higher redline of 7k on the manual only transmission cars. This was a one model year edition of the engine. Some burned a lot of oil. Most burned just a little. I had one. It burned through 1 qt or so every 3k miles but this would increase with more aggressive driving with redlining the engine. Several people had there engines blow because of low oil levels and the indicator light NEVER even went off. Check my350z.com. Many people had short block then long block replacements. It was never clear as to the reason. Faulty rings, different rings, different or faulty aluminum alloy for the heads, etc. It wasn't all blow by because you could burn 2 qts of oil and not even collect a 1/2 a qt in a catch can. My cylinder pressures were always normal at over 180. It got a little better with time but never zero. I know the gtr is a whole new engine with different everything. But it's still Nissan. Who knowns who made the rings or if they changed the rings for the 2012. Who knows about the company who produced the aluminum heads. Certainly any company can have an occasional bad product. If the aluminum alloy mixture is off then when the heads heat up they may not expand symmetrically. This can cause gaps between the rings and the cylinder walls. Maybe it gets better with time and certainly some engines now days with higher end rings continue to break in for some time. High revving on a young engine may break it in sooner but may also cause more blow by. It looks like Nissan at least learned one lesson. The low oil pressure indicator light now turns on before the engine blows. :-/ And many engines by other car companies burn oil. More so with race engines/high reving engines. You want something exotic. You got it, and all it's maintenance and nuances. Just like with Rolex, Lambos, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.